Conspiracy Theory-Stern,League,Media...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, May 17, 2008.

?

Stern decides the playoff entrants

1. YES

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Maybe- not as blatant as pro wrestling but definitly suspicous, absolutly

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  3. OH HELL YES

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

ESPN.com: MLB - Baseball's antitrust exemption: Q & A

This was pretty informative.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Roscoe...Don't hold back. Tell us how you feel...:gun1::gun1::)

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sorry. I just get so upset when the government decides to regulate against industry, but they never regulate themselves.

I can pretty much guarantee that if the government ran the major sporting leagues, everyone would be into bowling or tiddly-winks.

4. max

max All-Star

I really do not want to see the Spurs again either. What people do want to see is someone score 50+ points in a Finals game. Neither Duncan or Lebran can do this. At least not against a proper defensive team. I wonder if they hyped LBJ way too early and have already made him too unlikable for most fans.

Thing is if you are selling a product as one thing but its really another then that is Fraud and Fraud is and should be punishable by law. Its a case of basic consumer protection and the fact that they are in the Entertainment industry does not make them exempt. I also have selfish reasons. If Max was ever convinced that it was not a competivive sport then Max would have to stop watching the NBA. Seriously, I could not watch it if I thought it was corrupt.

No complaints there about who regulates the law makers. I guess thats supposed to be us but few have the time for it. I really cannot get into all my complaints of the ruling body here in this capacity but I will say that I do happen to agree with Consumer protection laws and Business does need some regulation. Seems like whever they trust a certain industry to govern themselfs they fail and there is always a high cost to pay in the end.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

:hoops: :stooges: :confused: :redface: :frusty: :mmph: ...agreed

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Max, I told you the refs are weak minded, they may even be hypnotized. All Stern has to say is Boston has a nice halftime show. Then what do you know no one can breathe on Rondo.
    -
    Beer, this is an election year, we will try and govern our system. Don't try an say a vote for Obama isn't a "no" vote for big unbridled business and WAR economy. That's why they call you Liambrains. What about that phathom call on Beer back in '90. You don't even remember. A "no" vote is a yes. Same as not voting.
    -
    Aura, that's the only reason I like the Spurs they're the anti-Stern team. Kind of like the Pistons. That's why if the Spurs don't make it the Pistons have an obligation to represent. Besides watching Timmy stare down a car salesmen is good stuff. See they can even find a way to sell staring. But if it's a call between Lakers and Spurs, the league usually gets it right.

7. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Okay it was mildly entertaining. But still it was entertaining because even the ref that ejected him recognized that the break in Timmy's usual deadpan stare could only mean he was "showing up" the ref. I mean it was so unprecedented that it elicited the overreaction from the ref. Anyone else, it would have gone unnoticed.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL, TheeTFD. You are funny....in a disturbed sort of way... :pound:

9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

It's an even year (08')

The Spurs are of no impact on the title.

10. KarmasComing

KarmasComing First Round Draft Pick

The NBA wants a Laker Celtics finals and it couldn't be any clearer.

11. BillLaimbeer

Yea, and if the Cavs would have won, then it would have been....The NBA wanted LeBron in the finals and it couldn't be any clearer.

12. KarmasComing

Not quite. Lebron had no chance in this series. He was playing by himself.

I have been calling a Celtic Lakers final since Garnett was traded.

The NBA can only do so much to fix games. Sometimes a player steps up and hit a crazy shot that the refs can't fix.

13. BillLaimbeer

If you watched this game, the Cavs were getting more help from the officials than the Celtics.

This was a 1-point game with 1 1/2 minutes left. Only someone who either doesn't understand the game or has an extremely active imagination would say this game was fixed.

14. KarmasComing

I suppose you missed all the tripping the Celtics were doing and how KG stood around in the paint. Or how KG pushed everyone and was never called for the foul.

You are going to get those same calls ignored against the Pistons. Just wait. KG is going to be able to do what he wants and so is Pierce and in the end it will decide the series.

15. max

max All-Star

Stern ordered the Cavs to miss a few rebounds near the end so the Celts could get some 2nd chance points.

16. BillLaimbeer

You might have something here, Max. I'm pretty sure Stern ordered Big Z to shave his head, as well.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It's a bad poll. I only got 14 people to acknowledge my dementia.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

This thread was supposed to be whimsicle.
    -
    Originally Posted by ESPN - Prosecutors say Donaghy should get break for fessing up to gambling - NBA
    In the letter, dated May 8, prosecutors asked a judge to consider giving Donaghy a break on his sentence to reward his "substantial assistance" in an investigation that resulted in the indictment and guilty pleas of a professional gambler and a middleman, both former high school classmates of the referee.
    -

Donaghy, who pleaded guilty in Brooklyn Federal Court to charges of betting on games he officiated, told FBI agents “league officials would tell referees that they should withhold calling technical fouls on certain star players because doing so hurt ticket sales and television ratings," the document said.

Donaghy claims he was told that two refs who were “company men” acting in the interest of the NBA conspired to extend a playoff series in 2002 to a seventh game.

The referees allegedly ignored flagrant fouls committed by the team that needed to win. They also reportedly called "made-up fouls" against the other team which led to the ejection of two of their players. The team favored by the refs won that night and the next game to win the series Lakers/Kings 2002 WCF Game 6 ? Qoute G26
    -
    Even when I'm joshing I'm die on.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

I didn't expect this stuff to start coming out until around Donaghy's sentencing next month. I hope Stern's now pooping his pants in the middle of his Celts-Lakers Finals.

The following sounds like complete BS to me. Just how powerful does Stern think he is?
    Donaghy says 2002 playoff series rigged - NBA - MSNBC.com

20. linwood

linwood All-Star