Darko expert licensing exam

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Oct 20, 2006.

?

Darko will exceed which of the following benchmarks by the All-Star game

Poll closed Oct 31, 2006.
  1. 16 points/ 40 min

36.1%
  2. 12 rebounds/ 40 min

19.4%
  3. 1.75 assists/ 40 min

55.6%
  4. 2.25 blocks/ 40 min

63.9%
  5. 0.75 steals/ 40 min

25.0%
  6. None of the above

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Let us know who wins. The game within the game.

Mo, you better take a weapon too. Maybe a bust of darko.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Darko bust. LOL. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
  3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Since Battie is out with an injury, Darko has averaged 10 ppg on 48% shooting, 7 rebounds and 2.7blkpg in 31 minutes of action. I'd take that over Nazr on any given day.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes, but would you take it over CWebb?

Darko hopes to get starter money next year. That will entail starting a lot of games.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hey, come on, Nazr hasn't missed a shot in 5 games. No turnovers either.

During that period, he has only earned about $300,000, so no big deal.
  6. roscoe36

Nazr wasn't selected over Melo, Wade, Bosh et al.

Nazr isn't going to get a qualifying offer of $6.8 million before free agency starts.

Nazr has scored 20 points or more in a game 20 times.

Nazr once scored 30 points. Oh wait, he did it twice.

Don't make me count up his double doubles. This is cutting into happy hour at chez micro.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree, let's use the man. We're paying him, and he wants to work.

He or Davis should be getting > 10 minutes each and every night.

They can both rebound. Naz can shoot and Davis can play D.

... unless we are trying to keep him healthy for a trade. If that is the case, then that would explain his good attitude on the bench.
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

Over CWebb? This season, probably no. Long term, yes. Besides, JoeD gut CWebb by luck. He didn't know that he'd be available when he signed Nazr.
    I doubt Darko will get that much- there are crazy and bad GM's out there, but he hasn't shown enough to get the really big money. I'm not good at these GM- stuff, but I doubt Darko will earn far more money than Nazr.
    Given the cap- situation, was it really impossible to keep Darko instead of Nazr and resign him and CB?
  9. roscoe36

In order for Orlando to retain DMC's rights when he goes into free agency, they will have to offer him a 1 year contract of $6.8 million (or thereabouts).

Nazr is making less than $6 million this year.

I can't speak for the parties involved, but Darko's agent will likely be angling for a longterm deal starting at $7+ million and with the full season to season raises allowed. You cannot pay a guy that much money and not start him.

The question becomes, Nazr obviously was not good enough to be a starter on this Pistons team that wants to be a contender. Would Darko make us a contender this season? Would he make us a contender next season?

So much water under the bridge. I'm curious to see how much energy and effort DMC brings after this next contract is signed. Right now, he's playing for a massive payday.
  10. max

max All-Star

You guys have to look at similiar past situations like Chandler. He got about 10mil/per pretty much based on the fact that he was 7' with potential.

Someone out there is going to offer Darko something close to 10mil/yr. Not sure if he will live up to it, probably won't. Never stopped GM's in the past.
  11. TWOTIMESRALPHI

So Darko is more expensive than Nazr- good, the price difference can be explained by his youth. With Nazr, you know what you're getting- a solid big that can give you decent effort in about 25mpg.
    With Darko, you get hope- hope that he becomes a dominant big man.
    I wouldn't go that far to say that the Pistons would have been a better team with Darko starting instead of Nazr- but they'd have been surely just as good as the Pistons without CWebb were. Don't forget this team wasn't playing good and profited from the extremely weak eastern conference.
    It will be quite interesting to see how many bucks DM is going to get- maybe the Hawks will give him his big paycheck. I remember Darko had one fine game at the end of his 2nd season and after that, they even wanted to trade him for Al Harrington. I can't speak for the parties involved, but Darko's agent will likely be angling for a longterm deal starting at $7+ million and with the full season to season raises allowed.
  12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

when darko finishes the season as a piston we go to the finals. i don't think it would be any different this year. i think darko would make us a contender this year. he's super quick and long so he would be great in the zone. he's a low post threat and a great passer. he could play a very similar role to webber. darko has only scratched the surface he's still the 4th or 5th option on the team. his block total would only increase being paired next to rasheed,jmax, dice, davis and tay.

honestly i think we can make it to the finals with nazr and dale davis.

i don't think darko has his contract on his mind. he's totally unselfish when he plays. darko is all about winning. he looks for dwight more than the guards do in general.
  13. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:lol:

Thanks for that.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

In the same minutes, Nazr averages 11.7ppg on 55% shooting, 9.7 rebounds and 1.8 blkpg. These figures are slightly watered down by his recent garbage time appearances, where the above mentioned games are only the Darko starts in place of Battie averages.

However, if you read this forum, you would think that Nazr is the worst Piston since Micheal Curry, and Darko is better than Ben and Rasheed Wallace. I just don't understand. :confused:

Why does Nazr get :swear2: :hanged2: while non-Piston Darko gets :cheerleader::inlove:?

Seems to me that both of these guys are somewhat average roleplayers, who both happen to be very tall.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Last year at this time, most here would not have categorized Darko as an average role player. Last year he was considered an embarrassing liability. This year he is an average role player. If this trend continues, look out.

Meanwhile, Nazr started 59 games for a team that won the Championship in 2005. Now, he's turning the ball over in garbage time after being replaced by a 34 year old. If this trend continues, he'll be traded to Minnesota for a Serbian named Marko.
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

So I should be excited because Darko is a much bigger under achiever?

This arguement looks alot like the familiar "potential" debate. Add Darko to the long list of guys with amazing skills just waiting to blossom or find their spot. In the interim, give them money that would take most people a lifetime to earn, and forgive them for being incompetent.

Nazr gave the Pistons exactly what most people thought we needed. A center who could make a 10 foot jumpshot and hit some freethrows. Now he has been completely thrown under the bus, while the underachieving former Piston has legions of adoring fans ready to make any excuse for his mediocre performance. I just don't get it.

I'm not arguing that Nazr is good, just that there is a serious double standard at work here.
  17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

Problem is that Nazr is too foul- prone to ever play 31mpg on a constant basis :)
    Nazr is fine, I still don't get it why he seems to be out of the rotation completely- it's just that you know what you get, while for Darko, you still can't say he can't get any better than he is already (and for now, he's an average role player, that's true) since this is the first season he actually plays.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Problem is Mohammed plays zero help out D. Absolutely not needed on our roster. Big mistake by Dumars to sign the guy. Mind you, I thought at least we could use the guy as trade fodder, thinking from the beginning he was a bad fit. But I did not realize just how bad Mohammed was.
  19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

All I know about this is that Sheed is smiling these days playing along side C-Webb and we all know how miserable Sheed was playing along side Nazr. If Sheed is happy he plays well. When he plays well the Pistons play even better and that adds to my smile.

:hoops: :hoops::hoops:
  20. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

it's because you don't understand potential. darko is on the way up nazr is supposed to be at a certain level. nazr has played years in the league and doesn't command a double team like darko. nazr doesn't make his teammates better like darko does. nazr doesn't intimidate on the defensive end like darko. nazr plays with an mvp type point guard darko plays with black hole point guards.

darko's role is changing from role player to prominent part of the magic. he will be co-star with d.howard very soon. honestly he's kinda outplayed dwight a couple of times in the last few games.