Darko Get's high praise from Flip

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

LB's gone isn't he?

Lighten up, Francis.
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Friday December 2nd - First Game Against Knicks

It is not so much what you say but how you say it and where you say it.

It will be interesting to see how much energy Darko has in the games against the Knicks this year. First game against the Knicks this year is at The Palace on Fri December 2nd.

Hopefully Darko will get to play and will play well and the Pistons will top the 100 point mark that night and come away big winners.
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

budda

What will be interesting, as well, is the fans' reaction to the former coach and if there is any schoomzing going on between Brown and his former players. I think there is some resentment -- more than just from Darko and Delfino, too.
  4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

they won't openy lshow resentment. they will do the normal hugs and lb might throw out an i love you soundbite. we'll just smack him in the mouth with the trophy just like the rest of the league.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I hear you Jay. I never said that Darko should not say anything bad about Larry. He should be honest and that would be admirable. Look at Billups. He lets us know what Brown is like (in a mature fashion...not in a tirade), but he also said he taught him a helluva lot. I'm not saying that Larry didn't treat Darko worse than Billups, but regardless Darko should have picked up some positive things.

I will say it myself "Brown is an ARSE Hull". He hurt Darko and other players in many ways, IMO. But I also have to say in all honesty (without letting my personal dislike of the man get in the way of being objective) that his knowledge of the game is respected throughout the league. And some of that knowledge must have inevitably rubbed off on Darko in some manner and it will hopefully manifest itself in Darko's game down the line. If not, Darko is an idiot. How could he not learn from Brown? Dislike him, hell yes. Why not? Does the good negate the bad. IMO it does NOT. But if Darko wants to show that he is above Brown then Darko needs to show it by doing what Brown did NOT do IMO, and that is to not let his personal biases cloud objective reality. There are people we hate, but it doesn't mean they have no positive qualities or that they can teach us nothing.

I'm saying that he needs to be honest about the bad but to talk about the good stuff too. Maybe it was 80 percent bad & 20 good. That's fine. Go ahead & say that.

Brown is not Satan, my friend. I cannot stand Brown either, but wouldn't I be foolish to say that he is pure evil and that he does not know the game? Just because he mishandles some players doesn't mean that some good wasn't there too.

To me, aknowledging that Brown had some good qualities does not weaken the argument that he had bad qualities which outweighed those. It strengthens it because it shows a person is looking at it objectively and not letting his passion cloud his judgment. I don't know if we would have been better off without Brown for 2 years. Nobody knows and nobody ever will. I think it was time for him to leave and from what little I've seen so far, I am guessing Flip will be very successful.
  6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

There will be no resentment shown, not on JD's team. The guy wont let his players show it. But if Darko becomes good, giving LB credit will be like giving a child abuser credit because his son turned out strong. All those whuppins built character.
  7. bball jay

he isn't satan?? i am glad he's gone. i just hope he doesn't kill curry playing him 40 minutes a game on a bad ticker. do you think lb will care about his heart or care about winning?? he'll probably diss curry in the paper telling him he needs to learn the difference between being hurt and being injured.
  8. Darth Tater

Who said anything about giving Darko credit for making him strong? I didn't say Brown helped build his character. In fact, he may have torn him down. But just because a person has faults does not make him all bad. In fact some weaknesses can also be strengths (e.g. stubborness).

And a person can have great strengths in one area and weaknesses in others. If I know that someone has the winning lotto numbers for tomorrow, I am going to listen no matter how much I hate him because it will benefit me and will fill my pockets with cash. But yes, if I let my hatred block out the sound of his voice, then I will miss the message and I will be filled with hatred and empty pockets. Is that on me or my teacher? I would say both.
  9. bball jay

hitler and the germans did a lot of valuable research. i have no problems when that isn't mentioned when hitler is talked about during history classes. sometimes the way you go about doing things makes what you do not even matter. the way lb handled darko makes the couple of post moves he taught him not important to me. i think it cost us a championship and it cost darko 2 and a half years of development.
  10. Darth Tater

Would Brown care? I have no idea. He is out for Larry Brown. Selfish and narcissistic and cold sometimes, IMO...yes. Pushing a player to his death and not caring...I would think he would not take it to that extreme.

I'm glad he is gone too and I hope he fails miserably as the Knicks coach. I don't wish bad health on him, though. Do you? I hope not.
  11. Darth Tater

DO NOT ever compare what Hitler did to what Larry Brown did. That is downright ignorant and I am not responding to that kind of stuff.

Do NOT compare Darko to a holocaust victim!
  12. bball jay

i'm just giving an extreme example of a majority bad person doing good. there is no need to give that bad person credit for any good they do because the bad outweighs the good by a fair amount. darko owes lb nothing at all.

you already responded to it.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The petty LB bashing, thread jacking needs to come to an end. It's just rhetoric that has been posted 100 times already.

Give it a rest because Roscoe has better things to do than split, delete or close threads. Things like learn Flip's new offense. Dig?
  14. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

I don't think bballjay was doing any of those things. He was merely using a hyperbolic parallel to make a point--a mere forensic device. I am certain he was not trying to draw some kind of moral equivalence between the two or attempting to cite Darko as a victim of historical proportions.
  15. Darth Tater

I'm sure our Jewish friends would not agree, any more than they would use the atrocious acts committed by white slavemasters toward African Americans to try to prove a point of view about a basketball coach and his player. Come to think of it, Brown was Jewish too. Maybe there is an underlying theme here and the hatred extends beyond Larry Brown which would explain why Jay insists everyone must see Brown as the ultimate evil doer. Hmmm...seems to me somebody else tried to convince an entire nation to think like that back in the 40's.

Other examples would have illustrated this point just as easily. Jay feels the need to not let this go. Sorry, I don't buy the "just trying to make a point" thing.
  16. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

What is he now? :eyebrows:

Love ya, Darth, but I think you're over reacting.
  17. bball jay

if you post about justifying lb's actions. if you post praising lb in any way. i'll post against him. why should i let it go? i'm sorry i didn't mean to offend you or jewish people or germans. i'll leave the germans and jews alone except for lb my hatred for him is not race related.
  18. bball jay

lb praising and excuse making for his behavior should stop too then.
  19. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Yeah

Right, it would be a mistake to expect too much too soon. I'm still holding out on Darko doing at least something sensible in the game but that notwithstanding, this is great news for all of us who have waited for news on his game and its development. :nod:
  20. bball jay

this is also just reconfirms what many of us knew all along. even when the players said the kid was good there were still non believers. now flip comes in and says he's good. there are still non believers. darko does well in europe still non believers. darko does well against atlanta and it's still not good enough for some. when darko does well in preseason it will still be doubted. hopefully when the regular season comes he will start getting respect and people believing what they own eyes are seeing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.