Darko expert licensing exam

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Oct 20, 2006.

?

Darko will exceed which of the following benchmarks by the All-Star game

Poll closed Oct 31, 2006.
  1. 16 points/ 40 min

36.1%
  2. 12 rebounds/ 40 min

19.4%
  3. 1.75 assists/ 40 min

55.6%
  4. 2.25 blocks/ 40 min

63.9%
  5. 0.75 steals/ 40 min

25.0%
  6. None of the above

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

except being able to check large centers. ben's defense is so complete he stops his own team from scoring also.

mentored by sheed, dice and elden maybe. ben started to resent darko. i assume this started when ben started getting owned in practice and his contract wasn't renegotiated. the writing was on the wall for him that's why he pushed for darko's minutes to drop.

your posts are also meaningless because the only players you feel valid to compare darko to are all stars. when darko has played less minutes than last years middle of the first round pick in 4 years of nba action.

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

False.

I've compared him to the Dalemberts, Chris Wilcoxs, Biedrins, Kamans, Bynums, Aldridges of the world. Remember the whole there's a ton of players given the same amount of minutes as Darko that perform at a higher clip arguement? Sure you do, just doesn't support your arguement, right? Selective memory, Darko-colored glasses and inability to admit when you are at fault continuosly hamper your credibility.

The other comments aren't worth addressing as you didn't refute them. You just went on a Ben Wallace's weaknesses rant.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Answer= The Magic.

They aren't getting out-rebounded when Dwight is out of the game. And you want to give credit to someone other than their 2nd highest rebounder?

When Dwight is in, they get 51.5% of the boards. When he's out, they get 51.2%. Also, when he is in, they get outscored by 1.1 points and when he is out, they outscore the opponent by 7.1 per 100 possessions.

I don't think I've presented any argument here. Just stating the facts.

4. MotownPride

Battie averages 5.2 rebounds a game with Dwight in the game.

Darko averages 5.2 rebounds a game with no other dominant rebounder in the game.

Your arguement seems to support Battie more than Darko.

What am I missing here?

What's your excuse as to why Darko isn't able to grab more rebounds?

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

OK, there are two things to consider here. First, Battie does play slightly more minutes than Darko.

Secondly, do you know how many minutes Darko has played with Howard and how many minutes Battie has played with Howard? I'm assuming you guessed when you said that Darko plays most of his minutes without Howard.

This year Howard has 1,821 minutes on the court and 631 off. Darko has 1,155 on and 1,297 off.

So, let's assume that Darko has played every single minute when Dwight has been on the bench so that we can see the minimum number of minutes they've played together this year. That still leaves 524 minutes for Darko, when Howard MUST have been on the court with him. That means that Darko has played with Howard at least 45% of the time.

In reality, since there has been times with neither player out there, it is probably closer to 50%. If you look at the top 5 man combos that involve Darko, the top 4 of them have Howard. 7 out of the top 10 have Howard.

Typically, Battie plays with Howard in the 1st quarter and Darko plays with him in the 4th. The 2nd and 3rd are mixed.

6. bball jay

you've only compared them in certain aspects like rebounding or points. never as a complete player. never look at the impact the guys have in games. because it doesn't fit your argument.

or basically you can't refute them. and it causes pain in your heart to admit that ben is a role player under your definition.

7. bball jay

off topic but.

lb sucks. i just watched the san antonio game. everyone thought i was crazy when i said he should have put darko in to defend duncan for three minutes. yeah but darko had to earn it. i'm glad lb taught him that lesson.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

When someone does not actually watch the games, it is easy to get the meaning of the stats all wrong. There is a vast difference between Darko and Battie. Darko is far far quicker. Darko is found constantly out on the perimeter while Battie never ventures out there. You are talking about two players with very different roles.

9. MotownPride

For the love of God, noone is saying Battie is better than Darko, jeesh! I'm terminating this conversation. Dude, you are so out of it. If you read earlier you would see that I live in Tampa, FL where Orlando games are televised here on the regular. I am one of few in this debate who have actually gone to see the Magic with Darko closeup.

10. MotownPride

You're all over the place as usual and have nothing to back your claims. Why continue to jump off topic with you everytime you run into a wall? Nice try.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

TaShawn, please let me know when your competition is finished.

12. MotownPride

Honestly Tashawn I based that on an analysis that was done in one of the previous threads/posts...I can't even remember when at this point. If the statistic has changed, then I must've missed that. I'll happily conceed that point.

I'm guessing this is an attempt to explain to me why Darko's rebounding numbers are so poor. If it is, I still don't get it. If the point is to say that since noone on Orlando rebounds except for Battie/Howard/Darko, then by definition that means that Darko isn't that bad of a rebounder. I disagree. I really don't see the connection.

In the games that I've seen of Darko (which are many by the way contrary to what's been said). His problem has less to do with being paired with a dominant rebounder and more to do with boxing out ineffectively, mediocre rebounding instincts (Rodman is the master of this) and getting out of position from attempting to swat everything that comes near the basket. The thought that being paired with a dominant rebounder does not allow another player to boast strong numbers has been proven eroneous already. There are many examples of players on the same team that average close to/over 10 boards a game. Honestly, I think you're just grasping for straws here.

Do you really think Darko is a good rebounder?

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

By your comments, I would gather you don't watch too carefully or all that often. Me, I watch every bit of every Orlando game. Out of it, thats your opinion. If you care to get back on the debate about basketball, I wonder if you notice the countless times Darko flies out to the perimeter to bother shots, something that neither Howard nor Battie do. If someone else was doing this good defensive rotating, sure, Darko could spend more time around the basket boxing out and collecting bounds. You can't do everything. To your question about if Darko is a good rebounder-absolutely if that is what he is putting his mind to.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not trying to explain why he is a bad rebounder. I'm explaining that he is decent. You just need to see what others are doing to put it in its proper perspective.

Dyess, our 6th starter, averages 5.8 rebounds and 6.3 points off the bench in a little over 20 minutes.

Darko, our former 15th man, averages 5.2 rebounds and 7.9 points off the bench in 22 minutes.

Alonzo Mourning gets 23 minutes off the bench in Miami and only grabs 5.5 boards.

Nene, 22 minutes, 6 boards.

Who gets significantly more rebounds in the NBA in only 20 minutes? Mutumbo gets 7 in only 18 mins and that was the best I could find.

There are only 13 players in the entire league that average double digits in this category and they play on average 35 minutes per game.

Could he rebound better? Sure. I don't really see an area of his game that he couldn't stand to improve on.

15. MotownPride

I see your point Tashawn. Obviously I'm dealing with old data if that's the case. Too lazy right now to relook it up. I stand corrected.

16. MotownPride

Whatever dude. Ever heard of Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mutombo, Hakeem Oljauwan? How about Biedrins and Dalembert? Its possible.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ben Wallace could block shots, and still get back for the rebounds. That is different from what Darko constantly does, fly out after 3 point shooters. As a true sized center, what Darko does on defense is truly unique. All I can say from here is watch more Orlando games.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If I were to criticize Darko, it would have to be for his FG%. For a guy that shoots so many shots in the paint, he should be closer to the 50% mark. He's shooting a terrible percentage on his jumpshots, like < 30%, and his free throw % is whack for having nice form.

He misses a lot of close range shots because he doesn't dunk them. And he actually gets his shots blocked a lot for being such a good shot blocker himself.

19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I didn't know where else to post this but I managed to get a ticket for the Piston-Magic game on the 21st. I will be in section 221. Does anybody know if that is a good section? I believe it is in the upper deck on one of the corners at the end of the Piston bench. I will definitely bring my binocs. I couldn't bring up the seating chart on my computer for some reason.

I will bring my Darko Swatter with me. A friend from the Magic PR department sent it to me. It is a promo that they gave away at one of the recent games.

20. MotownPride

If its on the lower part of the upper deck it should be pretty decent. I'll probably be there as well. Maybe we can meet up and have a Darko arguement in person. lol.