1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Counting The Pistons Out/Do We Have The Best Record In The East?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Apr 13, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Just back in town yesterday and I have been listening to sportstalk radio for the past day and a half.

While in Arkansas/Texas/Oklahoma over the course of almost three weeks, I listened to the various sports talk shows in the local area.

Not one time did I hear them mention the Pistons as major contenders in the East. It was always Cavaliers, the Heat or the Baby Bulls as coming out of the East. The Pistons weren't mentioned even as an after thought.

Being in the Military, Half of my Unit is in Iraq & Bosnia. We have about 30 soldiers who are from Detroit and the surrounding area. We talk by phone or e-mail regarding home stuff as well as military stuff.

They have the Stars & stripes newspaper and a quasi sports channel that they tune in to when they get a chance, not one mention of the pistons.

I will label this year as the worse Pistons snub of all times.

This afternoon, I listened to John Thompson who had Sam Smith who is a columnist with some Chicago newspaper. They talked about the Bulls winning the East and Miami would be their greatest challenge in the ECF. The pistons were not mentioned at all and we are talking about 45 minutes of NBA playoff preview.

I was livid and tried desperately to call the station, I am sure that the numerous pistons fans in this area who listened felt the same as me.

This is WAR.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They were all right last year... unfortunately. That has given them renewed bravado.

I just hope the players feel as snubbed as you do.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Bulls whupped up on us this season and the mainstream media deserves to talk smack.

Respect is earned, not given. Now we have to go out and get some, just like Chicago.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps not as much as last year, but I thought the Pistons have gotten much respect this season. Many of the folks at ESPN, TNT, USA Today, etc. are saying the Pistons are the team to beat in the East.

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Good...we have the media right where we want them. The Pistons always seem to play better when the media doesn't give them a chance.

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A day and a half of sports talk radio will do that to you.

But you're right. And it's not only the Pistons. As discussed in other threads, no on is talking about the Spurs either. I guess it's the time of the year when the "playoff fans" come out and start looking around and start calling in to radio shows.

Winning is the best revenge.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Pistons and the Spurs are the "Old Guard". Hopefully, they'll have to pry the finals out of our "Going To Work" hands........................

8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Let`s just get everybody upset and have.......................

Houston Rockets VS Detroit Pistons

Finals 2007

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There would probably be a BILLION or so people tuning in from China, so the NBA could deal with it.

10. roscoe36

To watch T-Mac. His jersey outsells Yao's in China.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons are 51-28. Rockets are 50-29. Right now the Pistons have home court advantage over the Rockets in the NBA Finals. Maybe these last couple of games should not be thrown away....

12. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

What I think everyone has to understand that after last year attaining the best record and truly being dominant we were the team to beat. However, when we lost is such a dissapointing fashion to the Heat in 6 games all the so-called experts has us as "done." In my honest opinion this year we really haven't helped our cause. We consistently produce sub-par efforts to inferior teams, we are porous as far as our interior D is concerned, and WE DO NOT GET POINTS IN THE PAINT ON A CONSISTENT BASIS. Until proven otherwise we have lost our edge as a "true" contender. I pray everyday that these guys muster up some pride and give it one last shot going into this post-season. I love our guys and will defend them vehemently against anyone including even members on this forum. We need to make a statement this year otherwise this could get embarassing.

Go Pistons!!!!!!!!!

13. max

max All-Star

Kind of surprised by this. I had thought most were picking the Pistons.

We will have to pay attention to the playoff predictions from the name brand analysts which will be comming out soon.

I know the opinion in Chicago is that the Bulls will beat the Pistons but thats mainly a team pride thing.

14. roscoe36

I just had an epiphany about being first.

In our last two seasons in the Finals, we played great basketball right down the stretch as homecourt was still important to us.

Last year and this year, we've locked up homecourt early, and suddenly our players are in need of all this rest and recuperation.

I think it is a dangerous situation to approach the playoffs like a switch will be thrown when the ball goes up in Game 1.

We all love to see the young guys play, but within the structure of a competitive atmosphere. Not a 4th Q where the bench is thrown to the wolves and no starter will come in to replace an ineffective player.

These guys now playing 20 MPG will not see that much time in the playoffs unless there is an injury or suspension. Both are somewhat unlikely as the Pistons have already expanded their bench rotation this year to include an 8th player.

If Tay was to get nicked up, Delf would start. McDyess for a big. Murray for a guard. Sure it's not ideal, but then walking into the playoffs isn't ideal either. There is no momentum. You're basically starting a whole new season from scratch, but with homecourt.

I cannot fathom the point of playing Ronald Dupree over a big like Davis or Mohammed (per Lee in the Toronto 4/13 game thread). Ronald Dupree will probably NOT make the playoff rotation. These games shouldn't be about rewarding Ronald for practicing hard all year. We're trying to win a title.

While I would like to see Toronto get the 2nd seed and push the Bulls into a more difficult matchup, tonight was a winnable game if we played to win.

I'm totally backtracking on my earlier comments about rest and health being important. But when I looked at how strongly we rolled into the 2004 and 2005 playoffs, the answer was staring me right in the face.

You don't lose games down the stretch and expect to call yourself a Champion in June.

We need to get serious. These games aren't meaningless. A roll is an intangible that you can't coach or plan for.

15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Unless you're the 2006 Miami Heat. They lost their last three games of the regular season, including a 24 point blowout loss at home against the Bulls. The Heat did win three in a row before that, but they had a 13 point loss at home to the Pistons with only two weeks left in the season.

Not that I recommend playing with fire too much in that "we'll just turn it on when we need to" fashion--the fact that Miami was able to do it last year was pretty surprising--but I don't think the home stretch of the regular season matters as much you're claiming. If the Pistons did play well down the stretch in the '04 and '05 regular seasons, they sure didn't look too great for most of the '04 second round series against New Jersey, and I also remember them looking not so good when they went down 2-1 to Indy in the '05 second round.

16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Good point. For that matter, you might as well throw Utah in there too at 49-30...they always seem to have our number. Yeah...they're longshots, but crazy stuff happens.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

"I think it is a dangerous situation to approach the playoffs like a switch will be thrown when the ball goes up in Game 1."

"There is no momentum. You're basically starting a whole new season from scratch, but with homecourt."

"These games shouldn't be about rewarding Ronald for practicing hard all year. We're trying to win a title."

"I'm totally backtracking on my earlier comments about rest and health being important. But when I looked at how strongly we rolled into the 2004 and 2005 playoffs, the answer was staring me right in the face."

"You don't lose games down the stretch and expect to call yourself a Champion in June."

"We need to get serious. These games aren't meaningless. A roll is an intangible that you can't coach or plan for."

All of these comments are thoughtful, but.....................

These Pistons have played together too long to worry about the switch. I've never seen a team in the history of team sports which has such control over their "switch" that these Pistons. Give em some rest. They'll still play every game, just less minutes. The #1 factor for the Pistons doing well this post season is the "Psychological" factor. If they want it and are willing to go for it, the finals and possibly the championship is theirs.............(See 2006 Heat)

18. max

max All-Star

Just looked it up. In both 04 and 05 the Pistons went 3-1 in the final 4 games and in 06 were 1-3. 1st round were all the same winning them in 5. 2nd round were 7 games in 04, 6 in 05 and 7 last year.

Its a tough call to either rest the starters or play the bench in the final games. Perhaps Flip is is going a little too far with the bench.

19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i think this year is different. the bench will have a much more vital role in this years playoffs than years before so it makes sense to get them extended time. we actually wouldn't have lost if cb played because we would have flip running the second unit instead of lindsey the runstopper hunter. so it's not like we are purposely losing going into the post season.

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At least some of us are on the same page here. Like I posted in the "rest or play'em" thread, you got the keep playing the guys who got you there to keep the momentum going. Those starters had enough rest in the Toronto game for Flip to bring back two of them win the game. In the LB years, we played it to the end, it carried over playoffs and we got to the finals.

Now Flip is trying to get the bench some run time which is fine, but they can play any time throughout the game but don't have them out there in the final five mns to see if they can pull out a W. and especially not vs a playoff team fighting for position themselves.
    :focus:
    I think the reason that some in the media doubt the Pistons is because of our history thse season of not putting teams away when we have a chance to, with lackadaisical play when we get leads (which is normally caused by the lazy three ball attempts and and not challenging second tier players on shots). The blowout by the Bulls a week or so ago, may have shifted some opinions of NBA media types too. You can't let a playoff team embarassass you in your own crib.

A Heat-Bulls match up in the second round would be great IMO. Let them bruise each other. We can handle both rapts and cavs