Dallas Jan. 23rd, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 19, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

And this move has made it so much better.

2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Like John Barry said, "this is not Detroit Basketball"

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'm watching the game,(haven't seem em in awhile) and I shout about the %%% %%%% turnovers, so the wife checks the oven...Sees that it's empty, and then shuts off the TV. She says that I'm swearing too much lately. Imagine that...:icon_evil:

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

this game was a fluke when coach curry gets the rotations down in a few months we will be fine

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You talkin bout summer ball right?

6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

We just need time to "gel"

7. LA Dre

I think they were for a while

8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

that's not the point. you said that the lineup change killed our team chemistry.

my point is, you can't kill what you didn't have to begin with.

i think there's arguable validity to some of your other points about what we lose with this line up. but i just can't agree that this lineup change killed our team chemistry.

9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Is your TV in the oven?

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Ok this line-up has killed what was left of our team chemistry. IMO, there was still some left. The effort seem to be gone now as well.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Have you now settled on a sample size of one game?

12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

It is now...:gaah:

13. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

HA we still had some left??..could've fooled me

and this was an ugly game for the Pistons obviously but I think it's way to early to say this new lineup is a failure which is seems like your basically saying...

Like Mike Jackson was saying the Pistons just don't have any leadership...Prince is too soft spoken...AI has never been a vocal leader he's more a lead by example....Stuckey is too young...and Sheed well next......Rip i dont think he's the vocal leader type too but idk..

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Screw this team. I don't really mind losing if we play hard and smart out there. This is pathetic. Downright pathetic.

15. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

and 1 more thing...when is the last time Amir has played and wasn't taken out because of foul trouble...I mean its not like this guy is a rookie..its his 4th year... that crap is getting old...EVERY game he just picks up foul after foul...he was playing great in the 1st quarter but he couldn't even come back in cuz he picked up 3 fouls..

16. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Okay, fair enough, you saw some still left and I didn't. No point arguing that since chemistry is clearly a matter of perception.

And I agree that the effort was gone tonight. The weird thing (and I can't remember if you saw the Toronto game) is that the effort and energy was very clearly there against them. I know you were skeptical of that victory because of Toronto being bad and I think that skepticism makes sense where some areas of the game are concerned: i.e. their weakness may have exaggerated some aspects of our game such as offensive efficiency.

but I don't really see how playing a weak team could make it look like we were trying harder and bringing more energy.

More generally, I think that much of what you listed as a result of this lineup change (Richard to 6th man) has more to do with the trade and, actually more precisely, with the failure on the part of Joe D. to round out the trade by balancing the roster in other ways given the imbalances created by the Chauncey for Allen trade.

17. LA Dre

I love my Pistons, ignore the wife to watch them and sometimes get behind in work to converse with my friends here, but this team is lacking something and in it's current state we will finish with .500 record at best and will be lucky to hold on to the 7th spot....

We are @42 games now and at first it was said that we would need 15-20 games to get situated, then 30..what now 60??

The small lineup is killing us no matter if the start it or not. We were down by 4 (55-51) with a little more than 3 mins left in the half, and MC swapped Max for AI and the Mavs finished the qtr on a 8-0 run and never really looked back. (rip and Stuckey were already out there). MC is trying to play his best five players, but 3 of them are "short people".

Somebodies need to be moved and lets start at the top with Curry and then AI or Rip. I like AI, but if someone offered me a big man who could score, rebound, post up, slash and not get fouls, I would pull that deal...but alas, we are planning for the future so Cap is more important than keeping fans happy in 2009.....so it looks like the grim ripper....has to go.

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Are you still listing all the things you dislike about Chauncey ?

What's going to change ? Bynum will still be forced to play. AA will still be relegated to the remaining back-up SF minutes. And the floor will still be crowded with AI/Stuck b/c they are repetitive. Prince will still be inconsistent as he has been for 4+ years. We will still play small b/c Curry will not sacrifice AI's minutes. Our defense will still suffer.

If you need to see the results repeatedly to make a decision fine. But this is eerily similar to the Flip Saunders era. People defending him, defending him, every year saying this would be it, ignoring the pattern, and then some people having to admit they were wrong after 3 years.

It's been a half a season. These line-up changes are b/c of the AI trade since we now have two SG's. I think it's safe to say it's not working. There's no magic fix. And Curry is exacerbating the situation with his decision making.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Curry can't coach. Or at least, he just refuses to. The rest of the game is not as important as the fact we don't have a coach for this team. Dumars might want to address that.

A two point game late in the 2nd quarter. We have at that point, thrown the ball away enough to have given Dallas 10 points off resulting fast breaks. Dirk was lighting up Amir to start the game. But yet, there we were, competing well. Curry was even playing a good rotation. He had, to that point, had a center and a power forward in at all times. So what does he do with his success to that point?

He throws it all away. He goes, for no reason at all, to small ball. Tay guarding Dirk. Dirk abuses Tay inside. We give up a 14-4 run to end the 2nd quarter, giving Dallas a 12 point lead at the half.

Curry also played the Dyess / Sheed pair to start the 4th, in effect tossing the game away. Sure, we were already down 18, but you got a quarter to go yet. Teams do make comebacks. But not with this coach at the helm. He deliberately finds the wrong buttons to push. He had to play small ball. Regardless if it fits the game at hand. And he desperately had to play the Dyess / Sheed pair, again, who cares if it fits what is going on.

Amir was burnt by Dirk a lot, but at least Amir stayed with Dirk well and made him shoot somewhat difficult shots. Amir got some back for us, as we had 10 points off his offensive boards and one steal.

JMAX gave us some good minutes, including guarding Dirk well in the 2nd quarter. Which makes it quite amazing that Curry pulled JMAX at that point to go small. A coach who can't even see what is going on in front of his own eyes is quite worthless.

Afflalo played plenty. Hit a few shots. Bynum hit some shots, opened both the 2nd and 4th quarters. Result of that plus lots of garbage time: Stuckey and AI played light minutes. Heck, Kwame even got some burn. Actually made two free throws, and some shots around the basket. Looked good.

With 5 minutes yet to go, and the game still not totatlly out of reach, Curry completely throws in the towel by putting Herrmann in the game. Gee, this guy is desperate for us to lose I guess. Teams do come back from 18 down with 5 minutes to go. Believe it or not. This is twice in recent games Curry has decided not to even let his team try for a comeback. Not good.

Sheed did not do much. Dyess very little. Tay? Not much. AI, little. Few shots even, especially in the first half. Stuckey? Some shots here and there. Can't say didly for his defense.

The Rip coming off the bench thing did work in this one. Rip looked fresh as can be in the 2nd quarter, and was hitting shots, both from outside and driving in. But then Curry ruined it all, insisting on bringing back in his other starters while leaving Rip in. Now Rip is guarding the small forward, a guy he can't begin to guard. Just because Rip was doing well, no, its no reason to revert to small ball.

Well, again, I suppose you will hear a bunch of excuses about effort from Curry. No, do not expect him to raise his hand and say he messed up. But he did. And he could start gaining a bit of respect as a coach if he took some responsibility.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Oooooo. Petty and angry.

You didn't answer my question. But that's ok. I already knew the answer.