Away Dallas Mavericks Sunday, January 26, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jorts and drummond seem like a decent combo.
  2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Jorts is a sneaky-good defender. He's the season's biggest surprise/lone bright spot.
    del likes this.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Drummond has often been victimized by Singler, because the coach has often called on Drummod to protect the paint all by himself, since Singler is basically non-existent as an inside defender.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Perimeter defense and scoring are our problems. It's a sausage fest in the paint.
  5. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Way too much hero ball, and that's exactly what this team goes to in the 4th quarter. 18 assists and 12 TOs is not going to win basketball games. Jorts help a little here. He moves to where he should move, and that gives us at least two people playing basketball together whenever he's in there.

Their four guards absolutely killed Jennings, KCP, and Stuckey. Just killed them.

Again, we couldn't hit free throws. This is the worst free throw shooting team I have ever seen.

Again, we couldn't defend the perimeter. It could have been worse. They shot 1-9 from three point land in the 1st half. Most of those 9 attempts were wide open. They came back to shoot 50% in the 2nd half. I watched Stuckey eat at least 4 three point shots, right in his face. He doesn't even contest shots. You can't let a team shoot 58% for the game and ever expect to win.

I stand in awe of this team's defensive incompetence.

Singler was just bad, and Dre didn't even show up. This would have been a perfect game to give JJ 20 minutes or so at the SF spot.

Stuckey didn't do a bad job running the point, but his offense suffers when he takes over at that spot. I don't mind him playing point, but we need his 20 points per 36 minutes in order to survive. This team will have a tough time winning if Stuckey is putting up a stat line like he did tonight.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

None of these guys other than KCP plays defense....and he even gets victimized by a smarter player one on one like he did with Eric Gordon on the last play in the Pelican loss.

No one ever contests any shots outside the paint, as the bigs dare the opponent to shoot and automatically turn to bucket looking for a rebound. I mean they barely throw a hand in the face of the shooter to distract them.

None of the Bigs can shoot with consistency around the hoop.

Agree with TaS that one of Drummond's faults is for every other offensive board he grabs for a put back is either a miss or a turnover....

If Smith is not practicing his long range jumper, his curl on the drive to the hoop or his hook is falling short.

Monroe is the best shooter among the starting bigs, but at least he is smart enough not to take a three, he just has issues finishing around the hoop..especially if he is under it.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I don't think it is fair to compare Josh Smith to Lebron James. It really isn't.

I agree that we need a first fiddle and Josh Smith needs to play glue guy. He would be the best Tayshaun Prince in the world, because he doesn't palm the ball for entire shot clocks, he just launches it.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What about signing up somebody like Gary Kasparov as GM?
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought blueadams was our new GM?
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Singler vs. Drummond: Singler gets zero offensive rebounds that Drummond would have in the same situation. Drummond puts back about 7 or them, out of the ten. The few that he does not put back are from among the occasions where he did not get the direct tap in, but instead brought the ball down. Result: Singler zero points off offensive rebounds. Drummond 14 points off offensive rebounds. I take Drummond, thanks.

On this same subject, in ancient Piston history, we once had the same issue with Rodman. At first, he would try often, in vain, to put the ball back in, even though he struggled mightily in doing so. In the end, he pretty much gave up and pulled the ball back out. Now, Drummond is not Rodman. He shows signs of getting it on putting the ball in around the basket. Indeed, in some recent games, we have seen him score right thru the opposing big on actual post up moves. He is showing progress. Leave him alone, let him figure this out.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did we play singler at center last night?
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How can Drummond lead the league in offensive rebounds and field-goal percentage while missing so many put backs?
    TaS likes this.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sorry for liking that... tapatalk error (don't get the wrong impression). It's because he'd be shooting 90% otherwise.

I don't blame him. When you're the garbage man, you gotta take yours sometimes.
  14. Laimbrane

Per game, Detroit allows more dunks (.059), hooks(.065), mid-range (.60), and 3-point shots (.50) per minute with Singler on and Drummond off than it does the other way around (.101, .127, 1.10, .77, respectively). They do allow slightly more lay-ups per minute, but because teams convert them at a much lower percentage, Detroit gives up more points per minute on lay-ups with Singler on/Drummond off.

In fact, Detroit gives up more points per minute on EVERY shot type with Drummond on/Singler off than the other way around or with them both on.

Interestingly enough, the rates of all of the shot types above (except 3-point shooting, which teams convert at about an 8% lower rate) are in the middle with both players on the court (.089, .07, .625, .442, respectively).

Long story short, Singler's defense isn't killing Drummond, Drummond's defense is killing Singler. Teams attack the basket more effectively with Singler off the court than with him on the court. I don't know what you're watching, Lee, but the numbers don't back you up AT ALL.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Drummond faces the other team's starters to start each game, and each start to a 2nd half. So its hardly apples to apples comparison. Also, could you do that study per the last 20 games or so, and see if anything has changed. Thanks in advance.
  16. Laimbrane

Nbawowy.com will allow you to do that if you wish to counter my argument with any sort of data.
  17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree. Especially now that I have figured out which one he is.
    linwood likes this.
  18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

One of the more functional starting lineups last year was Knight-Singler-Prince-Maxiell-Moose. These guys were supported by a bench of Bynum, Stuckey, JJ/Middleton, CV, Drummond.

Now Jennings is a marginal upgrade over Knight and Smith is a huge upgrade over Maxiell. I would say Pope is also an upgrade over Singler at the SG position. So, stick with the formula and then either slide Singler to the starting SF spot or put JJ in there. I would love to see

Jennings-Pope-Jerebko-Smith-Moose start with Bynum, Stuckey, Singler, Jorts, Drummond coming off the bench.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Jorts reminds me of Jerebko's rookie season.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jerebko seems to be pretty far for the starting lineup in Cheeks' mind. He's pretty much in the doghouse.