Darko Extension

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 18, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well, this didn't take long... :rolleyes:

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060418/SPORTS/604180330/1002

This is EXACTLY why Joe had to move him when he did. For those of you keeping score at home, $83.5 million for 6 years is over $13 million per season.

Marc Cornstein plays hardball. He got Sam Dalembert $58 million over 6, a late first rounder who has averaged 7 points, 7 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game on his career. And no one was bidding against Philly. LMAO!

This has the "potential" to seriously interfere with Orlando's cap situation, as both Nelson and Howard will also be looking for max deals down the road (and deservedly so).
  2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

It can't be worse than where they are now, I think they'd be pretty happy paying 30 to 40 mil per season on Darko, Dwight, and Jameer compared to the $40 mil GHill, Anfernee Hardaway, and Christie are making this year.

With the cap space they gain over the next two years, they should be able to sign some free agents before the 08/09 season when they could have 3 guys making the max. Not unlike the Pistons who are about to enter that cap hell over the next two years, but already have the players they want and can break the cap to resign them.

(Which is also why Delfino isn't going anywhere, making $5 mil over the next 3 years, is a bargain for his talents, players like Evans are a dime a dozen)
  3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

BINGO!

Pay Darko $13 Mill? Ummmmm.....I don't think so!

Orlando looks like just the guys to do it though! They've got a fan base to worry about.
  4. roscoe36

I would pay Arroyo $13 million and brand the beejeezus out of him. He's the #1 draw in town.
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

6. max

max All-Star

It did say they wanted another year to evaluate him and are hoping for a deal along the lines of his current one.

With some deperate teams out there Darko's agent is going to ride this potential thing all the way to the bank. Then Darko will become a true bust.
  7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

The way I read the article was that was the MOST HE COULD ASK FOR, not what he would ask for. It seems to me that the Pistons instilled some characted in the kid and that he will sign for less in order to get and keep a team around him that could compete.

He learned a lot up here in Michigan and he is starting to put it to use, and that includes, in my estimation, his character, as well. Dwight and Jameer et al are important to Darko's future and he is happy with the situation.

He very well may NOT rock the boat; just help row it.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with Lay-Z. Darko's agent seemed pretty realistic about the situation. He basically said that both sides are choosing to gamble. If Darko don't got game, then he won't get the dough. But if he got game, then he get the max.
  9. max

max All-Star

ORL - "We've had a conversation, but whether we're going to extend him based on 30 games or not, I'm not sure yet," Magic assistant general manager Otis Smith said. "We'll continue conversations and evaluate it, and if it makes sense and it's something we want to do from a numbers standpoint, we'll do it. But if we can't keep the numbers down, we won't engage it."

Cornstein - "If the numbers are right, we'd be very amenable to looking at an extension," Cornstein said. "If Darko continues to play to his potential and Orlando can keep playing at the level they have, they really have something special there. There's no question his stature could be higher in 2007 than 2006." But a lot can happen in the course of a year, both good and bad."

Young Centers/PF's do get large deals. Okur, Can't recall what Curry extended for. Its their problem now.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Until he realizes his potential he doesn't deserve the max. But if they want to keep him they should keep his numbers equal to his value. Whatever that is?
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

We should reserve judgement until something actually happens. Until then you're just projecting your bias on a situation that doesn't exist.
  12. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

That's not possible cause they have to pay him at least the league minimum. :nod:
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The way orlando finished it's not a surprise. Orlando is making the playoffs next season. It might be very hard, but do you think with shaq another year older next season that the magic can get the southeast's best record over miami next season?
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Eyes#1, are you saying he hasn't earned the league min. You got me.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You gunna add something?
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No, it's pretty definitive. Maybe we should add a quote from Lee357 in there.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Link to some of BBJs threads
  19. roscoe36

Actually, the post-Detroit bit is poorly written. I'm surprised it wasn't scrutinized by the admins. Wikipedia lets anyone add content, but the review process is really tough.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah I've heard Wikipedia let's some unsubstantiated stuff post, likes it's ---word.