Darko Aka Ykw

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Sep 8, 2005.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

:usa: Armygirl here, Still weaving my way through the new forum. Darko appears to be earning his minutes playing for the Serbian team. How many of us really think that Darko will show improvement when he appears in training camp this fall? Will Flip build his confidence? Will he be motivated this year even if he is given 5-10 minutes off the bench?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's all up in the air armygirl. None of us know, but I am personally quite pleased that he has received that PT overseas under a tough coach and at a position with depth. It's great that he has acquitted himself well and seems to be showing some defensive dominance.

That's the thrill of next season. So many questions to be answered. And one of the biggest ones is Darko.

Btw, you don't have to do YKW anymore. We got #31 his own forum because he is just that darn topical!
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Army,

I think it depends on how they use DMC.
    If he plays two 5 minutes shifts he'll be ok... where I notice a big drop off (in the SL) is when he has to play a long shift.... He goes hard at first (sometimes chasing shadows).... then he's done.

I'm just hoping they stick to the minutes for at least 1/2 year so he can reach a comfort level... seems like most of his problems has to do with anxiety... we've never seen a relaxed Darko before.

What bothers me about the reports from Turkey/Greece is that Darko still has not shown much offensive consistency.... his points are mostly coming from rebounds and FT's... at least he's getting some boards.

IMO, 6pts... 3 rebs and good defense would be acceptable for 8-10 minutes.
  4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

the reports also talk about how the coach isn't happy about darko looking for his shot. so darko's scoring off rebounds and ft's is pretty good since they probably aren't running plays for him. he's also playing inconsistent minutes over in europe. i think darko will blossom with consistency of playing time.
  5. Ambidex

Ambidex Second Round Draft Pick

Oh come on!

All this talk about Darko, Flip, the team, etc. Makes me wish that the season would just get here already. I personally think that the short span time is a good idea to start. You know he's gonna try to impress Flip as soon as he touches the floor, and he's gonna give it all he's got. He might go too hard, but we will have to see
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

What you're probably referring to is a passage from an early game that mentions the writer's feelings, not the coach's. It's at www.jadransport.org/articles/1676.html:

The only quote I've seen from the coach indicates that he is happy with Darko's play. Definitely agree however that it's good for Darko to become productive at scoring off rebounds and aggressive drives.
  7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I'd be happy

I would dbe happy if Darko scored his points off rebounds and tip-ins, and also off lobs. I would also be happy if he was getting assists and rebounds as his main contribution for a while. It might indicate that he was getting comfortable playing his game and not out to impress the coach by scoring outside the offense.

There have been several players on the Pistons who did not have plays designed for them, including Dennis, and they got into the habit of working on all phases of their game.

I would be very happy to see Darko doing the same thing.
  8. punisher

punisher Second Round Draft Pick

just the contrary, I think Obradovic (Serbian coach) is very pleased with Milicic, his effort and his game...

the author of the piece on jadransport.org is way off base there. It is by no means really a credible source, and even more, it seems to me, jadransport.org was pretty fascinated detnews (or was it freep.com) picked up their recap....

Detnews.com on the other hand did not continue to follow on their reports and it should come as no surprise having in mind Dumars was covering Milicic. I can only imagine Dumars (and Darko's agents) looking the kid rejecting 9 shots against Slovenia and then reading the detroit press following up a recap done by a basically unknown (meaning unreliable) news service torching Darko apart for nothing....I can also imagine a few Joe's emails en route to Detroit press ;)
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

what's YKW stand for? i missed that on the detnews pistons talk section lol
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Due to the volume of posts about DMC and the fact that it was impossible to mention him in an objective or derogatory light without attracting a swarm of his most ardent supporters (many of whom are actually nice people like lazyberbs and bball jay) Darko was dubbed YKW. It worked for a couple of weeks. People didn't know what the term meant.

You Know Who.