Coach Skiles

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by justise32, May 5, 2006.

1. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

Did anyone see the verbal confrontation between Coach Skiles and Antoine Walker during the Heat/Bulls Game 6? Both ended up getting technicals.
    I remember when Skiles was talking trash to Rip Hamilton in the Chicago game (the one Hamilton got ejected in). He claimed back then that he never addresses other players; he implied then that Rip was lying about him talking trash; he would never address other plays in that type of manner; etc....:fingerscr YEA RIGHT!!!
    Looks like he had plenty to say to Antonie Walker.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I kind of wished they would have let Skiles go. D Wade was holding him back. It would have been interesting to see him take on Antoine Walker.

I like Skiles. I don't think it hurts to have a coach get fired up. The Bulls are in desperate need of someone who can put the ball in the hoop though...what a pitiful performance.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Bulls were struggling and I think Skiles was desperate to get his team fired up. Skiles is the type of guy that everyone hates except the people on his team. He talked trash in East Lansing back in the early 80s and hasn't let up since.

I agree, basketbills. It would have been fun to let Skiles and Walker throw down.

4. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I'd take Skiles over Walker 8 times out of 10 in a ring, and 10 times out of 10 in an alley.

I'm not sure which is more pathetic: a player of Fatoine's caliber talking trash or the Bulls allowing Walker to put up 15&6 every night on a very respectable 38% shooting with only 2 turnovers.

5. Reve

Reve First Round Draft Pick

In what universe is Antoine fat? Only person I ever heard say that was a bitter Celtic fan.

Skiles is a liar and this proves it. You can't believe anything out of that mans mouth after what he said happened with us and what did happen with Walker.

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dollars to doughnuts the league has a coach / player talking rule next year with some heavy fines. Mr Stern doesn't like this sort of stuff.

(I think I'm with him - no reason for a coach to be jawing with an opponent.)

7. MichWhoop

MichWhoop Second Round Draft Pick

Skiles' ego got the best of him. How could he not find a use on the Bulls for Tim Thomas? Thomas has played huge for the Suns ever since the Bulls cut loose. Little Napoleon, me thinks.

8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Jerome James contract drive, methinks. A few weeks of effort when everyone's watching and Thomas gets another deal that guarantees his right to be an underachieving screwup for years. Chicago needed his talent, but they couldn't afford his attitude.

Skiles is a very good coach - but like Doug Collins, he has a limited shelf life before his style wears thin with players. He's better suited as a college coach, but I think he sees himself as an NBA guy.

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What do you think the difference is between someone like Skiles and Avery Johnson, or Riley, who also seem pretty abrasive as far as I can tell. Would you see Johnson with the same limited shelf life? Does Riley manage to hang around because he has won before or just because he is in charge of hiring the coach? Pop out in SA sure doesn't seem to be anybody's buddy either.

I watched some of the Bulls/Heat series and though that Skiles had toned it down a bit. He didn't seem to be spending nearly as much time berating his players as I have seen him do before. Could he be adjusting?

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Reve, Fat W has aways been pudgy. And he has always been called Fatione. I think Z0069 started it back on the DetNews years ago.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "Very respectable 38%", I would go "decent 38%", for Fat anyway.

11. Reve

Reve First Round Draft Pick

It was around Boston years ago too. I guess no one has seen him in person. Even back when he was "chubby" on TV he looked skinny in person.

IMO I don't get the Walker hate people have. He works his butt off. I don't know of anyone that gives more then him on the court. Maybe not always smart playing but effort.

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

One easy answer is winning. Riley and Pop have a bunch of titles, due in no small part to the fact that they walked into teams with coachable, self-driven superstars who continue to support them. Rings earn credibility, and Avery can flash a little as well. It probably doesn't hurt that Riley is an owner, as you mentioned, and Popovich picked himself for the job. So there's clout. Players know the guy is there as long as they want.

I don't have a great handle on Avery Johnson, except that his style seems to be equal parts tough love and Jiminy Crickett, without Skiles' sardonic edge. Scott has a way of cutting guys to shreds, often very publicly. Remember when he was good for a quote a week about Eddy Curry? (Reporter: "What can Curry do to improve his rebounding?" Skiles: "Jump.")

Speaking of Eddy ...

He might be. Another possibility, I suppose, is that he's found a soulmate in Paxson, who excels at dumping guys who don't fit in. It would be nice to think Skiles is maturing, speaking as an MSU alum who loved his style. But somehow I suspect the player who taunted Antoine Joubert with "Come on, fat boy, show me something" still rages on the sidelines.