Could our back court be lethal?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lovingj, Jul 6, 2009.

1. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

If Stucky learns how to kick the ball out on drives where he faces a shot blocking center or pick and rolls to Ben Gordon who is lethal on the 3 pt line then we might just have a lethal back court with these two.

If we can somehow land a good center like Tyson Chandler then I like our chances for being a contender in the '09 season.
  2. G-man

G-man Starter

You want to yammer on lethal?

If we don't get our frontcourt squared away a little better it'll be lethal for my azz watching'em. I expect I'll keel over in mid-December stiffer than a 2 dollar slab of beef jerky...
  3. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

We have a nice back court in Gordon, Stuckey, Bynum and Hamilton?

If hired hopefully Avery Johnson would make Stuckey a better point guard....
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Don't hold your breath on Avery's abilities to improve Stuckey, especially after the great job he did on Devin Harris. And the way things are, I am afraid that our back court will be lethal to our own team, and not necessarily the opponents.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure on Stuckey's ability to run the team, but they need to get some concise 1 on 1 play out of the 3 spot to make this thing go.

Offensively there is a lot of wiggle room from the bigs. I think people are way off base with the notion of this all the time low post scoring.

The Pistons offense has died on the wings recently.
  6. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Died at the hands of Tayshaun and Hermann..
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think that is a pretty solid back court. I wouldn't go as far as saying lethal, or even championship caliber, for that matter.

I'm not sure if you need an All-Star pure point guard to win a championship anymore, but the Pistons certainly don't have anything close to that.
  8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Ben Gordon last season? #1, he was always a Pistons killer. Each time he shot the ball, my heart cringed because his shots were money.

I had league pass last season and watched a lot of Bulls games, I am ecstatic because I am still trying to internalize that we actually got this guy.

Yes, we will have a very LETHAL back court if Stuckey spends time this summer being a better floor general. I am hoping that the next coach and assistant coaches teach him the finer points of being a point guard.

Would love for Mo Cheeks to be an asst coach with the pistons this year or some other hall of famer point guard.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't Ben Gordon beat us in a game just last season with some nifty last-minute shots?
  10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yes he did, I can say it now that it was a thing of beauty.
  11. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

12. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I agree. I didn't have league pass, but everytime I watched the Bulls I noticed how good he was. In the playoffs he played hurt and still played well. I'm excited to watch this guy this season.
  13. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Stuck and Gordon can work better than Stuck with Hamilton.
  14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Cosign. Avery is just so damn demanding, especially from his point guards. Not sure he'd be the best thing for Stuck.
  15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

There was the 4 point play he hit over Stuckey. That came right after Sheed took a turnaround fallaway three pointer with two defenders on him tho (and a 1 point lead). :stirthepot: :gun1:
  16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

yea last time we had a PG needing to be molded and got an overbearing demanding headcoach that turned out really bad....... oh wait

(not to say i'm pro or anti Avery.... just putting it out there)
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Lethal to us maybe. I'm waiting to see Ben Gordon against an actual defender in the PO's. He looked mediocre against us (which seems to constantly go unmentioned), and against BOS he was being guarded by Ray Allen who makes Rip look like a superstar, and made him look like the second coming of Magic Johynson in a game we played against them earlier in the season.

Stuck i'm on the fence about.

One things for sure if those two are our starting guards, we will definitely compete for worst defensive backcourt and i think we'll win.
  18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

we'll see Pistons doin everything what league has done for several years already: quick shots from dribble, 3pt attempts from odd rushes, slashings, big men taking quick shots from pick and roll ( instead of slow back to back game) etc.

I'm convinced that this more "natural" more relying to athletism bball suits for Stuckey a lot more than Billups-ish slow paced execution ( what they tried so miserably to copy las year. Sigh.)
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think it will have more to do with the exodis of Rip Hamilton than anything else. Three less screens for the SG per possesion means quicker offensive execution.

...Until Tay decides to palm the rock for 15 sec.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I still think Rip could be very effective playing opposite a good 1 on 1 3.

Stuckey is the puzzler for me. I can understand it taking some time for him to learn the point and to struggle with his shot some, but most of his troubles come from getting blocked or from barreling into people on his drives and that is supposed to be the strength of his game.