Could The Iverson/Pistons Problem Have Been Fixed?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by indiefan23, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

... actually, I'd rather not humiliate myself by putting on a halloween costume everytime I go to court.

2. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

lol. Case dismissed on a technicality? ;)

3. indiefan23

indiefan23 First Round Draft Pick

How does anyone on a internet forum know that? Unless we have trainers or AI's posse members here on the forum.

Why is it automatically AI's fault he left the team? It could have been Dumars/Curry who told him not to come back and AI saying 'okay, I'll be a pro, take the cash and won't cause a stink.' Its 100% just as likely. Actually, I'd say that's even more likely as Dumars already quit on Chauncy and traded him and AI has never quit on a team in his entire life. AI's feuded with his coaches and never taken a posession off. So why assume he quit on the team with 0 evidence?

I'm not even that huge an AI fan but the guy just gets panned for no reason. I always root for the underdog and this guy is getting thrown under the bus.

4. indiefan23

That is not a fact. No one knows and he's just as likely to have been asked to leave.

It was Pistons team doctors that did not clear him to play I'd assume, no. Either way, how is a back injury to a 34 year old guard who's spent an entire career getting smashed with hard fouls by people weighing 200-300 pounds more then him suspicious at all? If it was Steve Nash you would not doubt it one bit and he plays a much, much less damaging style then Iverson.

Look at the second game when he was hurt. He got them back in the game playing better then anyone else had in that game by far and Curry pulled him with 2 minutes left for a big fat loss.

Again, how do you know it was him. Maybe it was not about the money and AI agreed to be quiet to respect Joe D and let it go away. As your post indicates it does not matter what AI really does he's going to be judged poorly anyway.

Lastly, you know, AI could actually just be hurt. Everything negative here is purely a conjecture.

5. indiefan23

What role do you think he wants? I don't think AI really feels he has to prove himself individually anymore. Honestly, he's getting painted as a drama queen and an attention hog but I've yet to see or hear one teammate of AI's bash him. It may be out there but I've yet to see it. If he was those things I think there would be more videos like this on youtube.

I mean, I think a lot of people get on Iverson because he often says the wrong things at the wrong times. AI is a poor ghetto kid who beat the streets doing one thing his entire life: giving his all to sports. I don't know him but I don't think he spent a lot of time developing smarts beyond how to be a QB and put the ball in the hoop. He had to use the cards given to him like all of us. I just feel sorry for the guy.

6. indiefan23

Nice. :)

I'm guessing they told AI they just were not going to give him minutes. I'm pretty sure they would not tell him one thing and then the media the opposite. Rip/AI don't really do the same thing. AI plays point. They chose giving minutes to Will Bynum over AI and switching him with rip when they want to change up the look. Either way like I said in my article, there's more ways to keep people happy then giving them minutes.

Granted but AI quitting is just a conjecture. There are 10-20 different scenarios that could have taken place from ownership to the coach to Dumars to AI actually just being injured at 34 with a beat up back.

Heres one. What if Joe Dumars/ownership realized the ship was sinking and promised AI that if he left and kept quiet about them asking him to leave, cuz it would look terrible to the fans that they traded Chauncy only to ask him to leave, anyway, yea, what if Dumars talked to Ainge to get AI on the Celtics next year? Or the Lakers? I can tell you this much: Phil Jackson would not have a problem coping.

He would have a plan. AI would know it. Kobe would know it. It would make sense. Plan result: legitimate shot at a championship and everyone's known role in the plan contributes in their own way consistantly to that championship.

Anyway, thats a little side tracked. But yea, maybe Dumars worked a deal for Iverson or promised to call in a favour if Iverson helped him with a little PR and took the hit in the press he was already taking anyway. There are so many situations that could have happened and everyone seems to just focus on one.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

AI didn't need Joe's help finding another team as he will be a free agent.

Also, he would be an idiot to accept a plea bargain where he had to look like a quitter just so Joe would put in a good word for him.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think it was idiotic. To some Pistons fans, he looks like a quitter.

To the true believers, he is still a hero.

And to league execs, he still sells tickets.

9. roscoe36

indiefan, you can stop tracking back to your site now. You're using it wrong. It's not a free backlink every time you reply.

[​IMG]

10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

There is enough blame to go around. It could have been fixed, but then people would have had to put there ego's aside. AI did that at first and so did RIP, but they kept losing. RIP and AI each thought of themself as part of the solution and not the problem.

In the end, I firmly believe the agenda of the Pistons organization to force Stuckey to be the leader of this team and be the starting PG is what sent this team into the tank.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But you don't even know if it happened. You are saying that if AI really wanted to play out this season and Joe told him to quit and that he'd put it a good word for him with the Celtics that it was a smart decision for AI to take Joe up on that offer? If I were AI, the last thing that I would ever want would be to tarnish my reputation by looking like a quitter.

As far as selling tickets, we broke our multi year sellout streak with him in uniform. His ticket selling powers may dwindle with his stats.

12. roscoe36

I never claimed to know what happened, maybe you are confusing me with the other dude from Canada.

Indeed, but someone will take that gamble for less than $10 million.

13. indiefan23

But no one knows what happened so that scenario is maybe not as likely as AI quitting but just as founded.

14. indiefan23

Oh, thanks. :) I thought it was just like a "your page" link thing...

15. indiefan23

Agree with that for sure. Stucky was still too young. One more bench year would have done him fine.

Regarding blame: its just been released that Sheed unsuccessfully tried to seek a buyout from the Pistons. One of the 100 other scenarios I mentioned was another key player quitting on the team. Though cuz it's Sheed I doubt he gets nearly the negative attention.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If it were confirmed, it would getting plenty of criticism. It sounds a little unbelievable to me though. Why not just wait til the end of the season and go ring hunting as a free agent?

17. roman

roman Second Round Draft Pick

AI didnt quit on anybody. And he gave a shot for the bench thing to work. In return he got 18 minutes. Curry simply couldnt tell him " go away, we dont need you to play with us anymore " . Curry and dumars wanted AI to look like the bad guy, and they gave him the 18 minutes.

Now , there is nothing wrong in being bench player. getting 25 - 30 minutes. But players who get 18 minutes are scrubs.

The pistons indirectly pushed Allen Iverson to leave, they did their best to piss off AI and make him not play again.

What difference would an 18 minute player make in a game? None to me.

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Ya think Iverson really let himself try to settle into the role of bench player???

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Besides our 5 starters and AI, nobody on the team averaged more than 18 mpg this year. And most of our bench players also got a healthy dose of DNP-CD's.

JM- 18
    KB- 17
    AA- 17
    AJ- 15
    WB- 14
    WH- 11

So, if you are saying that an 18 mpg player cannot make a difference, then you are saying that a bench cannot make a difference.

For the first 80% of the season, AI was the 2nd most used player on the team with 36.5 mpg. After solidifying himself as the lowest FG% on the team and after milking the minor injury for a month, his minutes were understandably cut.

20. indiefan23

Uh, they gave Iverson 18 minutes to push him out and make the press talk about faulty Iverson again and did it intentionally. Find me the last allstar to get benched for 18 minutes a game, much less the last one to get benched and be happy about it. Rip complained about getting benched and he was still getting 30 minutes so why aren't you complaining about him? I don't see how one can be rationalized and not the other.

I think the issue was that they had no plan to really use Iverson as anything but a scapegoat. I mean, you're blaming Iverson for things as we speak when its coming out that Sheed asked them to buy him out midway through the season. How bout Sheed's effort in the playoffs?

Don't you think there would have been a few more wins if Sheed was not mailing it in and actually gave a crap? And what about the other players mailing it in? The fact is the team imploded and quit on their coach both with and without Iverson. Thats not Iversons fault but he's getting all the blame for it.