Corey Lidle dies in a plane crash

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, Oct 11, 2006.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Yeah...I just saw that...seems kind of ironic, or...?
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's just horrible.
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

What's even worse is that his identity got out before his family could be notified. Or, at least, it appears that way. :(
  5. jammertime

Lidle was a Jay for a season a few years back. He seemed like a nice guy.

Well known or not, no family deserves to hear about a loved one's passing through the media.

Only a few miles from the World Trade Centers too. I'm sure a lot in the area thought it was happening all over again. I wonder what the approx 170 firefighters who responded were thinking at the time? Brave, brave men and women.
  6. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

It was a tragic accident while everyone on the Yankees and some other teams he played for (Oakland A's) were in shock. I feel sorry for his family and wife of ten years.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I heard that his passenger was a flight instructor. This is a very strange accident. The plane must have been incapable of climbing due to engine trouble. Otherwise, there is no way you would fly in the fog in the city at such a low altitude with a full tank of gas.

If you don't run into a structure, those little planes are amazingly safe. You can them anywhere, and now you can even just pull the parachute if you get in trouble. I don't think that NY City is a good place to fly your personal plane.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Out here they reported that his wife and son were on commercial flight to LA about the same time as the accident and yes the rest of the family found out on TV and then had to give the news to his wife when she landed at the airport. He was supposed to fly that smaller plane across country later.

The Irony is that NewYorkers thought this was a 9/11 situation on 10/11 and some thought this was the first of many planes that were going to crash.

The story got all the needed attention and a the ALCS showed their respect with a moment of silence and a prayer. Not to take anything away form Lidle and his family, but just think of the media frenzy if this had been Jeter, ARod or even Torre on that flight instead. :(
  9. jammertime

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I saw the video of the crash that they had on cnn. It really didn't look that foggy. He could definately see the building coming, which means that the plane probably couldn't steer. They also say that the parachute was deployed and was on the ground, but didn't work properly.

That must have really been frustrating for him.
  11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

It's too bad for his family and friends.

But, without being cold, I'm already incredibly sick or seeing/hearing about it.

Do you think EPSN would halt all sports talk if you or I died in a plane crash? Enough already.
  12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yeah, but the law of marketing cable tv is to get the casual viewers and bigger audience shares. Cable stations always jump on anything that might play to a wider audience. Hardcore sports fan are already defaulted to ESPN and figured in the marketing numbers. But if they can get a normal person to change to ESPN and stay on it all day about Lidle's tragic death, or the Croc Hunter's death, or a scandalous arrest or sexual harrassment crime (Duke Lacrosse) they always go for it bigtime. Bigger audience share = more advertising money. Cable TV=tabloid TV.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's why I said if it had been a more high profiled player like Jeter or ARod, they may have canceled Mets game if the rain hadn't. Heck they may have even cancelled baseball tonight and I wouldn't have seen any highlights of the Tiger-A's game.....( I was on a plane during the game and I got off just in time to see the Big Hurt pop out to end the game on an airport TV).
  14. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Not to get TOO terribly far off of topic, but I think:

Entire Media = Tabloid Mentality