Home Dallas Mavericks Saturday, February 22, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

On a normal team KCP would be allowed to do what he's good at and build from there.

Here in Joe D's land of mis-matched puzzle pieces he needs to be something he's not if he's going to play.

If the Pistons made it easy they might develop a player or two.

Instead of a 3 and D guy shooting open shots off of his veterans he can instead catch passes off of his shoelaces while the D closes in.

2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I only saw the first half. Jennings was 1 for 7 in the game. His bucket was Josh feeding him a bounce pass for a layup in the half court. What is wrong with this scenario? Stuckey is starting to join in what has to be the worst shooting backcourt in the league with a 2 for 9.

How much did Jennings play in the 4th? Anyone know--he had 29 minutes? The coach sat him the prior game in the 4th. At least this coach is not afraid to go at one of the key problems on this team: the lack of consistent point guard play. The problem can't be ignored. And Jennings needs time to figure out what is wrong. This is not a bad move for him or the organization. But look at the coach's option: put in Bynum for heavy minutes. Bynum made himself an NBA player to his credit but he is a third tier guard who can play like 4 minutes a game to change the pace temporarily. I would rather play Stuckey at the point.

This all goes back to Joe Dumars. Did Bynum's 3 year contract and the signing of Jennings prevent Joe from taking Trey Burke? How about a few years back? Was having a small guard around already, Bynum, what prevented Joe from taking the small Charlotte guard (forgot his name)?

Whatever the case, the Pistons cannot go into next year with the level of guard play we have seen all year long. I just hope that the solution to the problem does not mean giving up Monroe. But whatever the solution, this has to be resolved by next year. Either Jennings shows up or he is moved to the second unit. Again, I would start to move most of the players associated with the last 4 years of the losing era.

Lee356 likes this.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I remember Bynum played the end of the game. I think most of that was with Stuckey, though maybe Jennings came in for a bit there? Anyway, this coach has changed things up just a bit. For instance, in the game before last, much of the 2nd half of the 2nd quarter was played with our starters, except Bynum was in at shooting guard, and Singler was sitting. Such a move, having Singler off the floor for any length of time, was unheard of with Cheeks toward the end of his tenure here.

However, for the most part, the new coach has not changed enough from the last coach to make anyone notice. Still the same roster, and still playing the wrong guys on that roster. Still oblivious to the fact the other team burns us continuously by exploiting how slow Singler is. Still oblivious to the fact that Bynum playing hurts our D, and typically hurts our offense too, although in this particular game Bynum dished plenty of assists and shot the ball well too.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Any chance you have the game still recorded? If so, please watch toward the end of the first quarter, and tell me what you think of Singler's defense?

5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Wait, so you hate Singler, who can actually put up numbers in an NBA game, but love Siva, who is simply not of NBA calibre and likely never will be? Seriously?

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At this point of the season, even if he had chosen Tim Hardaway Jr as the SG, at least no one would be afraid to pass the rock to him.

7. LA Dre

The way the team is currently playing, I can't see taping the games unless I am out for the evening. So this season I have only taped no more than 2-3 games.

I too am not excited about Singler, but he hustles on both ends of the floor and whereas Stuckey has one thing on his mind ...shoot first.....if only Pope was that aggressive. ?????? Bynum, when getting only limited time thinks shoot first too, but lately has decided that he can distribute if given the task..but still gets beat on defense.

Which is why I say the combo of having all three on them there is a defensive disaster unless one of the Big sharing the floor with them is having great game.............and other team is tanking..

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum really is pretty spectacular on offense when he has some talent around him. He penetrates at will and somehow gets all the way to the rim. His feel for when and how to lob the ball to Drummond is by far the best on the team.

On defense, he really has no chance, except to be pesky and go for steals, which he does adequately. There's no denying the lack of talent in the height department though. He needs Dikembe Mutumbo behind him... or maybe the 2016 version of Andre Drummond.

linwood likes this.
  9. LA Dre

You are right TaS...he gets at least three alley-oop chances to Dre a game and at least 2.5 are converted. If he sees he has shooters he will pass, other wise he will just go to the hoop. You just got to know when to pull him if the other team is pulling away despite his penetration.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't really understand why the coaches ever put him in the game without Dre. They are like PB&J.

The Panda and LA Dre like this.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Singler hustles, but not on D. On D, he simply lacks enough speed to ever call it hustle. Seriously, take time to tape the games, and take a good look at Singler'd defense. I will be glad to point you to the right part of the game to look at. Ok, basically, I am deperate for someone else to be taking a look at the film on this guy, not just watch the game. Watching the game casually, you do not see all the nuances of the offensive plays of the other teams. If you do look closely, you will see that they are burning us by losing Singler, which almost never takes any particular effort. Our defense scrambles, and a moment later they score. Yes, some people are that good, that they miss very little upon watching a clip on a play just once. I find those people rare though. Most are like me and need to take the time to slow it down some and study.

12. max

max All-Star

If jennings is such a bust , such a pass ist useless point then how can he be 5th in the league at 8 APG?

He does have problems in the half court but he could be the best around in the open court. Is that worth throwing it all away and starting from scratch?

13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

You need to watch each game at least 8 times before you can understand. Most aren't good enough to watch once or twice and understand the complexities of the game.

linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He covers the most ground, has the highest average speed, thrives in transition, and holds opponents to one of the lowest ppp's on the team, including 30% ish from the perimeter. He's 4th on the team in rebounds and 4th on the team in blocks behind the biggest front court ever assembled. Yet, somehow, he doesn't hustle on D and is a sieve. He must be conserving his energy so that he can maintain the second highest TS% on the team.

The Panda, linwood and Slippy like this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, Will Bynum out rebounded Andre Drummond in this game. The Vegas odds of that would have been remote.

linwood likes this.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I have been told that rebounds are defense, so sounds like WB had a fantastic defensive game.

17. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

It must be his length and lateral quickness bothering the glass

linwood likes this.