1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

DALLAS! Damnit!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, May 22, 2006.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sorry I'm looking past Miami...IMO 6 games...tops. I would have preferred the Spurs. Whether Dallas gets Phoenix or LA, I see Dallas walking away with the WCF.

I think the Mavs will be a much bigger challenge than SA. I don't see Sheed getting the calls over Nowitzki.

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

I think Dallas is a better matchup for the Pistons, actually, as far as phantom calls. Nowitzki is the only guy who gets calls on that team. On the Spurs, Duncan AND Ginobli both get unspeakable help from the refs. Secretly, I was hoping Dallas would win because if Cuban steps foot in the Palace with his BS, his azz will be crucified. I can just see Cuban pulling his "Detroit has the worst fans" garbage that he pulled with the Spurs. Bring it on, Mark. The Spurs, as was shown last season, match up quite well with Detroit. However, detteam, I agree that the Mavs present problems in other areas. Is Sheed active enough to check Nowitzki? Probably not on that ankle. I say Tay is long enough to bother Dirk and Sheed can check Howard. The Mavs' speedy backcourt could be a problem. Also, Stackhouse can light 'em up off the bench.

First things first, Miami will be a handful. That series will likely go 7 and the Mavs are capable of disposing whomever they get in fewer games. Either way, the WCF will be the Mavs to lose.

Props to all the forum dwellers who picked the Mavs to win this one. I couldn't have imagined it.

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Many thanks gazoo!!

After tonight I think a leader check would be in order for our playoff brackets...............................:eyebrows:

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Get crackin' Sonny Jim!

5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:frusty:Dallas may be a better matchup in terms of phantom fouls, but not in terms of real ones. The Pistons can probably handle Nowitzki, but they have nobody who can come close to guarding Josh Howard in their rotation, and I don't have any confidence in Chauncey's ability to outplay JET. The Mavs attack the rim relentlessly, and the Pistons perimeter defense isn't ll that good and their interior defense is bad = parade to the free throw line. The Pistons are an awful rebounding team; the Mavs a great one. And Avery Johnson, Devin Harris, and Erick Dampier frighten me.

Mavs in 5.

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

I just can't imagine the Mavericks beating the Spurs in a 7 game series. How could that be?:doh:

Don't tell me it was Jerry Stackhouse and Avery Johnson that made the difference.

7. ggazoo69

ahb, you probably won't be asked to be the Pistons' inspirational speaker if this matchup materializes. :)

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What about Ben on Dirk. I thought we figured that out in the last game against them.

There is one main reason why I am glad the Mavs won... Bowen shuts Rip down. That really throws off our rythm.

9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:eyebrows: I've been saying since January that the Mavs are the only team in the NBA that the Pistons can't beat in a 7-game series. But I'll try to let the positive message take over.

Oh, well. Maybe they'll choke in the WCF again and this is all moot.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Are we seriously talking about our finals opponent?

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good call.

[​IMG]

12. ggazoo69

Nobody is looking past Miami. Especially after the way this team struggled to dispatch Cleveland. Besides, Flip said after the teams' last meeting that he hoped Detroit and Dallas would meet in the Finals. So do I. But Miami will be an incredibly tough test. They're hungry after last season's loss at home with a hobbled Wade. They got an ax to grind. Most of the thoughts on this thread are very hypothetical in nature.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sorry...I'm an optomist...I AM looking past Miami :) . The Piston curse has fallen upon Riley before. Even Flip can't screw this up, we have many veterans that outrank him in playoff experience and heart.

I see Dallas in our future. Okay...I just put my Quiji board away...let's see how this plays out.

14. max

max All-Star

Its ok for fans to chatter about it. Lets hope the Pistons do not start thinking past Miami.

Keep hearing about a wake up call in Cleveland. We had a wake up call in Milw and the team kept hitting the snooze buttom all through the Clev series.

15. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

I found myself thinking about it while I was watching the two back-to-back games today.

I'm not too worried about Dallas, except the fact that they're resilent and their bench is deep; but I'm VERY glad the Suns won. Dallas and Phoenix will probably go 7 games with the winner most likely having dead legs at the end of it (thanks to the Suns fast-paced offense).

16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

One thing is certain, if we get past Miami and face Dallas in the Finals, we will need our bench big time! The Little General knows Flip has no confidence in his bench and will go 10 deep to wear down our starters. By the 3rd or 4th game our starters will be spent.

With that in mind Flip better utilize at least an 8-9 man rotation against Miami, or it could get ugly in The Finals against Dallas.

17. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Miami are not as scary as the Mavs IMO. The Mavs are loaded for bear with their starters and bench. A poor offensive game by them is 90-95pts.

18. ggazoo69

They haven't come up against Pistons' D for a 7-gamer. Pistons' D is not for the faint of heart. Although, the Mavs' D has certainly improved under the Lil General. It was horrid under Nellie, the Don Coryell of basketball coaches.

19. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I hope so, even if we are jumping the gun on the Miami series. The Mavs are the only team that leaves me wondering if the Pistons have enough stuff to beat them.

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

But what they gonna do with all that junk in the trunk?