Darko Review from Massimo

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linwood

linwood All-Star

Boy, it would be nice to have a big cneter with a soft touch. Too bad Darko was so lazy.
  2. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Lazy,

At some point Joe and the coaches need to get on the same page regarding our young players. I think we can all agree on that.

I'd like to see us drafting players like Prince- 3 or 4 years in college at a Big Program with plenty of success in NCAA tourneys. Then play them and let them make a few mistakes.

I agree about guys on this board. I find this board to have quite a collection of smart Piston fans who are passionate enough to disagree about almost anything. And because there is some level of accountability (not like detnews) the discussions stay civil if not down right friendly.

I live in L.A., so I don't have a ton of local Piston fans to shoot the smack with. This board is very good for out-of-towners like me. I've never met anybody off the board, but I am sure most are very cool. Funny how something like a sports team can be a bridge to meeting people.

peace.
  3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I'm glad to see Darko has an attitude, bet it helps him next season. Unfortunately, our coaches refuse to play anyone who doesn't kiss up them. Kobe, Sheed, Harrington, Bonzi, Carmelo, AI, Big Nook, The Worm, Artest, White Chocolate, Sprewell, Charles Oakley, Nate Robinson, and the list goes on, and on, on all had attitudes.

This aint no choir league, you want "nice" guys on the team, prepare to finish last.

BTW, anyone who ever questioned Darko's work effort should check out those guns.
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Since you mentioned that darko pic, is it just me, or does it look like he's starring directly at the basketball and telling it to shut up? :der:
  5. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Jammertime, I would settle for the Pistons winning 62 and the Bulls 26, or even 63 and 36. Just keep them out of the playoffs.

Robert Michael, I think the Pistons will not get too many of the players you are looking for, and for a real good reason. They will not have bad enough season records to get that high in the draft. Hope they get lucky though and match the coaches with the players.

And itn't it difficult to be a fan of a team that is far away. You never get to see enough games and it is hard to keep up with the day to day goings on without forums like this one.

I think that is why people a lot of times root for the local teams. It is easier. I have always bee stubborn though. I was born and raised in Ohio and rooted for the Reds and Dayton U and Ohio State, but when OSU started crowding out the Dayton Flyers from the local sports pages, I started rooting for MSU. In 1966, we moved to Michigan for a great job and I started rooting for Ohio State because it was so much fun to argue with the guys here in MI about UM and MSU against OSU.

But since the Cincinnati Royals went belly-up, I started following the Pistons a couple of years after they came up from Fort Wayne. Now, I follow the Pistons but have to also follow the Magic and Jazz, for obvious reasons.

I guess that is more than you wanted to know about me. Sorry :eyebrows: !!
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm in FL right now on vacation. orlando's a few hours away but we're goin there tomorrow to universal studios. we'll probably see darko having ice cream and getting a tan at the park, so i'll be sure to take pictures.
  7. max

max All-Star

I implore you guys to rethink those Sheed comparisons and try to see the difference.

Unfortunatly raw talent is not always enough. There are a lot of other factors in the mental aspect of how players are and approach the game. Some have it, some learn it, and some never get it.

Dumars was faced with having to either extend him this summer or risk losing him next. All this with an unsure player. Besides we know how much they value frugaliy at the Palace.

My main knock all along was not selecting a safer bet with the #2. When you only get one every decade you should not take it to the roulette table.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

To be frank, who is to say that Darko's last experiences in Detroit did not go south due to preliminary contract talks?

His agent is a heavy hitter, and it seems to me quite obvious Detroit was not going to give him the opportunity last season to showcase himself for his impending FA.
  9. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

I don't buy that at all, and it's hardly "obvious". What seemed obvious to me was that, beginning with training camp, the Pistons had every intention of playing Darko as much as his play would justify, that Darko showed some early spark, then tailed off. On another team, perhaps, they would have continued throwing him out there, and maybe the Pistons should have. But this obviously is a kid, unlike a LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony, who doesn't have the emotional maturity to blossom in the NBA at age 20, 21, whatever, regardless of his innate basketball skills.

What I think time will eventually show is that Darko is a pretty solid NBA talent, and that the mistake made by the Pistons wasn't so much in judging his basketball talent as his emotional (im)maturity.
  10. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Cwolfson, that did not seem obvious to me, though. What I saw was a kid who played and got himself ready and played very well in Europe and in the Pre-Season. Despite that, the Pistons went out and got another big "to play the important minutes and the post season". Some show of confidence in Darko.

Darko played well, well into the early season, until the New York game. He was nervous playing for his old nemesis, or whatever, but he had a lousy game. After that, he was on the bench without playing. Even though he played very, very well in the second Knicks game, in limited minutes, he never got further PT to any extent.

Only then did his spark disappear. I realize that our viewpoints are diametrically opposed and we see the same things very differently.

Who knows.
  11. max

max All-Star

Instead of debating Darko. If he was ineligible in 03 or if Dumars went more for the sure thing our starting frontcourt right now would be very different. Memo and Bosh would be the starters.

Use your imagination. If we drafted Bosh we would have started 04 with Ben, Memo, Bosh and Camb. Probably never would have traded for Sheed, I am pretty sure we would not have. Would never have signed Dyess. Would have had the cap space to match Utah's offer and keep Okur. Even losing Ben this summer we would be giving Bosh an extension and actually had enough money left over so re-signing Billups next summer would not be a problem.

Would be have still won it in 04? Hard to say. May have won it instead in 05 or 06 and would have a very young and respectable front court right now. We would not be hoping for one of these SL refugees to step up. The future would be a heck of a lot brighter than what it is now.

So thats why I am not so hot on constantly revisiting Darko as if we had no other choice or no other options with #2. That pick was wasted.

Only satisfaction we can get at this point is if Orlando has to fork over a high pick and send Darko packing at the same time.
  12. mire

mire Second Round Draft Pick

darko is busting his butt playing for national team for a whole month now (and will play for another month too) just like dwight howard is playing for usa

people like you are the ones that make stupid things...
  13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hahahaha, Darko? Is that you? You vant to ride in the firetruck?
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This discussion has run it's course.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.