Darko Arrested

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

bricalz and DOC

That kid is making millions of dollars. He can afford to pay the ticket more than most kids. He knows he has a responsibility to his teammates and the organization.

So what are you saying by "cut him some slack"? What have I done other than pointed out that it was IRRESPONSIBLE??? Do you disagree with that? Should we Ignore it? Laugh it off? Pretend it's ok to do that? I'm not going to cut him slack more than I would any other kid. If my kid was arrested for that I would say the same thing.

You mentioned the National guard ,not me. I said the team should get on his case. Something inherently wrong with that? You are twisting what I said and blowing it way out of proportion.

And btw...half the kids in the country are NOT arrested for not paying fines and DWOL, and do not have the responsibilities that go with making millions as an NBA player.

2. The DOC

The DOC Second Round Draft Pick

DarthTater - Didn't mean to ride you that hard. Just hate to see people jump all over someone for making a mistake. Yes it was a stupid mistake (especially considering he has tons of money), and if I was his dad I would give him a good yelling. Thats his dad's job. But you are not his dad (I don't think), and I'm guessing plenty of us have had a run in here or there, or could have but just got lucky.

Just don't try to say this "says something about his character" when he makes a stupid mistake. An idiotic mistake, but definitely a classic 19 year old mistake. The reality is he'll pay a $300 fine or something and it will be over. IMO hardly a character and life defining error.

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Looks like Darko finally showed his true colors. Let's face it, there are two type of people in the world...those that obey the law and those that think they are above the law. We don't need any Rodney White or Reuben Patterson types on this team. Do you folks that want to let Darko off easy think this isn't just the tip of the iceberg...it's a slippery slope.

He "forgot" to pay a ticket? How convenient. I guess Rodney White forgot he wasn't supposed to fire his gun?

4. Darth Tater

No, I am not his father. But I have a right to an opinion about what should be done, nevertheless. We all have opinions about what trades Dumars should make, yet we are not the general manager. Would I be the one to go up to Darko and talk to him about it? No, of course not.

And yes, it does go to character. Does it make him a bad or immoral person? No, that alone does not. It was one particular instance.

But if I'm hiring somebody for a job or something, yes...I will take something recent like that into consideration and factor it in with his character traits.

As for "life defining error"...where did I even insinuate that it was? It didn't happen two years ago. It just happened yesterday, and it does tell us something about his character as recently as yesterday. It tells me he thought he was above the law. He isn't. It wasn't a "mistake". He CHOSE not to pay the ticket and to drive on a suspended license.

We all talk about what a wonderful guy Joe Dumars is. How he has "great character". Well, it's an absence of stuff like what Darko did that makes Joe that way.

btw...You didn't "ride me hard". I didn't take anything you said personally, but I don't happen to agree with you.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Mistake

I got 5 tickets on one pull-over when I was 19, and I was a pretty good kid. Speeding, wreckless driving, passing in a no-passing zone, driving without lights at night, driving without a license. It sounds worse than it was. Basically, I passed a buddy at night without my lights on as a joke. Wasn't one of the best pranks I've ever pulled.

I think that people forget that "need for speed" instinct that you have when you are young. It has evolved to make young warriors fearless. Maybe Darko has that same instinct for rebounding and just hasn't showed us yet.

6. Darth Tater

lmao Bills, doggone it...you stole my thunder by two minutes!!! Bad Bills!!!

7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Dt

Absolutely, Darth, you're not Darko's father. Your LukeTater's father. Damn! I crack myself up. :laugh:

8. Darth Tater

lol!! It's funny I thought of something like that too when I wrote it. Yes, I am Luke spudwalkers daddy! :faint2:

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You guys are punny.

10. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Darko's arrest

Good points. He's case is all over the news because he's a public figure. Although he was irresponsible, it happens to a lot of kids (and adults:ohwell: ) in a daily basis. I don't see the big deal in this and he will learn from it.:nod:

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

New soap..."As Darko turns"
    Geesh, when does this damn season start anyways!?!

12. Darth Tater

I should have said "Cuke Spudwalker"

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Hate to have to go here, buuuuutttt..........LB said Darko is immature, Darko is 20, so more than likely....Darko is immature. This incident clearly shows that Darko is 20 yrs old, and guess what...... lemme tell ya sumthin' 'bout 20yr olds......They're Immature, no matter how smart, gifted, talented, or rich they are....ask Freamon Hendrix. When you'e 20 more likely than not you're not going to make the smartest decisions concerning life's matters. Come down to the UofM and I'll show you a whole slew of little rich 20 yr old kids that get their Land Rovers towed for not paying $10 parking tickets. This is the reason why I got so irked when people felt like LB totally disrespected DMC by calling him Immature, when Darko was 18, hell it was the truth.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

thots

Darvin was too busy popping Tylenols & changing the bandages on his noggin :P to be able to serve as Darko's taxi service...not that he would not have been willing... I'm just glad the backward 'Ernest & Julio Gallo' imprint finally went away! :)

Sterling Heights & Warren cops are notorious for the tinted-window pull-over, going way back to when I was in high school.

I wonder if Darko was on his way, to or from, JD's Fieldhouse? It's just 4 miles up the road.

He's 20...cut him a break for stupid, inconsequential screwups. We've all messed up as bad or worse at that age...

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He probably has handlers that are supposed to take care of mundane stuff like paying tickets, bills and grocery shopping.

While getting the tickets is "on him", I'm willing to bet that the tickets going unpaid are probably not something he would normally deal with anyway.

To bad this negative PR has to come out after a good showing. Let's hope he is focused for tonight's game and the media doesn't play this up too much.

16. The DOC

The DOC Second Round Draft Pick

Its already up on ESPN website. That didn't take too long. Hopefully he will have a decent performance again tonight and put this behind him. Assuming he learns his lesson - I'm assuming that his dad, being a police officer, chewed him out.

17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Bad PR

I was afraid that would happen. I think it's unfair since it's a pretty minor thing. I think Darko should be talked to, but he doesn't need any more negative attention thrown in his direction. Sigh.

18. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Wow, Darko got arrested?? Apparently he got pulled over for the tint and had to be taken in for having a suspended license. They do issue warrants for unpaid tickets, but not for having tint.

19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think this could lead to a lot of taunting in visiting arenas.

If Darko gets a 3 second call ..."Don't forget to pay your parking ticket this time"

Maybe my Darko jealousy is taking over.

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This is where Sheed and Lindsey are invaluable, they'll turn this whole thing into a big joke and have Darko laughing about it. The camaraderie on this team is just awesome. I can see Rip, Sheed, Lindsey and Chauncey ragging on him and then telling him in all seriousness not to sweat it, learn and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.