Commissioner Stalin

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe I'm alone here, but due to David Stern's increasingly more dictator-like behavior. Do you think the league would be better served by a commissioner who actually has a lifelong history within the NBA or even the sport of basketball?

We are all well aware of Stern's involvement as legal council with the NBA. However, no one can argue that Stern has himself been an intrugal part of the league's development on or off the court. In my opinion, being a highly paid, albiet trusted, lawyer for the league's interests doesn't necessarily make you qualified to be commissioner.

Does anyone believe that for the life and integrity of the sport, the NBA would be better served with a commissioner along the lines of say: Jerry West, Walt Frazier, Bill Ruseell, or Dave Bing? Wouldn't players and/or coaches with a long history of contribution to the NBA be better suited to take on matters of importance with respect to the league.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't see how you can be an Pistons fan AND a fan of Stern. How many other teams have the rules changed to bring them down?

We build a defensive juggernaut and lock in all the salaries and they change the rules to negate our advantage? It's like buying a ferrari to drive on the autobahn, and then they pass a 100 Kph speed limit... except the opposite.
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I may be alone here...very very alone...but I like Stern as comissioner. The League and its teams are a business that extends FAR, FAR beyond handchecking on the court.
    IMO the game of basketball can never be destroyed. Its a concept. What is being manipulated is the business of basketball. Its tangible assets with investments in cities, buildings, restaurants, services, merchandising, advertising, media and so forth.

Stern has been proactive and I think its worked out well. I will not disagree that he IS compromising the integrity of the league by artificially propping the next gen of stars. Will it ruin basketball? No. I don't think so. The league will adjust. The running no defense teams like 80's denver wasn't all that popular either. Will the NBA retain its toughness aura if the rules baby the players? Will that affect its appeal?

What I am hoping is that the NBA will move toward more international rules and take its place as a leader in the world community instead of an isolationist, self absorbed obesity that eats its own young to survive.
  4. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Stern is not the right person for the job. He is not qualified to be changing the rules every year.
  5. max

max All-Star

I would love to see a change. Guys been a the job too long. Time for someone new.

He took over a high scoring no defense league, thats the way they played back in the 70's when no one watched. They had their stars Irving, Jabaar, Barry..

Its ironic that the NBA became popular when teams started playing defense. Jordan really put the league over the top and he was also the best defending guard in the league. The old Celts brought in physical play and it was interesting watching that clash against flsashy teams like the Lakers.

Seems like Stern is losing touch.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Kingmaker strategy is not terribly innovative or clever. I really think it will backfire.

The NBA is becoming a little too dynastic and imperial. It is probably time for Stern to step aside for a younger exec. He's over 60 years old, it could happen in the next couple years.
  7. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

I would be :gun1:Stern getting his own balls, but I think that the new ball for the NBA is ridiculous, since the overwhelming players prefer the old balls until now.
  8. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

This is a mantra that Pacerfans embraced just after the Brawl and it's tough for me to even say anything new.
    Just let me reiterate that it's wonderful to see you guys have come around to a Pacerfan POV, even though it should have been said about November 21st, 2004:yellowprison: (and was said by a lot of us)!
  9. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

That Stern avatar is creeping me out! He looks like such a smug ahole. Stern is like a nightmare. The proposed new owners rules are too much. Who does Stern think he is????
  10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

...well, a week into the season, it appears that the commissioner is not winning any new friends.

However, I maintain that he won't care as long as he is able to convince the sponsors that his league is vanilla (read sterile, not white) enough to warrant them sending their checks over.