Clueless Coach or Dumb Dumards

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Nov 1, 2010.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is there anyone available out there that can take Qlueless place? I am not sure if I even trust the assistants to lead this rag tag team.

I haven't seen the last two games so don't know what transpired or why Rip blew up enough to get tossed, but three strikes in 22 games is bordering on Sheed territory and maybe a benching for two games will get him back focused on playing with his team. Have to assume that neither Joe or Q thought that was necessary though. I am sure that Rip's trade value has taken a hit with his attitude/hot headed-ness. We may be stuck with him........:yellowprison:
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No kidding. I'm surprised people on this forum don't even understand the sarcasm.
  3. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Every fan of detroit we have our own idea of the situation,on Kuester, I think Dumars wants to keep until the end of the season because it is a way to help our team does not win too many games.

If next year Hamilton and Prince are no longer on the team and we can finally start a project from scratch, although many colleagues in this forum and other fans of the pistons in Spain prefer an elite coach, in my subjective opinion of a coach character of Bill Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn with another assistant coach known for his ability to develop young players seem to me the best option.I prefer Laimbeer coaching a young team because your goal should be to give the character of the pistons in the locker room and low to develop the capacity of the workforce.
    If Laimbeer fail with a competitive team after two years as it is doing Kuester(with an unbalanced roster without bigs), the manager of the team could replace him, but it would be a great option to recover the piston philosophy and the fans who love the warlike character of the badboys.
    I do not know what has been said in this forum, the differences between Bill Laimbeer and Joe Dumars, if an obstacle is too great for the arrival of Laimbeer and Mahorn as coaches.

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ooh, time to resurrect the Laimbeer coaching debate. Fun!
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, it's been a while, hasn't it. :)

Laimbs would be a much better coach than Kuester. At least his courtside body language would say "I'm gonna rip your throat out" as opposed to "OMG, I can't believe someone spilled ketchup on my satin tablecloth".
  6. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Cripes, why not offer Rodman a frickin job. Even at Ben Wallaces age he was averaging 15 boards a game for the Bulls.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Q is indeed a bad coach, but he's been given a bad hand to boot. I think when Tom Wilson is back in as CEO of PSE Joe and Q will both be relieved of their duties at the end of the year. Hello Kevin Pritchard and Jeff VanGundy
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

I hate the decisions Q is making to play Maxiell signficant minutes every game, and to overplay Rip and Tay - at the expense of Daye, Gordon and even Summers. I'd much rather give CV minutes instead of Maxiell, but am not sure CV is the future of our club since he's just not good enough defensively.

I'm thrilled that Monroe is now a key rotation guy. I think he's going to be great in this league, and playing a lot in yr 1 at age 20 is super for his development.

But Q has been dealt a terrible hand since aside from Monroe, a rookie who is nowhere near the player on D he's going to become, since he's so young and inexperienced, he's got nobody on his roster who's got any size. His perimeter players have to help whenever the ball goes inside and just cannot get back into position fast enough to bother perimeter shooters. When the Pistons were great, we never ever doubled anyone inside. Sheed could cover any big man inside 1 on 1, Ben was the best help defender big man in league history, and we had great size and length on the perimeter in Chauncey, Rip and Tay. We locked up teams - reliably.

It just isn't possible to do that with the big man deficiencies of this roster. That isn't Q's fault.

Truth is, this roster just cannot defend and that makes for an ugly win/loss season - with terrible games like last night being a regular feature we just have to live with.
  9. Walter

It is Kuester's fault. It is obvious to everyone, even Kuester, that we have size problems on this team. It is pretty much a given that any opposing big guy (with the exception of Dwight Howard) will have a career night against the Pistons. But, you can still win the game. Perfect example is the Minnesota game. Yes, Kevin Love was making all the fantasy owners squeal with delight and yes Darko was punishing everybody around the basket, but WE HAD THAT GAME IN THE BAG UNTIL KUESTER SCREWED IT UP! He went midget ball lineup, Bynum-Gordon-Rip-Prince-Monroe against that team and the Wolves grabbed 6 offensive rebounds in 3 minutes! To put it in perspective, that's almost one offensive rebound PER POSESSION!

Some games, you won't win no matter what you do; like those against the likes of Celtics, Lakers, Heat etc. But some games, you CAN win with this roster if only the coach had half a brain.
  10. max

max All-Star

Its not a good team but its also not a 7-19 lottery bound bottom dweller either. Based on the lack of any type of consistency and from some of the player comments to that effect Q is not doing his job. If it was one player then fine but several players have commented on the lack of direction and lack of understanding of where they fit in.

Q needs to go.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

OK where is the new EXIT Q poll?
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You know that you have a size problem when you can't get a shot up against a top 3 draft bust of all time.
  13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

... who happens to be the league leader in blocks
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

A breakdown of the team by different categories from a numbers view. The short version? We suck at everything but offensive rebounds, in which we are mediocre!

A simple question with a simple answer | Pistons by the Numbers
  15. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I know in that game last night against the Lakers that garbage time started with 8 minutes left but can someone please tell me what kind of f------ line up that was that Q finished the game with???

I can understand resting some guys and getting some guys off the bench some minutes but for God's sake; at least put them in their correct positions. We finished the game with the current players and I am only guessing as to what position they were playing since it was dam near impossible to tell.

Bynum - PG
    Daye - SG
    Summers - SF
    Max - PF
    Monroe - C

Daye is not a SG; he is a small forward. Summers is not a SF; he is a PF. Max is not a PF; he is a BW (bench warmer).

That just shows me that the coach doesn't even have a clue as to what to do with garbage time. Use it like a practice for guys that don't see regular minutes in an NBA. Maybe even teach them a thing ot two about what you are trying to do as a coach.

UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Brap

Brap Starter

I love Daye at SG. He's going to be a big matchup problem at any position he plays - but he'll dominate the hell our of SG's.

Daye, even more than Gordon, is entirely unaffected by defenders putting hands up to contest their shots or in being crowded. At SG, he'll tower over any defender on him, and won't be muscled out of his position.

Stuckey, Daye and Bengo off the bench would be ideal as our main guard rotation, with a backup PG when Daye and Monroe without Stuckey aren't effective running the offense through them or when Daye is moved to SF a lot in a game. I'm hoping White could be that 4th guard, but it's way too early to annoint him.
  17. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Daye will not be able to keep up with SG in the league.
  18. Walter

I don't buy into this whole notion of Daye creating matchup nightmares in any position he plays. At least not for the opposition.

SG: At 6' 10", yes he can tower and shoot over almost any SG in the league. On the offensive end, he would be an advantage. However, many SGs in the league are much faster than him, so he would need help on the defensive end. He's got long arms and can alter shots, but that's not gonna do him any good if his man just zips by him. This position for Daye remains a most intriguing option, but there 48238817 other SGs on the roster which makes experimenting with this a near impossible proposition.

SF: This is really Daye's natural position, but his height is not that much of an advantage here. There are many tall SFs in the league. There are also a lot of really strong SFs in the league that can push Daye around. Still, with his sweet outside shooting and ability to put the ball on the floor, SF is a good position for him.

PF: Let's just not go there.

PG/C: n/a

So, my long-winded point is that this kid can ball and he is a great asset to the Pistons; either as a rotation player or as a trade piece. We need to play him more. Not that it would make any difference for this rudderless ship, but at least we'd get to see what he can do in the real NBA (no the preseason crap).
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

(1)SUMMERS IS NOT A PF!!!!! HE IS A SF!!!! THAT'S WHAT HE PLAYED IN COLLEGE!!!!!! UUUGGGGHHH!!!!!! Sorry for yelling.

(2)Austin Daye: Funny while watching the game last night I said to myself, Daye is the shortest-tall player in the entire league. Austin hit a growth spurt late in life and you can tell, he is clueless as to how to use his length, also he has ZERO hops so the release on his shot is pretty much equal to Rips. This kid has a loooooong way to go and I really don't know how good he is or isn't, but he damn sure isn't a sure fire Baller. Also at the 2 he'll get toasted, on and (especially) off the ball, he's too long and slow to chase 2-guards around in a halfcourt set.
    Right kniw he's an inconsistent backup SF who's making a ton of mistakes. In the future I think he's an undersized PF who'll have to figure out how to punish bigger players on the perimeter.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good posts.