Dallas Jan. 23rd, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 19, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I agree that some of these things are a product of the imbalance created by the trade, but at the same time with Chauncey i think the problems would be tame compared to now since he can play PG and SG. Having interchangeable parts would not force us into situations where we're forced to alter our line-up this drastically starters and otherwise.

With 2 guards that could play the 1 and the 2, and only one actual 2 plus the offensive efficiency that results in having a PG on the floor at all times we wouldn't be seeing the chaos we're seeing now.

And if we played 3 guards the defensive deficiency with that group wouldn't be a tenth as large as it is with something like AA/Bynum/Rip or AI/Stuck/Rip.

----------

I did see the TOR game, and they looked like they were at a funeral in the beginning of the game, but the energy/effort did pick up in large part due to Maxiell. Without that kick in the butt from the bench though, they looked as awful as they did at the beginning of the TOR game. I don't know what the exact reason is just speculation on my part, but the body language in this game was jarring to me.

Someone mentioned that it looks like Curry is losing the team. I'm not sure.

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Was Curry not at the game last year in Dallas when Herrmann shot down Dirk? To not use him was huge mistake. If you wonder why the players look so dispirited you should think how you would feel if you were a landscaper cutting grass with scissors when you got a lawn mower back in the truck?

The ESPN guys were talking about the upcoming BOS v DAL game and mentioned how BOS does a great job of taking away your first scoring option. It is hard to tell what DET is trying to do on D. Even when they give up 80 points it seems like they try to stop everything and end up stopping nothing.

DAL shot 65% in the first quarter and their shooting percentage went up in the second. That is what what happens when you take Amir Johnson off the floor.

Mike Tirico after Amir's 3rd foul of the first quarter says, '3 fouls in the first quarter, that's very rare!' It's got be at least the 5th time it has happened to him this year. Start Kwame and have Amir be the first big off the bench in the first.

DET's offense might have been worse than the D. That is saying something.

Ripper looks pretty bad at the 3.

3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Just following your lead. I answered your question in the rest of my post.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, just fire the coach. The 2nd unit was doing fine out there. I mean Rip in particular. Why trade him just because a brain challenged coach decides to play small ball. Nope, if we had a half way decent coach, he would have just told AI that he was not going back in for the 2nd quarter. Make AI understand that while Rip is coming off the bench, AI too was going to be playing less minutes.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

As far as I know AI is one of the hardest working players on the court. We are not losing because of the trade. There is a lot more going on than we can see.

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Can we get over Chauncey? Losing Ben hurt us a lot more and I don't remember people crying over him this much. Again we are not losing because of the players we have on the court. The talent is there.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Talent only wins when talent fits together properly on a team.

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Who says our group with Chauncey would have meshed? You are only assuming that. He played 2 games here before he was traded. Again there is a lot more going on. You can NEVER pinpoint a big problem on one thing. NEVER.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Indeed, the universe rarely presents a 3 dimensional problem in one dimension.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

One of those other problems is the front court. This team has gotten away with being undersized at PF/C for a while but now that Sheed is slowing down the problem is obvious. He can't cover it up anymore. We need a big. I wish we could of got that Krstic guy.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The fact that it meshed the year before ? Flip did play the 3 guard line-up.

I don't think it's stretch to say this team would be at a better point than where it is now if we didn't make the trade.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My dear, recent indications to the contrary, I have not been petty or angry with you. If you will recall, our interaction online started off with much more friendship.

But for the sake of peace, could we not at least pretend to be cordial?

I'm off to sleep.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We have had a change in coaching and the guys are getting older. It worked under Flip but who says it works under Curry? A lot of things worked right under LB. A LOT, but not under Flip. The same could of happened with Curry being the new coach.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

What I mean is that there are a lot of factors in play here. Has the trade changed things? Absolutely. But has it been the Armageddon of this team? Absolutely not.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons team is now an enigma,.. we are not just being analyzed by the local folks at PF, detnews, Mlive etc, now its the nationwide ESPN, NBA TV and TNT Jocks..all have an opinion and all are critical of both the players and the coaching,.

We are at the halfway point and all agree on what we faithful fans don't want to believe that this team is going nowhere. There was no defensive intensity shown tonight as the Mavs had several uncontested shots. As NBA TV jock Steve Smith said tonight, we have no defensive identity and that was our motto from 2002 to 2006 and it kept us as an elite team for 7 years. The ABC Jocks talked more about our deficiencies than the game itself.

Some meaningless stats:
    FT > shooting 28-29 ...still lost by 21 Tay 10-10, Rip 7-7, but Stuck never got to the line.

1-3 from beyond the arc (AA 1-1, Sheed and Fabio each with the obligatory miss)

Assists > 8 in the first half, 1 in the 3rd and 4 during garbage time

Only 2 fast break points :confused:

Mavs had 10 steals :gaah:

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Hopefully getting called out will wake us up...This is so annoying. I remember when we were the hard working team. Do your job nothing else team. The team with the most heart and hustle every game no matter what the score was. It wasn't long ago you know.

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

"Like in many situations, though, maybe some people don't understand the job you've done until you're gone," Flip Saunders

I laughed at this when I first read it, but it came up true. Whats unusual about this team is that we didn't go from the bottom and climb our way up to the top. We got a great group of guys and got to the top surprisingly fast. Then we slowly slid down further and further. We can just clearly see it now.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That is kind of what the jocks were saying...what happen to us?? I am thinking that Curry and Joe should watch a tape of that ESPN broadcast game and listen to those comments instead of the Blaha/Kelser replay...

20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We Piston fans need to start looking at some hard facts. This roster just might not work. Curry went small at the end of the second with a bad and predictable result. But he had AI on the bench the whole quarter. He probably felt compelled to put him in. Not AI's fault, not all Curry's fault--the roster is in imbalance.

Deeper still, the "big" lineup in the first quarter hardly did a job. Dallas is a soft team going nowhere but they are not a scrub team and they had their way. That tells us something of the Piston level of play at the moment.

Our bigs are aging rapidly. It is time for the young bigs to step up if they can. Well, Dirk torched Amir. Can't sugar coat that, blame the refs, etc.. One game. But that is what happened. Are our young bigs ready to step up or not?