Cuban Pay Physicists at U of T To Study New Ball

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 31, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

2. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

dang, i am asleep today. i saw the thread title and i thought Castro and then i thought, weird, i know that cuban science and technology developed greatly after the revolution, but i can't imagine that they could afford this (or would care to) and anyway, why do it at U of T? all that thinking based on a stupid assumption.

and now i've shared it with all of you.

you're welcome. :)

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Now Steve Nash is complaining about the new ball messing up his fingers.
    They made a good point about how different the ball caroms off the backboard which will effect Duncan, Wade and others.

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

LMAO!!! Thanks for sharing prof! :)

5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I had this one girl friend who used to play hoops. She was actually pretty good.

Anyway I will never forget what she told me one time after a shoot around.

Honey your balls are just too slippery to hold on to and on top of that they ain't got no bounce.

Needless to say, she was waived the next day.

6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Also, the physicists recommended inflating the ball to 14.5 pounds per square inch, rather than the regulation 8.5 psi, to address the problem of its lack of bounce

This raises a red flag for me. We are not just talking about an outer thin covering, but some inner composite layers that must dampen vibration. Any way you look at it, leather does breathe, so it must affect the inner layer as air molecules react to air temperature and perhaps provide the extra bounce. I wonder how this will affect bounces off the backboard and rim. Leave it to Cuban to take the analytical approach. The players feel the difference and more is not needed. They have every right to complain.

7. max

max All-Star

Dumb question. Why did Stern want this new ball? Whats the point? Figures he has changed almost everything else and what the heck why not?

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think it's so the NBA can resemble International ball more... next he'll want to go to a trapezoid lane and bring in the 3 pt arc.

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You may not believe this, but it is becoming extremely hard to find top-quality leather. Just look at the baseball gloves and on a more personal level...your shoes. Ever think about how a good old fashion polish on the shoes doesn't have that shine or depth of luster?

Seems to me that the great state of Texas could at least donate a few steers. Haliburton refused the bid on the contract so we are stuck with the composite.