Confirmed: Trade Affalo, Sharpe to Denver

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 10, 2009.

1. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Re: More buzz on Arron Afflalo

Am I the only one here who would rather keep Afflalo over Rip? The dude works hard and has tremendous room for improvement. Really wish Rip wasn't signed to 4 years cause apparently nobody in the league wants an off screen only shooting guard who can't create his own shot . . . that would include us.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I would rather have Afflalo. But I don't think we should regret Rip's contract. When he signed, he was a top FA getting paid a decent relative contract. There was nothing wrong with it until now when budgets are deflated from previous years and we are in a rebuild mode.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Afflalo Traded
  4. roscoe36

5. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Re: Trade Affalo, Sharpe to Denver

For a future 2nd rounder? :movingon:

I seriously hope Joe has something up his sleeve..........:fingerscr
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Welcome back Capp Spayce. We missed you?

What does this mean, Roscoe?

Will Detroit be using Capp to get a player this year? Or next year? Any ideas who?
  7. roscoe36

Yeah, he has another 1.8 million in cap space. That is freakin awesome.

I liked Afflalo, but I wasn't sold that he was starter material. I'm not even sure Stuckey is starter material.

We have to wonder if this has anything to do with performances in SL. I think the forwards down there might be making Sharpe an after thought.
  8. roscoe36

Cap space is huge right now. It gives us every advantage in free agency this year, and if unused, next year.

Joe is being very aggressive.

Have to wait and see.
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

that leaves us with 4 G's signed and rumors that washington is soon to be signed... as much as I love Affalo he's not going to get the room he needs to grow on the court... I wish him luck and thank him for his 2 years in the D, wish it was for more then a 2nd rounder but hey.....
  10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Good. Afflalo is not a major piece. He is a player who can contribute as the 8th or 9th man. This team is not there yet to worry about the 8th or 9th man. Joe has sized up our youth and basically said, they were not likely to step in and produce at an acceptable level. Many of us have hinted all along that our youth was lacking overall quality but you don't persistently knock your own team and some of these players were favorites among fans. Joe is laying it on the line. None of them were real pieces save Stuckey (who has much to prove himself).

I hope Joe doesn't pull the trigger for an ordinary big. If he wants to make a stopgap measure to stay decent next year for a bigger manuever later, then that is understandable. He is obviously having difficulty in the big dept. unless he has someone in mind via trade and salary relief.

You can bet that Rip will be moved, contract or no contract. When, i don't know. Joe made a decision to build around Gordon and Stuckey and not Rip and Stuckey.

I still think the only big mentioned that might be the impact player that Joe usually covets is Chandler. While his lateral movement is not super, he is tough straight up. I can't get too excited about Bass, Milsap, Davis, etc. These guys are good but not game changers. Were they better than Amir, Maxiel,etc. Yes. I pointed out last year, compare our young bigs with those of other teams and we don't look so good.
  11. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Question: Do we really need Big Baby Davis. He is strictly a PF in my opinion and we already have CV, Maxiel, Summers, and Jerebko. This would just create another logjam at the Pistons favorite position of Forward Tweener. This has to be for a trade.
  12. Wiggles

Wiggles First Round Draft Pick

Affalo was a good pro, but has already reached his potential. Plus being behind Rip and BG, Joe is doing him a favor with the trade.
  13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

all those PF better play backup C too...

Under current rotation there was absolutely no room for Alf. I miss him, he was great backup but there are bigger things to worry than 3rd SG in your team...

My guess is that Joe has behind the scenes promises for remaining Capp Spayce...
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

denver: hey joe, you want cap space, we want afflalo. we'll give you a 2nd-round pick.
    joe: okay, but you have a lot of trade exceptions, so you have to take walter sharpe off our hands too
    denver: no problem

i'm guessing that's roughly how the conversation went.
  15. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Yea. I am not upset that we traded Afflalo, although I did like him and will miss his game. I just don't want Big Baby to be the reason why.
  16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm a little bummed. We'll see what happens. so is it like Stuckey off the bench in a 3 guard rot?
  17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I really like Affalo, but with Deron Washington and who is athletically gifted and around the same size with the same skill set, however, Deron is more athletic, Alf would probably have slid further down the bench.

I will be rooting for him in Denver, he played hard, nice work ethic, high character guy.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder when Joe will next make a move that I am excited about.
  19. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

CV can take the scorer role while Davis can play dirty, rebound and take up space with his frame in the center.

We can always play two PF's as long as the two PF's complement one another.

Joe is probably convinced that Rip will not be moved this off season so therefore needed to redistribute one of our SG's...

Denver can use Afflalo's services now that Denver's starting SG from last season Jones is with another team.

This move brings back my fav player: Cap Space!

For more flexibility I would look to dump someone else and create more cap space.
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

unless the big we have coming in is a serious piece to a championship team i say stand pat till mid season, lets see how the rooks look and then trade to take the next step to getting back to title contention.... as much as folks complain and want Rip and Prince traded, I think that max and his salary also needs to moved unless he really steps up his game.... no way is he earning the 5 million he's getting this year.

moves to make moves, no thanks, moves that are part of the poker game Joe is playing to improve the game.... I'm all for.