1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Darko Review from Massimo

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit News veterans all know Massimo as an ardent Darko, Memo and Delfino (most things European basketball oriented) fan. He's in Italy and during the summer usually has some interesting offseason reports. I wish I had saved his gem about Memo from last year.

Some folks might not like what he has to say but I have never had reason to believe he was being less than honest.

http://info.detnews.com/pistons/lettersindex.cfm
    Mon. 07/24/06 06:53 AM
    Why Darko Milicic is no more a Piston

On Saturady I attended the game Italy played vs Serbia Montenegro in the Gianatti tournament in Bormio featuring Italy, SCG, Greece and Canada.

Darko played like 28 minutes and had an average game (best scorer of the game with 17 point but very low %, he was like 2 for 16) but what I saw was pretty enteresting.

He started the game strong with 4 rebounds, one block, one spectacular assist (a touch pass) and a basket on a nice jumper in few minutes then he lost his head for a silly thing: he was fouled two times under the basket but no whistle so Darko erupted for a technical foul and, before leaving the court boiling, he kicked one of the courtside sponsors.

The crowd (a lot of kids with families)booed him and, when he came back in the second half, he got booed every time he touched the ball and, for every miss, people roared louder than when Italy scored a basket...

I saw that he made the 'Serbian three fingers salute' torward the fans (that doesn't mean three points, but it's more like a provocation) every time he hit a three point shot (two times, he was 2/3) while laughting at his opponents at the same time.

Well, the point is that the man is 21 years old but he seems more like a 12 years old kid... He tried hard to dunk the ball to make people shut up but one time was blocked by an Italian player, while the other the shot was rejected by the rim in traffic... I can understand it wasn't the World Championships Final but his behavior was unprofessional and silly to say the least...

He was having fun, laughting but he wasn't able to translate his willingess to take over the game into great basketball.

That said, before losing his head for nothing and starting his personal war with the fans, he played great and you could see why was the 2# pick in the 2003 draft: he's fluid like a guard, he has very soft hands (he scores FT without moving the net...)and has a tremendous reach with his long arms.

Too bad Darko is still a big kid, very immature and not ready for a team like Detroit that needs immediate help and proven players. They just didn't want to wait for him so long: no question he will be a great player in this league but he still needs a couple of years to mature as a person before as a player.

Massimo, Mandello del Lario (LC), ITALY

2. linwood

linwood All-Star

12 year old sounds about right.:ohwell:

It's nice to hear that he was enjoying himself. I was afraid that after the nightmare here in Detroit, with his confidence shattered by Garbage Time, he might sour on basketball forever.

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Great stuff Masssimo. I trust the Massimo viewpoint. He has a Darko bias but gives us a unique viewpoint.

Isn't this description pretty much what we observed during Darko's days in Detroit? Athletic ability marred by emotional instability? Same old story. Same old Darko.

4. roscoe36

There are really high expectations for him in Europe. I wonder though how much the language barrier may have contributed to both his growth in America, his issues with the Pistons, and his draft position.

Speaking a language "broken" style (in my experience) really doesn't allow you to express yourself effectively. And the less you can express, the less likely you are to communicate.

5. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

He really is a 'Serbian Gangstar'....He's a Euro Sheed.

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure bball jay would dismiss this as liberal media propaganda. No need to believe it yet.

7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Last year, I really looked forward to Massimo's reports. Being of like mind, I never look upon his reports as 'biased' :ohwell: .

I will be looking for them again this year.

Yes, although I have been and still am a fan of DMC, I have never been one who believes that he has no faults. This one, I believe he may have picked up from Sheed and a couple
    of others.

I have always believed that when you are 'put-apon', it is so childish to show that it is getting through to you. Just raise your level of play and get back at them in that way.

I hoped that when I saw he did not play yesterday in the defeat of Canada, it was because the coach sat him down for a game to show his displeasure. Nip it in the bud!

I am looking forward to the slightly possible event that the Serbian team will meet the USA in the finals. Would it not be great to see that deep draft represented so well on the floor at the same time: Dwayne, LeBron, Carmelo, Bosh, and Darko.

I cannot wait :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !!!

8. roscoe36

Nice avatar lazy! Looks a lot like Jerry West! ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. basketbills

Lazy. You are saying that Darko picked up his attitude problems from Sheed? That's another headscratcher for me. How would you come up with a theory like that and upon what facts do you base this theory?

I think some of you Darko guys just pull these theories out of thin air because they are convenient to your internal Darko myth. I believe the facts before my eyes...you create them.

10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Agreed, bills. Before Detroit ever drafted Darko, there were stories from Serbia about his attitude. On the whole I think he did a good job staying patient during three difficult seasons with the Pistons, but he didn't use the learning opportunities presented to him. The biggest barrier to his success seems to be from the neck up.

11. linwood

linwood All-Star

I have a theory about that!

12. lazyberbs

OK, bills, I guess it is not a corruption of the thread if I take up space answering you.

I will ask you, have you ever seen Sheed play?

Sheed comes to play about every other game and that is what some of you accuse Darko of doing. Only diff was that he did it during garbage time and Sheed does it during real game time.

No other Piston, past or present, comes to mind (maybe I am having another senior moment) who puts on such a show and earns so many technical fouls, when he disagrees with a call. And truthfully, when they are replayed, the ref was correct 90% of the time.

Sheed is very selfish in certain of his actions, which is another thing you bashers accuse DMC of. Coming to mind are these mindless predictions which put pressure on his team, and then he does nothing to back them up. Headlines but no backup.

He drifts around the perimeter and jacks up treys, like you accuse DMC of doing. If you see Darko play for Orlando, he gets a lot of points and assists inside.

Darko does not get rebounds partly because, like Sheed, he plays with another great rebounder, and he is out of position sometimes because he is blocking or alteriong the shot.

Does any of this sound familiar?

What bothers me the most about this post is that I like Sheed. However, I beleieve that down the road, we will wish we kept DMC and sent Sheed to Orlando.

Let me remind you that I have gone on record plenty of times when I believed that Darko was not putting out or when he did what I did not like. It is very different from the bashers who go out of their way constantly to throw rocks at him, even when the thread is about other things.

13. basketbills

Lazy, I understand your points about Rasheed. However I just think it's a jump in logic to say that ...

Rasheed has showed signs of bad attitude....whining at refs, taking plays off etc.

Darko had a bad attitude.

Therefore Darko inherited his bad attitude from Sheed.

I can't make that connection...especially when Rasheed is an established elite player in this League who has earned the right to fuss a bit.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sheed may have influenced him in more ways than one.
    Say what you want about "The Crab" but they won't take BS!
    But this is not the place for him to go it alone. [private]

15. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

blaming sheed for darko's attitude problems is ludicrious.

I don't notice the Darko fans giving Ben credit for teaching Darko to block shots.

I am so glad Darko is not a Piston anymore. I'd rather Nazr anyday. That ain't saying much, either.

16. lazyberbs

Some of our posters really like to zero in on what they 'think' people say and answer only a point out of several.

I said that I thought he might have picked up some of his cry-baby stuff from Sheed and some others. "And some others" and "might have". Man, if you think a teenager does not pick up traits from the "prime time player" as you said, who would he pick things up from.

I believe that I have held through the years that playing and learning from Ben, Sheed, Elden, Memo, etc helped him become the player he will be, and soon.

Bills, exactly what "emotional instability" are you talking about? Seems he has showed quite a lot of emotional stability in putting up with the lack of a chance to do what he was hired to do, for so long.

RM, lets see if you still feel the same way next year this time, you know, the part about rather having Nazr than Darko as a Piston.

I have kept from posting for quite a while now because I knew we would get drawn back into this stuff. Neither of us is going to change anyone's opinion, so I am going to quit. Wewill let DMC speak for himself, THIS YEAR.

Everybody knows how I feel and as Bill O'Reilly says, you can have the last word.

17. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Lazy,

Point taken. My post sounds harsher towards you than I intended, i should add. sorry.

I think the Delfino/Darko thing has me ticked off in general. I hate to see our picks languish and give us nothing in terms of performance. And I hate when they contribute little on the court then complain about PT.

I could be wrong about Darko, but I still don't like him one bit.

18. lazyberbs

Robert Michael, I understand and there is no need to apologize. Darko is a real flash point on the Detroit forums, and I get harsh sometimes, too. I just have to resist jumping to the defense of these millionaires, I guess.

Actually, I think it is funny, when I think about it. All these diverse opinions we all hold and they all boil down to "0" because nobody but us really pays attention to them. I wouldn't mind having quite a few of the posters on these forums as friends because we are all interested and not shy about voicing our opinions.

I have met only one of the posters and went to his home to watch a Piston game while I was out of town.

You know what, even though we don't agree on some things, I found him to be a pretty nice person, and having a number of the same interests as I hold.

Imagine that !!

19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Speaking of Darko.... Is he on 'roids?

[​IMG]

20. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

No, he's just not a teenager any more. Darko's frame always indicated he'd be a monster once he started filling out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.