1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Coach Q

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by hitafreethrow, Apr 21, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'll give you that.

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

as a doomsayer it is easy to be right.

so what?

"You have to earn your minutes". Kurt Rambis, head coach of Minnesota Timberwolves, team deeper in lottery than Pistons. Even Rambis said it although all what he had to do was hand out minutes for rookies.

3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think that is his general intent, or a particular emphasis he likes to concentrate on. There are extreme flaws most evident on leadership levels. My question: is it evident they are learning from their mistakes?

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.” Winston Churchill ...

4. pass99

Roscoe, another great post and very balanced.

Some notes on your points:

1. Injures did indeed occur and I never felt that this club (to balance this) gathered themselves together to push at another level. Could we say that this was a hold-over from last year(s)? I noticed a very non-descript attitude beyond the perfunctory team-mate encouragement that looks good to the fan base. This season was not a failure, but +perhaps something more: no extraneous effort from the core about what the fans have come to historically expect. Some, while hurt, did not dress for the games. Not a good sign.

2. This playing time thing is always particular from within any club. Rip and Tay could never not play enough. When you level in BenW, Sheed, Rip, Tay and the CB...what is left. Expectations from these core players was expected and it was never challenged. Only JMax is left. Others just drifted off. Some are still playing basketball games.

3. Injuries are part of the game. As mentioned before, what is the reaction from management and the rest of the players.

4. Heavy minutes are expected as you suggested. In the heavy 30 minute range one would expect RIP, Tay, JMax and BenW to play on the first squad. JJ and the chance of others to mix in the flow was a very big benefit. Potentials and opinions about their talent level concerning their future fit exposed their problem areas. Next year will benefit greater scrutiny by us.

5. Atkins was an insurance pickup and I thought he did a very good job. Perhaps the most important score card was how he did stabilize a PG mental outlook on the job. This was very evident. It should also be mentioned that our lacking became evident when the second-third-fourth level PG's from opposing teams made us stand still. Yes, there was no interior big men to balance, but the over-all approach to get everyone involved was most noticeable.

6. Kevin Durant is no bench-press champion, but he can score. This association about build and offensive power should help Daye. He might eventually become a powerful 4 that slides easily into the 3 position. Much like Rashard Lewis, who has failed to develop beyond his expected potential. It all depends on how he develops himself. Knowing the pedigree, I think his future is bright. Much like Stuckey, we have the opportunity to see how he develops on-the-cheap. We disagree on the ball handling. He reacts naturally facing the basket and this always includes confidence in placing the ball correctly. He looks very smooth with and without the ball. Next to Tay, can you name anyone else on the club that gains enough space in following his rhythm with ball-in-hand? This of course must disregard Tay's minutes of backing his man down when he must force a motion.

7. Summers needs the right team and this is not the team. He is NBA body ready and has a nice stroke. I agree, he will match up and feel out his right position on another team. One of many, that will have to understand the flickering effloresce of NBA subways.

8. CV needs a big brother. At the beginning of this season (I mean the last), when he was asked about his role on the team, he mentioned, in a non-challenging way, that it was fine with him to come off the bench. He will have to get his mind right about this if he wants to stay a Piston.
    If not, then Q might give him the tutor role from the bench, along with Kwame, on how truncated texting might be mis-interpreted.

9. JJ's motor was and is his life line. Q had no say in the issue. On most teams this would be an embarrassment. Not on this one. Rip settled into his old routine and Tay thought otherwise. Sand-bagging all the way. The playing time and earning it was a far-away distance. It was all shadow-dancing on past history and the administration comfortably provided the music. Playing earning time on this team (in the aggregate) would have left Q with starting five from three.

10. As assistant and the opportunity to head coach an NBA team is a dream much like hounding the corridors of Goldman Sachs. Playing the right way is not the issue. Talent is not the issue, but placement at the right time is. He is a pawn that reacts to certain algorithms and it's not such a bad thing to know some accounting tales with a skin tone too match.

5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

@Pass99 and Lee356.

GMing is not chess where everyone plays under very strict rules with toys designed only to fill narrow roles.

That is by far your biggest flaw in analysing GMing/coaching.

Ken Holland has said: you try to identify your core group ( inside the team), sign 'em and PRAY THAT YOU HAVE MADE THE RIGHT SELECTION.

Ken Holland is pretty lucky - he has owner who does not mind spending money yet all he can do at the end of the day - to pray.

a hint: NBA talent pool is pretty small - from 60 drafted players every year at best 15-20 will have NBA career).

yeah, in ideal world GM assesses the needs and picks up suitable player but usually for NBA GM that particular player is not available, or you can't be sure whether this players is capable of filling your wishlist or not.

6. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Letting go of a first year head coach for not overacheiving with an unbalanced, mediocre roster seems a bit harsh eh? It's arguable if this job is even attractive, big contracts with no young or old talent you'd bet your coaching future on, an owner with a horrendous track record with coaches, and the division thats going to be dominated by LeBron and Rose for the foresee able future.

Give em a fighting chance.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Put yourself in Coach Q's shoes or ANY rookie coach, for that matter.

Are you really going to make it your priority to develop rookies for the future good of the franchise or are you going to do everything that you can to win as many games as possible right now to increase the likelihood that you will be a part of that future? Realistically, What would YOU do if you were the coach?

Even a guy who has no need to prove himself (like Larry Brown) hardly sacrificed the current success of the team to play a rookie (we aren't talking guys with ability like Dwyane Wade or Melo as a rookie). I don't think it would be fair to ask coach Q to do it either. If those rookies gave them a better chance to win NOW, believe me...they WOULD play them.

Jerebko gave them a better chance to win now...so guess what? He got playing time. We aren't looking at a Curry situation. Yes, he dressed and coached like a clown. Q is no fool and anyone here who thinks they can coach better than him, is, in my opinion, a bigger buffoon than Curry!

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Somebody had extra fiber for breakfast today!

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like one person is in favor ousting Q, a few on the fence and an overwhelming group in favor of letting him try it again next season..

Just wonder how many of the guys on Q's bandwagon will be upset and vocal if Joe was to dismiss Kuester and replace him this summer with either BScott, JVanGundy or Avery Johnson??? You know Joe....if there is another coach available that calls and inquires (ala Flip) Joe might hire him....:sssh:

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Dre,

I don't think anyone is implying that there are not better or more seasoned coaches out there. I think that the opinion here is that Kuester deserves another chance.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Avery Johnson or Byron Scott as coaches.:stirthepot:

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Scott or JVG would be a bad hire. Neither can take you all the way. I'm not saying Q can, but neither one would be much of an upgrade over Q. And, if AJ didn't work last summer, there's no reason why it would work now.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd agree.

JVG is too defensive minded to coach these days. I doubt he'll ever get another team. And the AJ value for salary equation didn't work last year so I doubt it works now.

I don't really have a clue about Scott, but I don't see much to put him over Q.

13. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Yea...I'm the one who wants Q fired. Just didn't see him as worth keeping. At least I get to state my opinion without seeing pitchforks...:)

14. pass99

15. pass99

There are three big factors here: one, the price is right. Two, it would tinge the lessening reputation of JD on the excessive coaching merry-g-round. Third, in order to get a first rate coach, you have to acquiescence some authority levels. The word is out: the Pistons will settle your ass on the fringe of sharp edges and you best come with heavy calluses; because the rookies are raw underlings and the vets will make you bleed.

JD tried with Johnson. JVG thinks like the right attitude is close to the 1950's. Scott might be the best choice,, but then he always felt slightly superior (like the snot Carlisle) to what was going on. Might be too much independence for JD. In short, Q has the reins and will probably close out next year. New ownership might change directions and we may all be out of jobs.