Competition is healthy, Monopoly is not

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I mentioned on the podshow last night, this is the first time since 2004 that we have actually had competition for minutes.

Gordon, Rip, Stuckey and Bynum, the latter who has firmly established himself as a rotation player.

Tayshaun, Daye, Jerebko. Tay will get the bulk of the minutes, but Daye and Jerebko will nibble around the edges.

Ben, CV, Wilcox, Kwame and Max. Again, no clear #1 or #2.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Last year, Sheed set marginial effort equal to marginal criticism and raked in $'s.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Everybody is going to play, but how long they play is going too be determined by how well they play. Last night was a perfect example. Bynum played the fewest mins at guard with 23- Rip played the most with 36, next game that could very well be reversed. Last night BigBen played 30 mins, while Wilcox played 6, next game that could be reversed. I like what Q said about whoever plays better get it going quick because somebody is ready and waiting to take your mins, and 2 of them (Bynum & Kwame) are in a contract year, 3 of them (Wilcox, JJ, and Daye) are playing for their next contract.
  4. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Bynum had a chance to start on an NBA team, what team would it be? I think he has a chance to start on this roster, and maybe 4 or 5 others, but it's a limited market for a small point guard such as Bynum. What do you think his perspective of the situation is? Play hard, get paid? Play hard, get minutes? Play hard, get paid, and get minutes next year?
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

yep, rips mins were inflated last night by the fact that prince had no backup dressed as all 3 rookies didn't dress (2 for suspensions and 1 because we could only dress 10)

I missed it but from reading sounds like wilcox gave up 2 layups in his first half mins and was pulled... good signal to the players play def or sit your butt on the bench.
  6. hitafreethrow

And to continue on rounds' point, Charlie V was held out the entire first half even though he had only two fouls, but wasnt needed, so Q let him sit. I like, I like.
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Q-dog is doing exactly what Coach Tablecloth said he was gonna do last year.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Bynum has ALWAYS believed he's the best guard on the court, he is going to push Stuckey, while I don't know either of them , I just get a feeling that Will Bynum truly believes that he is a superior player to Rodney Stuckey. Will is going to play hard, get minutes and then get paid!!! 5 years 18 Million at least.
  9. hitafreethrow

Greg I completely agree, part of me hopes that we pay him. He reminds me alot Lindsey Hunter, in the fact that he gives 100% everytime on the court. I was never the best player, but leaving the court I felt good about myself knowing I gave everything I had. I have alot of respect for people like that. I know what it's like to bust your butt to get to a trap and the 2nd trapper is late, so it's blown. That is the sort of stuff that makes you work harder, and appreciate your time on the court. Bynum seems to have that. Alot of respect for the little guy.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wilcox was definitely punished for his lack of effort and did not see any other action until after Rip was hurt and Quester realized that he only had 10 players availble and Ben had probably played to many minutes...
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like that when there were breakdowns last night, you could see the frustration and guys would look towards the accountable teammate. You don't want blame, but you want the players to feel like any uncontested points are unacceptable.