1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Conspiracy Theory-Stern,League,Media...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, May 17, 2008.

?

Stern decides the playoff entrants

1. YES

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Maybe- not as blatant as pro wrestling but definitly suspicous, absolutly

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  3. OH HELL YES

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Having followed this idea here, for 3 years, and laughted at the posters that bought into it. It's time to see if there is any validity to it.
    -----Media likes big markets for sales of TV time and advertisments in radio and print.
    ----Stern likes to be liked and likes to be smoozed the paying customer- THE media.
    ----The League - referees - are tools with small minds that when indocternated with hints of who should win, subconsciencly see fouls that aren't there.
    -
    Witnessed and substaniated by this years playoffs. Magic wasn't ready for prime time. The Jazz should've held home court. How blatant was that?
    -And I'm sure you all have seen officiating that didn't make since.
    -Forcing 7 games for the Atl hawks???

2. max

max All-Star

One question. If there was a conspiracy when why have no refs come forward? Refs are fired every year and yet no one has ever come forward to break the news rhat they were ordered to favor this or that team.

Seems like someone by now would have come forward. One would think that at least that Donoghe guy would have told us.

If there is a consipiracy then the CIA needs to hire Stern as a consultant because Stern would have accomplished something that no one ever has.

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

There was a lot of complaining about Stern's decision in the Phoenix-SA series last year to suspend Amare, but if it was all part of his master conspiracy, why did he make a decision that benefited the boring/low-ratings/no-media-star Spurs, while simultaneously damaging the hot/sexy/fun-to-watch Suns?

There's been some pretty bad refereeing of late, but for Boston fans in particular to complain about conspiracies (which some of them are, after Cleveland got a few calls their way late in Game 6) is absurd. The league, its sponsors, the media, EVERYONE (except fans of other teams) are foaming at the mouth for a Lakers-Celtics finals. But that doesn't "prove" that everything is being fixed to ensure that outcome.

4. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Oh He!! yeah.

But it's done with rule changes.

What is funny though is for the most part the best players keep being the best players, and the best teams keep being the best teams.

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

No........

7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I am now wondering if a Kobe Vs LeBron matchup isn`t looking more favorable to the media, sponsors and NBA.

8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Not after LeBron vs. Spurs was the lowest rated Finals EVER. Any series with Kobe and the Lakers would bound to be higher rated than that, no matter who the opponent is, but they definitely all still want to be able to hype the mystique and cachet of Lakers vs. Celtics.

9. Dlev59

Lakers and Celtics would be nice, however, the so-called marketing genius of Stern and his cronies would have folks saying - the Boston who?

Kobe vs LeBron would be bigger. Remember, this is the NBA where the individual stars are bigger than the teams. Arguably the top two players in the league, would draw a huge audience, perhaps more than Boston/Lakers.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No........

Why ask a Yes-No question in a poll and have 3 choices, all of which are "yes"?

11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

But I think the finals last year demonstrated the limits of individual star power. The series was totally uncompetitive, and the Cavs just didn't interest people, regardless of LeBron. And you can't even blame the Spurs, for it, either, at least not totally; Spurs-Pistons from two years before did better in the ratings, even though neither team had any "stars." But it was competitive and went the full seven games. Lakers-Celtics would have star power, two famous/storied franchises, and would almost certainly be more competitive than Lakers-Cavs.

12. max

max All-Star

Seems like there is a lot of hype about star power and most of that benifits the advertisers for the players in question. They tend to sell more of their product the longer their guy is in the playoffs.

How much of the superstar sells theory is people trying to sell us on that versus the reality? Superstars have tended to be in the Finals because they tend to pick good teams to play on. What about the Spurs and Tim Duncan? Is Duncan boring because he is not fun to watch or because he don't see his face in all kinds of commercials.

Last year was the lowest rated Finals of all-time. All the hype was about how excited everyone would be to see Lebran in there and the whole thing blew up in their faces. I am convinced that what sells are 2 competitive teams. Or least when the other team has a chance to win.

13. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I can answer this. Duncan is boring because he is not fun to watch. Because he plays a clinical textbook fundamental basketball that is mind-numbing as a spectator. Because he gets the same "surprised look" on his face EVERY TIME he gets a foul called on him. The guy is just consistent beyond belief and the only time he is interesting to watch is when he is playing poorly, because it's his same old same old game and you can somewhat enjoy trying to figure out why the usual robotic approach to a creative game isn't working that night.

When the only consistently played "open with music highlight shot" of someone's basketball PERSONALITY is him holding the basketball with his arms crossed over his lower face and his eyes peeping over with all the self-revelation of an awkward eleven year old ...you know that guy's basketball persona is BORING.

Also, I like some of LeBron's commercials, but I still can't stand the guy. In an imploding capitalistic culture such as ours, sooner or later people do get tired of having products, celebrities, events and even concepts shoved down their throats. It becomes all too obvious that our only value in this culture is as consumers, and we find a place to rebel somewhere. Apparently some people drew the line with LeBron Fatigue and the Cavs last year and then of course there was Timmy again, with his signature crossarmed caress of the basketball.

I'm real tired of the same old teams. I'd like to see a few emerging teams break through to be contenders next year. God, no more Spurs in the Finals. PLEASE.

14. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

How about when he was ejected because of two technical fould called on him when he was smiling on the bench. That was not boring :pound:

15. Dlev59

I agree, somewhat.

The only star power was LeBron. It would be LeBron + Kobe this year = big difference. Another factor would be the Cavs would make it to the Finals in back to back seasons (how disgusting would that be!) that might show some that last years appearance was no fluke and tune in this time.

Bottom line,the top two superstars in the NBA (of course the NBA proclaimed, media, and sponsor superstars) would draw a bigger audience than the the two story franchises, either way, I hope we don`t find out!

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I never buy into the "someone would have exposed a conspiracy", reason for not believing a conspiracy.

This is an entertainment business, first and foremost. There is an expectation of fair play and such, but if the league decided to fix all of the outcomes, that's entirely their right.

The NBA exists to make money, not provide entertainment. If it was a charity, then it would be a different story.

17. Dlev59

Doesn`t it exist for both reasons?

I know making money is first and foremost, however, it couldn`t without providing entertainment.

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I think that Arlin Spector would disagree with you here. I've never thought of that. You can only hope that basketball is on the up & up.:)

19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I could be totally wrong on this... but Basketball can do whatever it wants.... where football can't because of some of the rights it has been given by the government? or is it baseball that is the one with the anti trust perks? I'm sure somebody here is versed on it and can enlighten us.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Arlen Spector is an idiot. With everything going on in the world, there are better uses of your government's time than investigating NFL Spygate.

Not to mention, that again, it's private business. The NFL should handle reprimanding it's own franchises, however it sees fit. This is the same sort of nanny stuff where parents get ticketed or threatened with losing their children for child neglect because they left them in the car so they could put mail in the mailbox.

As a society, I think we have become totally retarded. Reactionary, paranoid, overbearing, arrogant, intrusive, manipulative etc.

Bill Walton would probably say,

"Arlen Spector, you're wrong about Spygate. Just live and let live brother. Pass the bong."

[​IMG]