Clueless Coach or Dumb Dumards

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Nov 1, 2010.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

If Hamilton is still on the team in a year and a half (and it wouldn't surprise me if he was) we are in a world's of trouble.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I tried to erase the memory of the game, but seems like I recall Rip being out there end throwing up brix...and mot playing any defense.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I can't believe Charlie V is hurt.
  4. max

max All-Star

Not so much the CB trade itself as what followed. Extending Rip and then signing Ben and CV.

CV one can view as an acceptable risk at the time. Maybe a mil or 2/yr over what one would expect for taking a chance on a big but at the time there was a chance that he could have worked out. Perhaps with a different coach he may have but it is what it is.

My 2 main issues are extending Rip and then signing BG because that tied up about 23 mil/yr at that one position. And he should have known that they would be stepping over each other at that position.

Secondly, it kills me how Denver has what could have been our current front court. CB/Afflallo with Stuckey/Bynum backing them up would have been a hell of a lot better than what we have and much cheaper - freed up some funds to work on the front court.

Not so much any one mistake as a seemingly sequence of mistakes that compounded on each other. Its pretty much been a dumb show at the helm for the past couple of years. And since Dumars hired Keuster the buck stops with him.
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Who knows...Joe may be reluctant to move Rip because he wants Rip to be OK with any proposed trade.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but I'm afraid that you may be absolutely correct on this one.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

George Irvine (1)
    Rick Carlisle (2)
    Larry Brown (2)
    Flip Saunders (3)
    Michael Curry (1)
    John Kuester (1)

6 coaches in 10 years for Joe Dumars.
  10. LA Dre

Seems like he is trying keep up with the Lions coaching carousel
  11. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons went through 4 other head coaches in the 6 years prior to that:

Alvin Gentry (1)
    Doug Collins (2)
    Don Chaney (2)
    Ron Rothstein (1)
  12. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Aside from Ben Gordon refusing a 5 year/50 million dollar extension and simply signing the qualifying offer a year before?

Or did I miss sarcasm?
  13. LA Dre

And during the past 23 seasons, the Jazz have had just one coach and have never won a title....compared to the Pistons 3 during that time frame....maybe we expect to much out of our coaches...:sssh:
  14. pgrnpacer

pgrnpacer First Round Draft Pick

You know this is 110% accurate.....think about it. McDyess back to San Antonio....where else would he ever want to be? Billups back to his hometown of Denver? Then Billups back to his hometown before Rip even got to call his homey to tell him he signed an extension with the Pistons? Dumars owes Rip for having backstabbed him and then having his starting role taken away from him by a shoddy coach in MCurry that Dumars put there in the first place. Now he has BG making a ridiculously huge case to start in his place.

In Dumars' head he has to put him somewhere he wants to be. I truly believe that this is going to explode on him when a new owner steps in and sees EXACTLY this situation taking place. Dumars will end up changing roles and be put in charge of a different part of the organization. This is my prediction. His loyalty is a blessing and a curse....it will bring a few players to Detroit that wouldn't even consider it but it will be his undoing as well.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

when I heard that BG did not sign an extension "well, he wants more money. Bulls can afford it".
  16. BillLaimbeer

17. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

The article really read like the PF. Especially the part about less deserving teams winning it all and the Pistons just hanging around the ECF year after year. I could just see all of the Flip bashers smiling at those lines. Interesting to see the writer was out of Colorado. He's certainly enjoying his plate full of Piston leftovers in Rocky-land.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not bad, but some revisionist history on the Billups trade. Not many bought that trade. Some chose to live with it and hope, but pretty much nobody felt the trade made us a better team. What hope there was centered on who we would get for the cap money from AI's expiring contract. Well, we got Gordon, while giving away Afflalo, and CV, while giving away Amir.

How good are Gordon and CV: We would be much better off if we had Afflalo and Amir instead. So, in all, we just gave Billups to Denver because Billups wanted to go back to his home town, and then gave Billups Afflalo. Next, Dumars gave Amir to Hammonds. (Who in turn traded him for Delfino, another gifted player to the NBA.)

And despite having a much worse team now, we still got a nice large payroll. Just one that can't result in wins.

Well, I will temper that last. We could get wins with this roster, but not with this coach. The part in the article about Tay wearing out - probably from watching him play the crunch time minutes in the last couple of games - totally ineffectively as he was around the 40 minute mark in playing time; where he can only handle 30 minutes. For Kuester to not know this kind of stuff yet, well, all I can say is the guy needs to be fired. Only if we had a GM who cared.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

20. BillLaimbeer

I think many still believe that.