Darko expert licensing exam

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Oct 20, 2006.

?

Darko will exceed which of the following benchmarks by the All-Star game

Poll closed Oct 31, 2006.
  1. 16 points/ 40 min

36.1%
  2. 12 rebounds/ 40 min

19.4%
  3. 1.75 assists/ 40 min

55.6%
  4. 2.25 blocks/ 40 min

63.9%
  5. 0.75 steals/ 40 min

25.0%
  6. None of the above

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah. after about 70 games of nba experience we can see all that darko is going to be.

dude darko is simply being misused in orlando. he's being used in orlando more than he was in detroit but he's still being misused. he isn't being played with d. howard. he isn't the primary focus of the offense. his guards have no idea how to get thier big men shots. you probably won't see the full darko experience until he goes elsewhere in free agency or d. howard goes down with an injury. b. hill is being very cautious with how much he plays darko over battie but it already clear who is the better player and who is better for the team.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

In fairness, Darko looked good against the Lake show.... he's gonna be a brut down low as he continues his development.... don't have to be a slappy to see the kid still has untapped potential.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

When evaluating Darko's development, many neglect to mention that he studied under one of the best teachers in the game, Larry Brown. Played against some of the best defensive centers in the game in practice (Sheed, Campbell, B. Wallace). So he's had some time to match his game against NBA calibur competition. Other young players did not have that luxury. The Darko show is a boring show. Let's face it. I'm sick of excuses. Excuses follow this guy around. Everyone is out to ruin poor Darko's career. Still yet to see the definitive breakout game from this guy in a league where almost everyone is going off for big numbers these days. Even a "past his prime" Ben Wallace has erupted for some amazing numbers this year. There is no defense for the arguement that given similiar minutes a plethora of other players in the league have produced better numbers. Darko is the Michael Curry of bench players. If he gets a big contract next year, the GM who pulls the trigger needs to be shot. There is alot of great youth in the league these days and grabbing a player who can't push Battie away from the center position would not be on my list.

And he sucks at free throws. Just thought I'd mention that.

4. MotownPride

Can you name a player in the NBA who can't boast that they've looked good against another team this season. Consistency is key, Merc.

5. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

After this much of the season and having watched most of their games, I do see consistency in Darko and a very definite improvement on that habit he had of wandering around and looking lost.

Game after game, he is doing something to help most all the time. Like last night, in the second half, he got a pass just inside the 3pt line and swished it. Right after that he took a pass at just about the same place and drove to the hoop and made the basket with a lefty hook. Very nice.

I had to talk to my guests a little bit and when my attention focused back on the screen, he was out of the game, never to return.

He is so clearly outplaying Battie that quite a few of the holdouts on the Magic forums are wanting him to start. The only reason to keep him on the second unit is that he give them a good lift, but like last night, his time was cut. People said it was because the Wizzers went small.

I guess the coaches do not feel that the Magic players can control the tempo so they surrender to the opponents and play small ball.

Darko does not challenge quite so many shots now. I believe he is keepiong his PFs under control that way. Still gets a block or two most games.

Because of the early success, people did not want to disturb thngs by starting Darko but now, clearly, something needs to be done. Remember, if they fall too low, the Pistons won't get the Magic's draft pick.:stirthepot:

The idea they werre espousing when DMC first got there was that high-low post combo with D-12. It would be good if they actually did some of that because Dwight's play has been hampered for quite a few games now by the defenders collapsing on him and tieing him up.

They could not even beat the Wizzers last night with Hedo throwing in 5 threes. So, trying to compete with them playing small ball didn't work either.

Yesterday was a rough day. Both my teams lost by one point.:ohwell: :frusty: :hanged2:

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'll give you that... DMC has hardly been consistent... similar to most young players with little game experience (can't believe i'm defending him)... Bynum is a young beast ... DMC made things tough on him
    My guess is DMC will pan out to be somewhere between the DHOFer's opinions and Motown's.. a servicable big that can defend and get you some post points....yet falls asleep at the wheel sometimes... not that we could use that or anything.

7. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

That's far from what I've been expecting. The last thing Darko should turn into with the amount of attention (along with pressure) is another Rasho Nesterovic.

One of the largest reasons why he's lost is because he's expecting something to happen: a play in the post, a pick and roll - something revolving around him. But he's not a focal point in the offence, that's the thing - he's got at least 2-3 other people ahead of him who deserve touches.

When he's posting up (from the games I've seen from him this year), his teammates are camping out on the perimeter for the kick out, or boxing out on the weak side for the rebound if he misses. In the end he ends up bumbling the ball cause he can't see the double team in time and he turns it over. Not a good way of developing his offensive awareness.

Ideally: the perfect play I could think that Orlando could do is a high-low like lazyberbs said earlier. Feed the post to Dwight, demand the double team, set a screen for Darko to come off and feed him while he's cutting down so he can throw it down or get fouled in the act.

8. bball jay

he also threw up a double donut. i thought consistency was key.

the gm that traded him away for peanuts needs to be shot.

so does your boy. at least darko hits the rim when he shoots his. at least teams don't use fouling him as thier whole strategy to stop the other team. at least when darko gets fouled it's to stop a shot instead of a cheap way to get a free turnover.

darko doesn't shoot enough times to get his free throw percentage up. if you only shoot 1 or 2 per game it's hard to get the percentage up. if he was shooting 6 or 8 a game he would shoot 75%.

9. MotownPride

Actually he's had alot of good games this year. He's the anti-Darko as Ben has had some off nights but mostly good statistical showings. Darko has had some decent nights but mostly mediocre showings.

Well, I wouldn't shoot Joe Dumars, but I agree with your point. Still doesn't take away from mine though. Thanks.

Never said Ben was good. It was you who pointed out how good of a free throw shooter Darko was. That's why I mentioned it. lol. You've just forgotten again because it doesn't support your Darko is the chosen one arguement.

So Darko doesn't draw fouls, isn't that his problem? ..and if you don't get many free throw attempts, you would think it would be easier to bump up your pct. just by making a series of free throws. Come on, bball jay, you have no proof of what Darko could do with those attempts so that just sounds like another round of man-love to me.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Whoa... this is supposed to be an impartial take on the young Serb... there doesn't have to be a right & left wing... to answer Rdang... Rasho is a complete stiff on defense... that ain't Darko... the offensive output is similar with room for improvement.
    Yes he still fumbles inlet passes and throws the ball away... at the same time he pushes his man back for easy looks... he is not a wimp... just a confused young kid trying to find his niche amongst proven (and selfish) players.
    He is not some athletic freak that some would have you believe... and he still plays stiff (typical of Euros)... but he is mobile and fairly agressive til he runs out of gas (which doesn't take long)...
    this is not a pro or con opinion... somewhere in between.

11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Really? Nesterovic is a well above-average low post defender and a very smart team defender. I'd agree with anything you say about his softness, but, like Dale Davis, he's rarely out of place. Darko still tries to block everything except his man from interior positioning.

Today I would rather have Rasho on my team than Darko. And considering Rasho's plodding unathleticism, allergy to rebounding, disgustingly weak offensive game, and complete lack of competitive drive, that says more about Darko than it does about Rasho.

12. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Let's not forget Rasho's more consistent baseline jumpshot. Its the only shot he takes where I don't scream and throw things at the t.v. screen.

13. bball jay

he's also had more oppurtunity than darko. when darko plays well it doesn't get him more oppurtunity. he is however even in his inconsistency outplaying the starter. so when your bench players off night in 16 minutes is better than the starter he should be getting more oppurtunity.

i wouldn't shoot the gm that throws millions at darko. he's a smart gm.

darko is a good free throw shooter. 3 seconds left in the game down by 1 who do you send to the free throw line darko or ben?? just like a few years ago when dice was missing lots of free throws because he wasn't getting a lot of attempts. his free throw shooting improved as his attempts went up because he is a good free throw shooter. bens percentage didn't go up when he got more attempts.

darko doesn't get enough shot attempts to draw fouls. he only shoots like 6 times a game. and 2 of those are probably off offensive boards.

14. bball jay

actually it says more about your inability to judge talent than it says about darko.

is that why darko absolutely own rasho in head to head meetings??

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't get why you have to dumb down posts to defend Darko. ahb actually agreed with much of what you wrote, and then you take a cheap shot at his knowledge.

I agree completely with ahb's post about Rasho. I don't watch Darko every single game. He's about as interesting to me as Chris Wilcox or John Salmons. All I care about is the Magic continuing to tank their season so we get a great pick.

16. MotownPride

Bballjay, everytime I asked you to produce Mr. Snufalufagus, he never shows up Big Bird. You live in the land of imaginary potential and excuses. The only thing that is obvious is that if Darko averaged 8 pts, 5 brds, 1 assist and 2 blocks for his entire career..you'd argue that he was never given a chance. You were gushing about Orlando before they stopped playing Darko too. My suspicion is that if you replaced any other player with Darko's current performance you would be far less enthusiastic.

So to put this in plain English for you...

You can't convince me that Darko is a good free throw shooter when he shoots a horrible free throw percentage.

You can't convince me that Darko is a good rebounder when he hasn't put together one dominanting rebounding performance.

You can't convince me that Darko is a great scorer when he has yet to have a dominate scoring performance.

You can't convince me that Darko is a great playmaker when he has yet to have a dominate assist game.

The only thing you can prove to me is that he is a great shotblocker and that he plays pretty good man to man defense.

This makes him a situational player in my opinion. That's all he's proven...everything else is speculation and wishful thinking.

17. bball jay

i disagree. he didn't agree with much of what i said. he said he would rather take rasho who he himself said was plodding, allergic to rebounding, weak offensive game, no competitive drive over darko. i think that's a shot at darko. i stand by my statement that it shows his inability to judge talent if he would choose that over darko.

if you watched darko more you wouldn't be agreeing about taking rasho over darko. if you are interested in magic continuing to tank the season you should be happy that darko is being misused. i'm more upset at the pistons continued misuse and waste of young talent. darko is the ultimate example of that. that is why he will always be relevant to me.

18. bball jay

i disagree. delfino's stats aren't that good either but that doesn't mean i don't support him. i've always said fino was a good player. i judge talent i don't judge stats. i know that when given a chance darko is going to be a great player. you're the type to wait until they are a great player then post about it. i can see it before it happens.

he only shoots 2 free throws a game. just wait until he gets enough shots.

it isn't his role on the team. dwight is the dominant rebounder on that team. darko's job is to contest every shot.

it isn't his role on the team. his team's style of play isn't suited toward this. if he was in phoenix it would be a different story.

it isn't his role on the team. he has had a 5 assist game as a c/ pf.

agreed. he's been given the chance to do this.

this boils down to a difference in thought process. you can only see what a player is doing now. so therefore you should not even be posting in a thread about seeing potential.

19. MotownPride

You are unrealistic about him as well.

I'm a Delfino fan, but I can admit when he isn't performing well. You haven't mastered that skill.

I'll just disregard your excuse section.

I disagree completely.

First, this is a thread designed to discuss his performance not his potential. Reread please.

Second, I do love to see/evaluate the potential in players. ..and I like my track record as far as spotting talent. Unlike you though, I judge potential by results. Maxiel and Delfino are not proven stars by any stretch of the imagination. However, they've shown that given time they can produce numbers. Am I so far off by calling someone a good rebounder because they've actually snatched rebounds? Calling someone a good scorer because they've actually scored points? My only criteria is that I'm shown something. I've had NBA League pass now for the past 4 years. I watch young talent on a daily basis. Last year I was a big fan of David Lee out of New York. Kevin Perkins out of Boston. Marcus Banks, currently riding the pine in Phoenix. These are players that when given the opportunity with a limited amount of minutes exploded. You can't name a player that I haven't scouted the past 4 years in the NBA.

This is why I judge Darko so harshly. I'm not comparing him to Battie. I am comparing him to a league with new emerging talent that enters the league annually. Players who like Darko, enter the league with alot of hype and sometimes not. They fight for time and respect. As a result they try to out work everyone on the court. Your boy does not stand up favorably to them as it pertains to results. So...he still gets no love from me.

20. bball jay

have you watched the last 3 games?? delfino is becoming the man right before our eyes.

this thread was started to predict his performance based on his potential. reread please

yeah that kevin perkins guy is good.

his team has won more than most of the young guys you compare him to. i wousometimesld say those are results. are stats what you consider results?? in my opinion darko being on the court results in a shut down of the other team. darko being on the court results in a low post/ high post threat. darko being on the court results in great ball movement and highlight passes to get the crowd into the game. now those are results.