Clueless Coach or Dumb Dumards

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Nov 1, 2010.

1. raxrets

raxrets Starter

wow, wow, wow.

Ppl are discussing Corliss Williamson. Coriss williamson

what next? cristian laettner? olden polynice???

:cold:

I think those names are reserved for lockout year
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, one could almost believe this is a Pistons forum with all the talk about past and present Pistons players.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Starter

but seriously talking, all this nostalgic "could/would" reflects belief here that CURRENT franchise has no remarkable future unless something radical happens.
  4. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Like dressing the players up in teal uniforms?
  5. max

max All-Star

There has to be some kind of restriction on what Dumars can do while the team is being sold. Either they told him to not make any deals that would change the team payroll or told him to not make any moves at all until its sold. We did not even use out MLE last summer - did we? Signed T-Mac and Ben to min contracts and that was about it.

I just cannot believe that Dumars ( or any GM for that matter ) would not make at least one trade.
  6. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

From a deftly loyal DUmars fan, put me on record as saying that I am TOTALLY disappointed in Dumars.

I surely am hoping that his hands are tied due to the pending sale of the pistons. I just cannot see him sitting back observing our pathetic team as it stands now.

I have all kind of feelers out POC's at the palace trying to feed me some inside info. No such luck this time. Mums the word which is highly unusual, at least one of my peeps end up giving me something to go on. NOTHING.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The Okur thing was due to the current rules at the time. We simply had no way to sign him for what he was worth. Some speculate that if we had played him more, he might possibly have signed for cheap with us knowing that we would reward him a year later with a good contract. But that is speculation only. Okur, no matter how we treated him, might have opted for a few more million dollars vs. loyally staying a Piston. Who knows.

The funny thing there is - with us letting Corliss go, a guy who we had played a lot of minutes at power forward much of the season, there sure ended up being all the minutes Dyess could handle that season after Okur left. I wonder if there was any coordination in the communication on that - maybe its possible that Okur would have stayed, if it was explained to him quickly that we were going to have the minutes available the following season. Again, who knows.
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

if JoeD really refuses ANY trade offer for RIP, he needs to go right now. If not, he needs to go as soon as a good GM seems available. I'm done with him, he has shown that he either was lucky OR never acting himself, but Hammond who now runs a successfull team in Milwaukee...
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought we let go of Corliss at the perfect time. His skills were seriously declining and it was time to part ways. I would call that a good move by Dumars.
  10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

agree.... the problem was the lack of development by the kids after the vets left... blame it on the kids themselves or the coach. But I keep looking at how the lakers played there kids to find out what they had unlike us who let them sit and asume they couldn't play.
  11. max

max All-Star

Yes and they changed that rule concerning being able to go over the cap to re-sign 2nd rounders the very next season. Who knows - he also wanted to start and was not getting along with LB - just did not whine about it like other Pistons did with other coaches.

Its a shame we had to lose our bench after 04.

Some of the biggest mistakes to me were letting Afflalo and Amir go for nothing, signing BG while we still had Rip. Anointing Stuck as the PG of the future way too soon. The CB trade could have worked to our advantage had he made a better choice of FA's that he used the cap space for. And of couse the coaching hires have not been very good. Flip was an awfull fit and Q should have stayed as an assistant.

Only real good moves he has done are his draft picks. I like the Monroe pick, JJ was a steal last year. I still do like the Daye and Summers picks even though Summers does not play much. He seems like a pretty solid bench guy if we ever use him.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In 2005 (the year we had Tay guarding Tim Duncan in game 7 of the NBA Finals), he increased his scoring and his rebounding on a gross basis and per minute basis. He was only 30 years old when we ditched him.

We traded him for Derrick Coleman and Amal McCaskill. We waived both players and paid them a combined $7.5M for 50 minutes of work.

Philly then traded Corliss (+Kenny Thomas and Skinner) for Matt Barnes and Chris Webber.

I guess it allowed us to get out of Corliss's contract one year early, but we went for future cap savings when we could have used a productive post player to get us ship #2 and past the ECF game 6.

As far as Okur goes... can't a GM see further than 1 year ahead? There was no way to keep a break out bigman? When he drafted him and saw promise, he didn't think to manage for a contract renewal at all?
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've been a big Okur fan. At the time, it was either Sheed or Okur. Dumars chose Sheed.
  14. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I was a big okur fan as well. I think Sheeds defense was far ahead of Okurs and I dont think memo was ever gonna be mistaken for a defensive stopper.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We draft Darko and he doesn't pan out so we let him go.
    We draft Okur and he does pan out so we let him go.

We had some serious beef on that '04 team:
    Ben
    Sheed
    Memo
    Darko
    Campbell
    Corliss

It's amazing how thin we are now.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The one thing Joe can't be blamed for, is losing Memo. It was Memo or Sheed.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We were paying:
    $6.3M for Sura
    $3.6M for Darko
    $4.2M for Rebraca
    $3.9M for Atkins
    $3.0M for Hubert Davis
    $3.0M for Hunter
    $0.8M for Ham

There was no way we could have possibly managed it any differently so that we could keep Okur? He only signed for $7.5M. What would the luxury tax damage have been?

The next season, we picked up:
    $5.0M for McDyess
    $1.7M for Smush/ Dupree/ Jenkins (ala "the butler")
    $1.6M for Hunter (resigned)

then
    $4M for Arroyo
    $3M for Davis
  18. max

max All-Star

As I recall he would have had to waive Sheed in order to sign Okur. Back then resigning 2nd round picks were treated as FA's in that you had to have the spare soft cap to sign them. After Sheed all he had left was the MLE.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I guess we used the MLE on Dyess. What a strange situation that we couldn't defend our renewing draft pick, but we could pay almost as much to pick up a vet.

Oh well, Dyess was the man. I have no complaints with what he brought or how we got him back (by colluding with him) in the Chauncey+Dyess for AI disaster.
  20. max

max All-Star

Not 7.5mil. Basically any long range plans to retain Okur went out the window with the mid-season Sheed trade. I don't know if they would or would not have had the 7.5 mil to sign Okur if the Sheed trade never would have happened. That was a lot of cash back then. Then you go on to win a championship with Sheed as a starter - had to pick Sheed.