Cola, Lb 4 Lb and Flipper

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 29, 2005.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

From I have seen at least in pre-season I don't think that a Flipper team will play with the same intensity, especially on defense, as did the Cola and Lb 4 Lb teams.

This concerns me because without the defensive intensity the Pistons will lose the edge they had, because no matter what Flipper does with the offense it has to be the defense that gets them the ring.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Ever notice how when asked about defense, Flip always says, its in them as players. Its in them as players because its constant hammered into them by the coaching philosophy. I'm also doubtful that the crucible that forges a great defensive unit still exists. On the flip side, we've mainly seen bench players and the pistons had a habit of not getting up to play until it really meant something. Maybe by mid november, we'll have a better idea of how things will play out?

Does Flip have a defensive Guru as an assistant?
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its still pre-season. Right or wrong, this team has proven that it doesn't go all out until it really matters.

It may be frustrating to watch as fans, when they can't put teams away or blow out the NBA doormats in the regular season, but I think its a bit premature to say they don't play with the same intensity.

You're comparing Flip 8 games into the preseason to 2 years with Rick and LB.

We already knew that Flip was more of an Offensive minded coach when he came in. Our D will still be there, but hopefully our O will be more fluid and less prone to long scoring droughts.

Have faith and give Flip (and peace) a chance! :peace:
  4. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Defense and LB

First, I know the coach hammering on the players gets the D intensity going, but from my experience D is mostly desire and hustle. As a result, I think this comes from the leaders of the team, and that being Ben I belive he wont allow his team to go soft.

On the flip side, I was watching the National Broadcast of the Knicks game, and saw a lot of bad offensive posesitons similiar to some of the Stones droughts of last year. A lot of the players seemed afraid to shoot-- especially the ROoks Robertson (who would have been a great backup PG on the Pistons) and Frye--that led to an absurd 30 something TOs. LB was livid. His offesne is just so disciplined that once the inital play is defended the players do not know how to score anymore. I think with Flip that our O will be so much better. And with the D staying at a high level then the differential should be sweet too.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If it's true that Larry's teams generally take a full half season to adjust to his coaching..we should expect the Knicks to struggle. That means that they will do even worse than they did the first half of last season...does that mean that by the time they reach the second half the playoffs will be out of reach?
  6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Watched most of the Knicks preseason games. They will be horrible. This is the absolute worst team that LB could have picked. His starters cant play D (Starbury, Crawford, and Penny). And his rooks, while willing to learn (and do have a lot of potential) are scared that they'll make a mistake and end up like Darko. So they play scared, make ridiculous amounts of turnovers, and cant score once the original play breaks down.

My favorite LB order to the team is that they are not allowed to run a fast break unless there is a turnover. Maybe by the end of the season the vets will get his system, and the rooks will relax, but I dont see it happening.
  7. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No, the Knicks definetily have a chance to make the playoffs. Also, this is the perfect team for Brown to coach. His best coaching is when he can go to a "disorganized" team implement his discipline and reap the rewards. This is why his run with the Pistons ended. I believ his style is like that of an elemtary teacher. By making the kids behave and cooperate by buying into the system, learning can be achieved. But this can only go far. Hopefully, Flip is the college professor that opens the doors for the students to think and challenge themselves, thus reaching higher education, ie NBA championship.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This new york team is a running team. They will absolutely suck this season. and this season the medias excuse for the pistons not doing good is the pistons not playing the same D. The Pistons always proved them wrong, and i don't see it being different this year. Its the preseason, and I never said that this team is going to be amazing after any preseason win, and i have not and will not say this team is worse off of any preseason losses either. We'll have our first true glimpse at this team on Tuesday in our first regular season game which is just around the corner.
  9. max

max All-Star

Vegas Odds

Accroding to ESPN the LasVegas over/under win total odds for the Pistons are 50.5 wins.

You can see this from the viewpoint of 54 wins minus a coach and no noticable improvements.

People who follow the Pistons are expecting more because we know a lot of talent was left un-used on the bench last season.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Good Point

Good point, but I don't see why other people can't see that?:noidea:
  11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i wouldn't be so concerned. the starters didn't play heavy minutes during t he preseason at all. the starters are our lockdown defensive presence. the 2nd unit while playing pretty good D i just don't see them having that lockdown style of D. they will however put some points up in a hurry. the total team defense has actually improved from last year. delfino and arroyo are playing better D. mo evans plays D and Darko is a defensive force off the bench. i think it would be more accurate to say we allowed too much dribble penetration in the preseason.

this is why flip was brought in. he isn't supposed to be lb or cola. he's something totally different and joe knew this. defense wins championships and the pistons know that. now they will have a coach to pound the offensive game into shape after 2 defensive minded coachs. if you recall last year we didn't really lock down until we were down in the game cause we couldn't score. this year we will put more balls in the hoop and maybe maintain a lead so we won't have to lockdown and come back in the 4th.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This is how I see it. Our starters will begin the game, and make the other team have a slow start, and usually we'll build up a 3-5 point lead then our bench will finish the half by getting out on the break for easy points because they are still strugling from the starters previous D (I don't know why I think this will happen, but doesn't it seem like it?) Then our starters start off the 3rd quarter, and make the other team struggle, and our bench will finish the rest of the third. Finally if its a close game our starters will play almost the whole 4th quarter and grind out a win.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Action

Max, are you suggesting that we should get some action on the over?
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

I hope not. Although I saw that story unfold over and over again, it never gets old. Pistons claw their way back from a 6 or 8 point deficit, beginning with a thunderous Wallace block or a Lindsey steal, end up winning by 6 or 7 while the other team looks stunned that things could fall apart so quickly for them!
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Easy money

50.5 is the over/under? I'm all over that.

Key additions: Mo Evans and a HOF center.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dig It! But who is the HOF C? Darko Time?
    I think relaxing a little on Dee might help this team, especially regarding fouls. The league doesn't like it. They want scoring. I think we can score with anybody. We run as good as anybody. The Suns should be a little less effective this year.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm gonna resist making comparisons to last year until after the 20th game... they should be comfortable with their roles and new system by then.
    Take a snapshot of the team stats at game 20... then start fresh from there.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Just watch the game in December against the Spurs. The Spurs have won 70% of their games since Tim Duncan was drafted.

It will be interesting to see how we match up against the squad that is arguably the class of the league. That's the game I will be taking notes on...
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Himat I concur

It is essential the backups hold the lead. Or you will see the starters playing 40 mins. The better teams have cats that can run for 40 min. Bloodless legs and all.
  20. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

It is essential

I agree, it is essential that the bench hold leads. That is the only way they will get playing time. But I also think that the teams that play their starters 40 minutes a game will be dropping like flies when the playoffs come.

I may be wrong, I did not do any factual research, but it seems as though the better teams, Detroit, SA, Miami,Indy, etc do not play starters 40 minutes and win 'ships.