Clueless Coach or Dumb Dumards

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Nov 1, 2010.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This seems reasonable to me. The Pistons have much bigger issues than the garbage time rotations.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That makes a lot of sense. I don't know if it's true, but he seems to be someone who isn't quite sure how long his legs and arms are. Call it hops or just athletic ability, but something's missing.
  3. Brap

Brap Starter

Just totally disagree with you guys about Daye. Daye has no problems at all getting his shot off - he has a lot to learn, and he will since he's a very intelligent player, but he already is a fine shotmaker, even under heavy pressure. And his length allows him to play off SG's and SF's. As for his length at SF, he's one of the longest guys in the league there; he does have a height and length advantage over most guys at his position. And he is stronger this season, although he certainly has a way to go.

Could he ever be a legit option at PF? I think so, in a couple seasons, but that remains to be seen.
  4. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Other than his height, I've never seen anything that suggested he'd be successful at PF. At best he could be a Rashard Lewis type, but that would suggest we had someone like Dwight Howard on the team to allow that. He'd also have to improve a lot defensively.
  5. dba

He can get a shot off because he's taking a third of his attempts from beyond the arc. So first, I'm not sure being able to get a three off at 6'10" is that much of a recommendation. I also don't see the fine shotmaker part. He's shooting less than 40% overall, 41% from three and 39% from two. At 6'10" if you can hit more than 39% of your two point shots, something seems wrong.

He's a skinny kid with a decent long range shot. And probably will shoot better from closer in as he starts to figure out the game. I'm trying to see him in a better light, but I just don't see much so far that suggests he will be anything other than a deep bench guy.

I'd like to be wrong, and often am, but his courtsense seems weak, his shooting suspect,and while he's not an awful rebounder, unless he gets a whole lot stronger, he's not going to get much better.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

On an eFG% basis, Daye is surprisingly bad so far this year.

He's at .465.

The only guys worse on the Pistons are:
    Bynum at .450
    Monroe at .449
    And Stuckey at .439
  7. BillLaimbeer

He had a couple (2-for-11, 2-for-12) really crappy games at the start of the season. Throw those two out and his FG% goes from 39.4% to 43.2%. The kid can shoot. He needs more shots.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I realize that he can shoot, but just pointing out that his overall game hasn't produced efficiency so far.

It's obvious that if he's open, he's one of our most accurate shooters. He's also able to get his shot off easier because he's tall. But he's shooting .364 in the paint, which is hurting his overall percentage. He's shooting with an eFG of .471 outside the paint (compared to only .512 for Ben Gordon). However, Ben Gordon is at .537 inside the paint, even while getting blocked on 13% of those attempts.

Daye is 6'11" and he's playing soft. He's not getting to the paint much and when he does, he's getting shut down. Prince is maybe the best comparison. Prince shoots worse from the perimeter, but he gets to the paint almost twice as often and shoots .721 when he does.

In summary, very nice shooter, but he's giving it away with a weak inside game. He gets blocked as much as Ben Gordon in the paint, which is terrible.
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think he will improve with playing time but right now he is not sure what to expect when he gets in the paint. He needs to be more aggressive down there but right now I don't think he has the confidence. You need to be confident you can score over people in the paint and right now he is just not sure what his abilities are down there. The more he is able to convert in the paint; the more confident he will become.

It almost takes a little arrogance to be good in the paint and right now he is not. Most of the dominant paint players have an attitude that says "you can't stop me down here". Right now he is just not sure of himself. Playing time and shot attempts will help cure this along with someone getting in his ear and telling him to trust his ability and be aggressive.
  10. BillLaimbeer

Okay, I agree with you. It's Stuckey's fault.
  11. Brap

Brap Starter

He was shooting great when Q yanked him out of the lineup. Down the road, the kid is a 20 point scorer in this league - no doubt in my mind about that. He should be playing serious minutes every game. It's 1000 times more important to develop him than it is to play McGrady, Rip or Tay.
  12. BillLaimbeer

The recent surges by McGrady and Tay may increase their stock as Joe D looks to make a move or two (I'm hoping). Yes, Daye needs to play, but there is probably a lot more going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I swear some of y'all need to watch teams other than The Pistons sometimes so you could get a better gauge on our roster, especially when it comes to the younger players. Calling some of you 'jaded' would be an understatement.
  14. BillLaimbeer

Austin Daye = Mike Dunleavy?
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Nope. Sasha Vujacic. Although in Daye's case the aggressiveness is diluted due to the additional height.
  16. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At this point, if we could unload Tay for a first rounder, I'd be happy. Same with T-Mac. Two more first round picks that Joe can either trade away or mis-use the better!
  17. dba

I was thinking Radmonovic. But it could be the green lenses in my glasses.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree with this.
    If Daye is "great", then rooks like Gary Forbes here in Denver and Gary Neal in San Antonio are also "great".

...Chase Budinger is a lock for the HOF!
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Every time you watch a Pistons game, you're also watching another team.

Secondly, we had Chase Budinger. I can't believe he's making it to the hall.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dumb Dumards