Could Ai be traded AGAIN? Peter Vecsey article

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

From the New York Post:

NO ANSWER FOR PISTON FAILURE - New York Post
    What do ya'll think?

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Fire Joe.

just kidding.

kinda

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I read this too Roscoe. It would be most unfortunate if we traded AI.

Right now I think that AI is everyone's fall guy and he would ultimately become the reason for the Pistons demise. Most true pistons fans however realizes that this is not the case.

4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I don't know what to say. It seems like this has all turned into how much a player makes when his contract expires and can we get someone cheaper. What makes me angry is none of the top tier guy's in the 2010 FA pool is coming here. Joe D. is smoking something if he thinks he can get LeBron or a Wade or LeBron and a Bosh. The bottom line is if you don't put an exciting product out their and don't win you are not going to fill seats. AI expires at the end of the year anyway so why trade him? Joe D. had to know this was going to be a major jolt to the team especially trading CB 2 games into the regular season. He should have pulled the trigger on this trade in the off season so the team had a full training camp.

It seems funny no one is talking about Curry in this. Curry's lack of coaching ablity is really is what the problem is. He can't seem to use AI or RIP properly in the offense. Out of timeouts he can't seem to draw up plays that get us a basket.

Who will we get for AI??? The only person in the salary ball park is Marbury and his contract does not expire. So we would basically have to get 2 or 3 players for Iverson. It is not going to happen.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

From what I can see, AI gives his all every game. The guy has heart. If Joe D is going to make another major trade, I'd like to see him trade someone who loafs on the court and disrepects the coaches.

6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I think it would be kinda unfair if AI is taking the sword for all of their failures this year...... but I also doubts he gets traded. Even if Joe does want to move him, where is he going to find another big expiring contract? I doubt it'd help the team that much for this season either, having to adjust again halfway through.

They're stuck with what they have.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is the first time in NBA history that 4 different teams have won 30 of their first 40 games (I think I'm repeating that fact correctly). And 3 of those teams happen to be in the East. Boston got off to the best start in NBA history. Cleveland has the best home record since the Bulls won 72 games with MJ.

Even though I thought we were a contender with CB at the start of the season, I'll admit that this was as good a season as any to Ctrl+alt+del that 6 time ECF+ unit. If we couldn't get through the Leastern Conference in prior years, how were we really going to beat Cleveland and Boston in the same postseason? They are defensive juggernauts right now and we were a jumpshooting team.

That doesn't mean that we have to get rid of every player. You start with the older ones. Ben expired. Check. CB was traded for a ton of cap space. Check. Next in line is Sheed with his expiring contract. Check please!

Assuming AI doesn't get re-signed, then we can keep the 2 youngest players with tons of playoff experience in Tay and Rip and quickly rebuild so that we can strike while they are still in their primes.

So back to the question. If we can still accomplish our long-term goal, then I don't care if we trade AI or not. This season is not about this season. If we can trade him for the type of player that we hope to get in FA, then we may as well do it. If we can trade him for another expiring contract or two and we can get back players that fit our team, then that doesn't hurt us much either. Personally, I wouldn't put much hope into re-signing AI next year at a reasonable price. Teams tend to overpay for him.

8. max

max All-Star

Yes thats been the big issue. Ideally a trade should have been made in the off-season and a more experienced coach should have been brought in.
    Dumars talked about not wanting a teams 2nd best player in the off-season which makes me wonder if this deal was there all along.

Who can that be? I know there are still a lot of sheed fans but Sheed needs to go. He has been more of a problem as to why we lost 3-straight ECF's than anyone else on the team.

On AI. Since one option is to use his contract anyway to land an FA anyway then why not move him now if a deal is out there. AI has been giving it his all but at 33 he is not the same as he used to be.

9. roscoe36

Here is the deal. Something ain't right.

We have too much talent, to be this mediocre. We've shown flashes against LA and Orlando.

This roster is at least as good as last year.

Not only are we getting less and less out of the team game after game, but we're getting less out of AI than any other time in the past.

Joe is the steward, it's his job to take responsibility.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Very true. LOFT is not the issue here... at least with the players.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Fire Curry. Hire Laimbeer. Problem solved. Never happen.

12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

We have taken the two players on our team that are typically leading scorers (AI and Rip) and asked them both to play in the opposite style they have been successful at.

AI is used to having the ball in his hands up top and attacking; instead we take the ball out of his hands and give it to stucky to feed him on the wing.

Rip is used to quick shots off pick and curls but instead we pass him the ball on the wing and ask him to create off the dribble.

What do you expect???

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is from CNNSI's 2nd half of the season storylines.

14. roscoe36

It's more than that though DD. First it's Amir is going to start, then Kwame, then Amir, then Kwame, then Amir for good, tonight Kwame.

First it's we have a grading system, then guys impact can't be measured.

We're going to play hard, but we don't. We're going to defend and get stops, but we don't.

We're going to attack and be aggressive, but we're not.

Michael Curry was known as the binary man because his stat line on any given night would look like this

1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0

This is turning into a binary team.

15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

What makes you think Laimbeer would be doing any better than Curry is?

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

What makes you think he won't?

17. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

I just don't see the point in trading AI. The main thing everyone keep saying was that if it worked this year great, but if it doesn't then you get 20 mil off the cap at the end of the season. The only point I would see in trading Ai is if you can get a player back that will help Det win now and who's out there?? The only big time player that I've heard about being traded is Amare. There is no way the Suns give up Amare for AI.

Maybe I'm being to pessimistic but there is no way Det can catch up with Orl, Bos, or Cle at this point... so I think Dumars should try to find a small piece that helps this team lock up the 4th seed and hope we can do damage in the playoffs..A perfect example is remember how the Jazz were right around .500 last year...then they picked up Korver and just went on a tear the rest of the year.

If it doesn't work this year you lose Sheed's & AI's contract which give syou great cap space..and like I said before wasn't that one of the main reasons of picking up AI in the first place??

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's pretty funny. He has mentioned that Amir graded out very well on that system, but then he later repeated that his impact couldn't be measured. Which is it?

Also, when do you think it was that they scrapped that grading system? It must have been pretty tedious analyzing every possession of every player. That's about 200 possessions (offensive and defensive) per game x 5 positions = 1,000 24 second film clips that had to be picked apart and entered into Curry's grading sheets. Say they have 2 employees working the job and it takes them on average 1.5 minutes to grade out a possession. That is 12.5 hours per employee of data entry for something that they throw into MC's in-box and he may glance at.

I'm not sure how you can go into that much detail and not notice that SB makes every opponent look like a title contender. Not seeing the forest through the trees maybe?

19. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

One of the biggest problems here is inconsistency. Now Kwame will start after racking up 10 DNP's.

Before the week is out, we probably will end up with Amir starting again, then Stuck will go to the bench and Rip will start again. Then Curry will feel that AI will be best as sixth man, then AI goest to the bench and Stuck back in the starting 5, Amir comes out of the starting lineup after replacing Kwame, McDyess will then start in his place, Curry has a never ending cycle of musical chairs going on. HE CANNOT FIGURE OUT AN EFFECTIVE LINEUP.

It is too late in the season for the constant changing of the lineup.

Either Curry doesn't know what he's doing, or he doesn't know what he's doing (repeated twice for emphasis).

20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Well, a rookie coach for one, IMO, Sheed,Rip, and AI wouldn't give a hoot about hs playing days or WNBA ships contrary to what some may believe.

I remember most applauded the hiring of MC as a great move. People pointed to his leadership qualities, defensive mindset and hard nosed playing style as good qualities for an NBA coach, I would agree with all of the above, but we see the result thus far.

These are the same qualities we see in Laimbeer.

I don't know how Laimbs would do as an NBA coach, IMO he would be an average or below average coach, not unlike MC