Darko/Arroyo or the pick?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Apr 19, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

lurker, that Code Blue research was solid gold. :thumb:

DBB actually added it to the post once I emailed it around. :)

And N4S linked to it in their postgame wrap from Game 1. :)
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Good one. I'd heard variations on that, but this is the most richly detailed one I've seen. :pound:

Actually my mom did once hear about a parrot who spoke Hebrew--someone she knew was visiting some fellow Israelis in America, and when he woke up in the morning, he was surprised to see that the couple who was hosting him looked like nothing was wrong, because he had heard them screaming at each other in Hebrew all night long. Then he realized it was actually their parrot that he had heard!
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Big parrots actually pick up any language pretty good. Any sounds for that matter. We were visiting our friends in NY and all of a sudden we hear the doorbell ring and the hostess would ask "who's there?". We knew very well that she was at work and it seemed strange at the beginning until we realized that it was the bird making the sounds and responding to them.
  4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

darko was nba ready. he had a crapload of talent right from the start. he had the jumper, passing and shotblocking right from the start. never draft a #2 pick overall and your coach isn't development minded should be the rule.
    he still hasn't got a oppurtunity yet. no coach has unleashed darko to play his game. darko is doing pretty good considering he's playing in a style that isn't his natural style.
    darko is more than size that's why he was picked # 2. he was size with a great jumper, passing ability and most of all quickness. darko would still be a lottery pick this year. a college player is only proven in the college game. a euro player is only proven in the euro game. there is no such thing as nba proven until they start playing in the nba.
    the worst thing that happened was we lost ben and darko instead of either or. nazr was never supposed to be in the picture. this is all just mismanagement. in my opinion i'd rather have darko over ben and nazr at this point in all careers.
    darko isn't a center. the pistons don't develop anybody. the darko situation is really what made the pistons start taking development seriously.
  5. roscoe36

The Pistons are developing Maxiell, Johnson and Delfino. I would hesitate to say they "do not develop anyone".

They just do it really slowly. :rofl:

If you're planning to get a major deal when your rookie contract is up, this isn't the team for you.
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

@bballjay
    I'd say Darko is a center. He realized that he can dominate in this league at this position since many teams play small- ball. Or how many teams out there are capable of defending a 7 footer with a nice shooting touch and solid post moves?
  7. Rip 32

Rip 32 First Round Draft Pick

I tottttally agree we got the better ebd of the trade but i just think heri in detroit we dont have playing tiime for milicic and arroyo is to stuck up and to offensive minded he focuse to much on getting stats for himself we definately got the better end of the trade
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

i think you are selling darko a bit short. he has progressed along quite nicley and is developing into a fine player. i don't think he would have been able to do this if he had not benefited from the tough love style coaching of larry brown who mentored him when he first came into the league.
  9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

LB did not mentor Darko, he mocked him. That's not coaching that's being a bully. Also, another reason he was fired in New York, Isaiah did not like the way LB treated Channing Frye and David Lee.

Darko did learn a lot in Detroit, but the credit goes to Ben and Sheed. If you watch Darko playing Sheed, it's like watching Luke Skywalker take on Darth Vader for the first time. Sheed is Darko's father.
  10. roscoe36

The stamina of the Darko conversation is amazing.

Do any of the other long time fans wonder what if the William Bedford conversation would have had the same endurance had the internet been around 10 years earlier?
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I thought Bedford had drug problems, which might have made for a different sort of conversation.

But maybe Lance Blanks would have been analagous to Will Blalock. :laugh:
  12. basketbills

that's an interesting point micro. bedford had (supposedly) a boatload of talent but didn't give a crap...so there are some parallels with darko. maybe it could be argued that poor coaching was responsible for bedford's struggle with drugs? the poor guy wasn't used fairly, and it caused him a lot of anguish and he turned to drugs as a way to handle the pain?

i can see that argument happening.
  13. roscoe36

Indeed there are some parallels because some feel that the Pistons held on to Willie B long past they should have, and it ended up hurting the Pistons because they invested so much time, money and patience into a player who never matured into the 6th round pick the Suns spent on him.

How crazy would it be for people to condemn Chuck Daly for the development of Bedford? It's really no different than the flack that Brown and Saunders had to endure. It seems no matter how well you coach or how much you win, if you don't start Darko, you're just a big dummy.
  14. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Now you're getting it, roscoe. :gun1: :pound: :pound: :pound:
  15. basketbills

I think Eli Zarett said something last night about Darko being heavily crticized during his time as a Piston for being a "malingerer"....I was thinking Eli must have spent some time scanning the forums.
  16. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Roscoe:

Would you like to be a little clearer on how you real feel about our beloved DMC? Thanks. LOL

DMC and William Bedford comparison. That is funny. William Bedford had 10X the talent of DMC. LOL

:hoops:
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

no question, our pick + cap space = we got the better end of the deal.
  18. bball jay

do you think it's smarter to just kick and starve your dog repeatedly to make him a tough and a fighter??? i'd take a trained attack dog over that method any day. abuse is no way to mentor.

darko benefited from his time here in detroit but it wasn't because of lb. look at the way sheed/ mahorn/ mcdyess/ dale davis are mentoring amir and jmax. darko has also regressed in many ways. his jumper isn't as good, he's slower, his confidence is lower. i think he could have been taught how to do a baby hook shot without doing all of those lb side effects.
  19. bball jay

i think orlando gets the better of the deal. it already cost the pistons a championship. chauncey was tired and ben lost his mind. we sure could have used arroyo and darko to help off the bench.

the bigger issue is darko and arroyo would give joe bargaining leverage with ben and chauncey. joe doesn't have a leg to stand on when chauncey demands a max deal.
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

Actually, starvation and abuse is a time tested method to make dogs tough fighters. I'm not advocating it, I'm just sayin...