Darko/Arroyo or the pick?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Apr 19, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm not debating that he was a legit #2 pick. As written, I was excited when we drafted him. I believed the hype.

But 2 years from now he will be into his second contract, and whlie it may take that much time to validate his draft position, it was the right move for the franchise to move him.

The financial aspect of paying a guy a healthy salary and not getting production from him is big. I'm not saying it was entirely Darko's fault, but that's reality. If we had kept him, he would have become a very expensive bench player at the rate he was developing given the minutes we could provide.

Believe me, Darko is truly happier in Orlando. He gets to play, and he will get his chance to get paid. I hope he sends Joe Dumars a thank you card.
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

What about Sheed? Has got paid $11.5 million this year. Career lows in points per game, field goal percentage and career high in technicals.

DMC at this point is a better player than Sheed. I know it is hard for people to face that, but Sheed has worse head problems than DMC and is certainly one of the most overpaid players in all of pro basketball anywhere.

Of course many people will disagree with me, but $11.5 million this year for these results. The biggest heist by a player in pro basketball this year.

:hoops:
  3. roscoe36

Buddhafan, with all due respect and I do respect your bball knowledge, Darko doesn't live in the same area code as Sheed when it comes to court sense, man defense or teamwork.

Yes he is younger, yes he has more athleticism. But DMC does not have a go to move (like Sheed does), he does not have 3 point range (like Sheed does) and he doesn't have a lot of experience (like Sheed does).

One day, Darko will be better than Sheed, but that day has not yet come. Meanwhile, Joe Dumars didn't give Sheed $11 million to win regular season games or put up gaudy stats. He did it to give the franchise a shot at a title.
  4. max

max All-Star

Thanks. I heard it on some sports show that he was 23, thought that was kind of old.

Anyway. The DMC pick did scare a lot of GM's away from selecting Euro players with no experience so high. Of course there is the age restriction now.
  5. buddahfan

I hope you are right.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I see Milicic as purposefully trying to have a stoic demeanor... ala Duncan, or Oden. With Orlando, he seems to always be doing the dirty work, helping on D, tipping rebounds out, etc... not the actions of a dispassionate player. But there is also a huge unselfishness to him, which adds to this. He never chases stats and seems to get as much enjoyment from passing the ball as scoring. In that respect, he is very Sheed-like. This characteristic was why he felt so self conscious playing garbage time bball for Detroit. He thought he was better than that, and he protested by not going out there and looking to show off.

But the dude does have a short fuse (remember Mutumbo?). There have been a couple examples of Darko's temper this year. The latest was when he was about .5 seconds away from strangling a ref and got hauled to the locker room by some teammates.
  7. buddahfan

That ref wouldn't have been Joey Crawford by any chance? Then DMC would really be Duncan like. LOL

8. roscoe36

Buddhafan, sheed is on fire.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Be glad we don't need to see Sheed dominate a game, means we are one diminsional. But I would like to see him go 15 for 30 and 10 boards a couple times a year, just so I know he can.
  10. buddahfan

DMC will put up another double double before Sheed does.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Darko was 14 and 7 yesterday. In 27 minutes.
    I don't even remember what Sheed did. Except 3 for 5 from 3.
  12. roscoe36

Let me enlighten y'all.

Sheed was +14. Darko? +5.

Sheed made 3 treys. Darko still has yet to hit an NBA trey.

Sheed had a steal, an assist and no turns. He also had 6 boards.

Darko had an assist, a turn and 4 boards.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"Sheed made 3 treys. Darko still has yet to hit an NBA trey."
    So Darko IS the better post player!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

Yesterday, with Howard and Milicic both playing down low, it was hard for the Pistons to drive, or even get the 12 foot jumper, as both of their young centers are very quick to cover.

Sheed's 3 point shooting really forced the cover and opened up the floor. Generally, I haven't been a fan of the big guys playing outside the arc, but I really saw the benefits in yesterday's game.
  15. roscoe36

Maybe. Darko still doesn't have a go to, money move like Sheed does on the low block.

Remember when everyone thought Darko was gunna be like Dirk? When Larry Brown was satan for playing him in the post?

Well, DMC doesn't shoot or make threes, and if you want to give Darko props for being a low post player, pucker up and kiss Larry's keister, because Flip Saunders and Brian Hill haven't taught him squat.
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Very good point... by not having their bigs planted in the paint they are also more likely to commit fouls.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I don't know what anybodies taught Darko and Larry Brown and bigs are like oil and water. LB didn't do squat either. Wait til BBJ reads that.
    -------
    "When Larry Brown was satan for playing him in the post?"
    Sure Darko wanted to bring the ball up some.
    No I don't remember any conflict about that. That's where he was supposed to be. Darko would attack anybody with the ball. Maybe he reigned him I a little.
  18. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I have'nt read all the pages, but the original thought that this was a bad pick by JD I can't agree with. I have to put it on LB's way of utilizing his players and not getting who Joe gave him in the regular season some training. As for the original post, I feel that we did do alright, maybe even up for the #2 overall pick. Big difference is the money given in the NBA and the NFL at those spots.
    Joe's ability to spot excellent players is superb. I trust him over any other GM in the league. Fun is who is the player?
  19. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

You have to remember that Sheed is not the go to man on this ball club. In Portland he was the leading scorer. Sheed on most nights is the third scoring option behind Rip and Chauncey on the Pistons.The only problem I have with Sheed is that he floats around the three point line a little too much and doesn't want to work in the post and take the physical punishment.

Darko is still lost on the court and doesn't have a high basketball IQ. He has gotten better, but, he is no where near the player Sheed is. As far as Sheed being over paid.Who isn't? But, he is not the most over paid I could point out 3 or 4 players on the New York Knick team that don't even suit up most nights that are grossly over paid to sit on the bench and be cheerleaders.
  20. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

It will probably come as no surprise but I don't give LB props for one single thing except driving Darko away. Sheed, Ben, Dwight and Brian have had the most to do with developing him down low. LB may have taught him a few things but never giving him PT did not allow him to validate what he learned. Like it or not, Orlando is dong that, anyway. :stirthepot: .

But about the Dirk thing. Darko's agent has been saying that the money is not the most important thing in where he plays next. It is whether the team will utilize his skill set. The reason Darko quit shooting outside shots is that he was forbidden to. When he shot one, his PT was over. Many posters on the Magic boards including me say that while it is good that he is being developed as a strong player down low, it is a complete waste of his talents to use him that way exclusively.

And that is not just for DMC's sake. People have said in the last couple of postings here how it opened the floor when Sheed went outside. Well, it would give Dwight more shots inside if DMC went outside once in a while, as well.

Darko has been saying for half of the season that the money is not that important. It is being allowed to help the team. When Orlando understands that, things will get better for them.

And as for the starting slot, I still believe that DMC comes off the bench to lead the second unit because Battie would not be a difference-maker in that slot. What has pi$$ed me is that they were implying that Darko has not earned it. And that is a load of (well, you know).