College player goes from NCAA tourney to the Knicks...in one week!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Coming on the heels of Tubby Smith's sudden departure as Kentucky's head coach, there's this news about a UK player who was operating under a weird provision of the NBA collective bargaining agreement:

His last game for UK was their second round loss to Kansas, which was this past weekend, and now he'll be on the Knicks less than a week after that! Though maybe they'll send him to the D-League at first.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They were talking about him on Cold Pizza a couple of days ago, and I was wondering if Joe should just grab him for safe keeping since he was eligible now and no team had to wait for the draft to sign him. Whoever was discussing it said that he would probably be a lottery pick, but still a project. Well with AJ on board Joe figured we have enough projects so he probbaly passed on him like every other GM but Zeke..
  3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Zeke got a steal, 2 years, 1.6 mil for a potential lottery pick? Joe was asleep on this one, just like every other GM. Unless of course, Joe already has plans for an up and coming 6'11" kid in the organization, that he didn't want to disrupt.
  4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder if Zeke is still the worst GM in the league
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

OK, being a UK fan, I can actually give y'all an informed scouting report.

Morris has very good instincts in the post on offense, nice body control and the ability to hit tough shots. He's a legit 6'10", and with long arms. The big negative: slow-footed. Didn't hurt him too much in college, against mostly mediocre big man competition, but he could be extremely foul prone on D in the NBA. Big defenders with reasonably quick feet might be able to handle him without much help.

Between him and Amir, Morris is probably the one who's closer to being ready to play right now, but I think we definitely have the guy with more upside.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Personally, I think Morris is the only reason that Kentucky was in the tournament at all. He certainly carried that team in the few games that I saw. For 1.8 million dollars, Zeke may have just landed a servicable big.
  7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Given how much the Knicks current payroll is, Zeke doesn't have a lot a options in trying to improve the talent level of his roster relatively quickly. $1.8 million is pocket change to MSG.

In business it would be considered a great deal, because the potential upside reward far exceeds the maximum downside possibility.

:hoops:
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The averages player salary is around $5 million. 12 active players x $5 million each = the luxury tax threshold.

This guy is only making $900k a season. He's a great deal. Just like Chris Webber, Flip Murray and Dale Davis. They are all average or better players playing on the cheap.