Confirmed: Trade Affalo, Sharpe to Denver

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Sadly, its the fans who lost. I just maybe know more than most what we are losing. I watch and analyze every game, on both the defensive and offensive ends. On offense, we can replace Afflalo, who never was in there for a moment for his offense anyway. Its his defense we will miss. And we will sorely miss having Amir around to hustle to all the defensive plays.

I see there is a "Maxiell next?" thread. Why not, Dumars seems bent on getting rid of any player capable of playing any D.

Here is a preview of the upcoming season. Gordon, Rip, Tay, CV, and Kwame are on the floor.

Its late in the season, Kwame is injured, with many injuries having piled up over the season because he is playing way more minutes than he is use to. Gordon misses a three. The other team collects the rebound and scores on an unopposed fast break. Next time down, Rip drives in, loses the ball. The other team scores on an unopposed fast break. Next time down, CV launches a three and misses. Another unopposed fast break bucket made by the other team. Next time down, Tay takes the whole clock to back down his guy, who he has some length on, but misses a weak hook shot. This time, at least no fast break. But the other team's shooting guard muscles past the ultra thin, tired out Rip and scores rather easily off a half court set.

Next time down, we give Kwame the ball and he bricks a hook shot. Again, at least no fast break bucket, but hey, same story, no perimeter D, 2 more easy points for the other team. Its mid 3rd quarter, and we are down by 40 points. In come the rookies for the rest of the game.

Still 10 more games left in the season, but the coach announces he is shutting down his starters, as mathematical elimination just occurred. We ain't making the playoffs, so its time to keep are guys healthy for possible trades.
  2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Of course, you've always provided valid arguments in the podcast. But it really seems Dumars is heading into a new team philosophy. No more in your face defense, but rather score, score, and score some more. Joe at least has shown commitment with Maxiell by resigning to an extension. People simply want more cap space.

Very ugly preview. But we need to be postive man. We don't know how this team will work until it does.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I talked about this on the podcast last night. People don't want cap space for no good reason. Right now, there is only one way Joe can add a lot of talent fast. And that is by creating cap space. Once we are over the cap, we are stuck with the MLE and re-signing our own guys. What we have, will be what we are stuck with.

People want Joe to make moves, but they don't want anyone they like traded, and they don't want him to make cap room. So how exactly he is supposed to add talent, is beyond me.

I know it is hard to follow free agency without a good understanding of the cap, but when people lament that Joe is squeezing every bit of cap space possible, to leverage into the most significant talent adds he can find, it is very frustrating. Either you want this team to get better or not. Afflalo and Amir are nobodies. I liked Aff, and I hope he has a lot of success in Denver, but for the love of God, no one wanted Amir except John Hammond, and look at how Amir is stinking up the summer league...

Maybe Joe blows this. Maybe not. I think he has a plan. Joe is too conservative to start free agency like gangbusters. It's just not his style unless he has a bigger plan.
  4. Latinoking90

I thought we didn't get the MLE, since we were under the cap. But I meant in the sense that people want cap space to make more room for perhaps a bigger trade.

At the very least they attempted to play defense.

As he should, he's the GM. If he makes statements as "I believe every year I assemble the team, I believe that they can compete." I very much hope so he has a plan, but what Joe has done recently hasn't been flashy or something that appeals to the greater audience. It's very obvious that he wants a new team philosophy. Trading players who wanted to play defense and adding scorers and a suppose offensive genius of a coach.

I'm joking around with my signature btw, but I seriously think Joe simply bidded with himself with Ben Gordon. But I know Joe is one GM who is fair to it's players.
  5. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hustle and defense can be taught. You can't teach skill.

You wanna build around guys like David Lee? Sure, no problem. You've just spent half your cap space. Try adding skill players later for 3 or 4 mil - it's a lot harder. You end up with the Jarvis Hayes' of the world.
  6. roscoe36

NOE! AMIR HAZ SKILLZ AT FOULING THAT KANT BEE TAWT!

JOW TRADED TWO DPOYS AWAY FOR CAP SPACE. HE IS TURRIBLE. SHEED WILL MAKE YOU ALL FEEL BAD WHEN HE WINS 3 TITLES IN BOSTON 'N CARRYS DANNY AINGE ON HIS SHOULDERZ!

HAMMOND WUZ THE BRAINZ! JOE HAS DONE NOTHING! HE SHOULD BE FIRED! ODOM IS LIKE KOBE! WHY CANT WE GET BOOZER FOR POCKET LINT?

WHY DOES JOW WANT PEOPLE WHO SCORE? DOESNT HE KNOW THAT WHO EVER GETS THE LEEST POINTZ WINZ? ITS HOW MANY FOULZ YOU CAN MAKE THAT MAKES YOU A GRATE PLAYER!

WE NEED ARIZA HE IS SO TALENTED! BRAKE THE BANK ON SPOT UP SHEWTERS WITH LOW BBALL IQZ! THAT IS HOW YOU DO IT. YOU PLAY YOUR GUITR ON MTV

CAP SPACE FOR NOTHING, AMIRZ HOF PLEASE
  7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

What is the difference between CV and BG vs odom-ariza? the first pair had to carry team on their backs, the other pair were carried on superstar back...

:hoops:
  8. Latinoking90

For all the time that Ben Gordon and Charlie V has been in this league, you would have thought they would have accepted the defense mentality. I'm not exaggerating and saying Joe should have went after David Lee. But, we won't know till the season starts. But BG and CV's past ain't helping the issue.
  9. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

Amen. David Lee is overrated. He's Jerome Williams or Brian Cardinal on a team that runs the "7 seconds or less" offense. Hustle and grit are fine, but they aren't worth the $12M/season that Lee's agent is asking for. I'd rather have Chris Wilcox for the veterans minimum.
  10. Latinoking90

Is all the not happy comments getting to you?
  11. max

max All-Star

I just looked up Ariza's stats. Been in the league for 7 years and has never avg over 9 PPG.

NBA.com : Trevor Ariza Career Stats Page
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I laughed out loud at that.:pound: :pound::pound:You're on a roll. :pound: Good to see it. :)
  13. roscoe36

David Lee sucks LK. He's a hustle player with no skill.

You can't buy skill once you are capped out. That is why Joe is adding guys with actual talent now, and shipping out guys without exceptional talent to do it, because he can always add an Afflalo or Johnson or Mejia when the team is capped out, but you can't add a 20PPG scorer when your team is capped out.

No one ever thought Paul Pierce or Ray Allen were decent or even good defenders. But when needed they could play some D. You can't squeeze an ankle breaking crossover out of Afflalo or 18 foot jumper from Amir.
  14. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

Wow, I hadn't paid attention to any summer league teams other than ours....Amir's stats are horrible....how can anyone foul that much?

I agree with your sentiments though. He has a plan, which may or may not work. But this was a long time in the making. I wanted these kinds of changes last year, as our team was clearly falling apart then. We are now a younger team with potential, rather than an experienced team with history (only).
  15. webz

Now there's a signature to have!! That's hilarious Roscoe. :pound:

I'm not going to bust their balls over the past. Each team is set up differently with coaching philosophies that ask certain players to do certain things. If you've only ever played for a coach that only wants you to focus on scoring, does that make you a bad defender? It's all about the culture. Before Boston got the big 3 would any of you have said Pierce, Allen or Rondo were great defenders? I wouldn't.

As long as the GM and coaches can get get the players to buy in, most things suddenly become possible. Like playing defense. We know defense is mostly about effort.

Yes and no. I'm not trashing his game, but at the price he is asking for he will become your centrepiece. And I'm not comfortable with that.
  16. G-man

G-man Starter

Watch that door....(a politically incorrect post)

Seriously, AA accomplished nothing in his time in Detroit this side of making the roster of an NBA team.

I have a hard time getting my arms around the posts that make it sound like we are losing a Corliss, Stackhouse, Hunter or Cliff Robinson type player. He played a little D. That's it. He was a less than a meaningful player in his tenure in Detroit. Not all his fault. It just is what it is.

He played less meaningful D than Mike James, less than Darrel Walker, less than the Junkyard Dog, less than Aaron Mckie or Mark Macon. He had a very limited offensive game, less than Dana Barros, less than Tony Delk, less than Carlos Arryo, less than Don Reid or Chucky Atkins.

He was a guy who worked fairly hard on the floor but in his time as a Piston made no more impact than Darvin Ham, Tremaine Fowlkes, Ratko Varda, Pepe Sanchez, Ron Dupree, Mateen Cleaves, John Crotty, Jermaine Jackson, Charles O'Bannon, Khalid Reeves, Malik Sealy, Steve Henson, Alex Acker or Corey Beck.. ( I could go on and on)

He was no better than 5 or 6 other guys taking up roster space. Nor was he any worse. He was a roster tweener.

I wish all guys drafted as Pistons well in general, (except the dogging Darko) but in the end this guy is a baby fart in a wind storm, an onion burp, a nod and a blink.

The best thing we could do with AA is trade him. Not for him, he had a couple solid years to crack the roster, but for us because he couldn't crack the roster.

I look forward to seeing who we get in return and hope they make more of an impact on the legacy of the Pistons organization than AA...
  17. roscoe36

After 4 years and 4 summer leagues.

Seriously, I was all over this guy in his first year, but the more he plays, the less convinced you are that he will make it.
  18. webz

I just posted that same scenario! Great minds... :MusicBigGrin:
  19. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

:pound:

win
  20. roscoe36

Exactly.

Although I will trash him on the talent front. He's a hard working hustle player. You can sign them for $2 or $3 million next year when the cap shrinks again, and teams can't trade $15 million deals, so they dump a bunch of smaller contract guys, or don't bid up their value.