Could Ai be traded AGAIN? Peter Vecsey article

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jan 25, 2009.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Remember when Curry said that the Pistons defense was going to be much more aggressive this year? .... trapping and pressing to force turnovers was supposed to be a staple of our defensive strategy, like it was in 2004.

The Pistons ranked 21st in the league at forcing turnovers.

Just one of the many "promises" he made that has not come to fruition.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm not totally convinced Curry is the wrong guy, but everyday I lean a little more in that direction.

I think Laimbeer is really smart and I know that he will not take any crap...from anyone. That includes Davidson, Joe D. or even that weasel of a commissioner. No small balls with him. That's why I think nobody will hire him. I'm a bit surprised Cuban doesn't...But what do I know?

3. max

max All-Star

I remember that. He also said he was going to go 5 deep at the PF/C this year and was going to focus on rebounding and paint points.

4. max

max All-Star

We used to get a lot more from Sheed but I think he is just done. He either can't play like he used to or just does not care anymore. Probably a combo of both.

5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

AI is not the future. He will be 34.

The problem is that the future (our young bigs) have not performed at a high level for more than a game at a time. Sheed has visibly and predictably slowed down. Are the young bigs still projects or are they supposed to produce, create havoc, even dominate for a few minutes here and there? I notice Dirk went 4-17 against Boston. He went off on the Pistons. Therein is part of the gap between an elite team and where the Pistons are today.

It is nobody's fault. Stuckey at 15 is are highest pick since the ill-fated Darko pick. The NBA continually renews. If you stay the same gravity will take over. The Pistons have been defying gravity. Now it is catching up.

6. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

This team is up in the air on a hot air balloon. You know never know if they are going to stay up or come down. This article is just like every other article talking about the falling apart Pistons. It comes a time where a team falls apart, but we can definitely stand back up sooner or later. AI has been the guy everyone falls on when something goes on with this team. I will admit that has been games where he has taken the last shot or shots that he shouldn't took; but that would be M.C.'s fault. We all don't know where this team is going to end up and we just have to sit back and wait. We can't do anything about it.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Please God. Amare sucks right now. He gets like 2 rebounds a game and looks five seconds away from crying. Do it Joe. AI/plus whatever for Amare.

edited to add; Someone posted a fantastic analysis of the team chemistry situation among other things on DBB in the comments section in the Mavs.Pistons game thread. It's a good read.

8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I really wonder why nobody has sought Laimbs services. Is he not seeking a job in the NBA? Or are GM's afraid of him?

I really would like to see what kind of a coach he would be.

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's an awful thing to hear if you're a player on this team.

10. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

And it equally awful if you are a season ticket holder, buy game tickets, and/or nba league pass.

11. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

I really don't get any of this talk. How many years were Boston in transition before they claimed the trophy last season? Need I mention any of the bone headed moves Ainge made prior to him righting the ship? How about when Obi One was fired and Toine traded, despite the teams winning ways?

One or two seasons in transition is but a blink of an eye in NBA terms. And the team is still relatively competitive.

Now, I agree that the no big names are coming to us via FA signing. So what? Cap space can be used in other ways. Joe is likely to use the cap space to trade for a big contract type player or two without giving much if anything back. Given the state of the economy and its effect on the L, and any given owner's other businesses, no doubt there are a few teams that would be happy to slash pay roll and dump a big salary or two, even if it cost them a prized asset in the process: I expect draft picks and/or young potential studs to also be included in any deal Joe does a long these lines. The flexibility Joe has up his sleeves is priceless.

If there is one quality Joe has, its patience. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE. Which is why he will remain in charge of this franchise for decades, and Isaiah will never hold a GM position ever again.

As for MC, well why pay big money for a coach when we are in transition? If he does not pan out, Joe will replace him right around the time the moving and shaking has stopped and we have a new core in place.