Darko

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Jackattaq, Sep 19, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think his agent feels he is worth Samuel Dalembert money, but I doubt he gets it. $80 million? Unlikely.

My guess is that they are going to tender this kid the (IMO) massive qualifying offer ($6.8 million), and see if the market is willing to bid higher.

His trade value is low because he's not a veteran (read: not a lot of immediate help for a contender) and his contract is expiring.

I'm telling you right now, his agent has a bad reputation and everyone can see this guy coming from miles away. After what happened with Bonzi and Spree, players and their agents need to be a lot smarter about assessing their true market value, not what they think there value is, or they will end up leaving a LOT of money on the table.

The brief hayday of non-superstar players with potential/upside getting mad money are fast going away.

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Re: Rasheed Wallace : The key

funny, because this is exactly the opposite of how darko plays.

3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

80 million was just a number that popped into my head. i'm not sure just how much he will be offered or even how much they could possibly offer. i'm just saying that it's wise for orlando to wait and see just how good darko is before they drop a long term high money contract on him. 30 games isn't enough.

i just brought up his trade value to state that if orlando wasn't sure about him. i'm talking 80% sure that he was going to be a good player then it's best to trade him now. his trade value won't be higher than this year. i guess it will be higher at the trade deadline maybe. any value out of him is better than just losing him in free agency. especially if you aren't high on his talent.

i disagree that he would be immediate help for a contender though. detroit would take him. phoenix would take him. dallas would take him. san antonio would take him.

yup. now they are giving it to ex-superstars on the decline.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I was thinking the same thing... these agents are gonna start covering their arse... the greedy ones will go home empty handed w/o a client... early offers will be snapped up... both players and agents understand the money is fleeting.... first come first serve

5. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

roscoe,

i know i don't have to read the darko thread(s), but is there a way i can make them not appear in my unread posts without losing the Detroit Pistons General Discussion section?? :stirthepot: :) pistonsforum v.3 (summer '07)??

i don't want to read them, but i like to empty my unread posts screen and right now the only way through that is by dreadfully clicking the darko thread and then waiting the requisite 20 seconds until i can move on...

i should add that i have a kind of perverse admiration for those of you who find the patience and energy to continue to participate in a discussion about the young fella

6. roscoe36

prof, you can always ask for ( [​IMG] ) a Darko thread move to the NBA forum.

I'll do that now anyways. It's not really a Pistons discussion.

7. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Funny, in 2.5 years, I barely saw Darko play. Funny how you know how he plays with so little of seeing him play.

Remind me again when Darko DID PLAY IN DETROIT? You CAN'T be referring to that 553 minutes spead out over 2.5 seasons worth of games can you?

I did however watch Darko play 30 games in Orlando and YES, that's exactly how he played at most times. He was aggressive and worked hard to do the things necessary to help Orlando finish strong.

Maybe if we ever got to SEE DARKO PLAY, we would have seen what he will become. Unfortunately morons like LB felt the need to diss a talented young player.

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i watched him in orlando, and in the FIBA games, and he looked like the same lethargic player trying to get by on talent alone that i saw in detroit. he's got some inherent skills but he doesn't have the heart or desire.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

No you wouldn't! You would bring cash in a wheelbarrow if you could!

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Orlando Sentnel

"Depleted by injuries, the Magic finished the night with 11 players after forward Trevor Ariza left the floor to have his right foot treated. The Magic were missing three starters: point guard Jameer Nelson (mild concussion), power forward Tony Battie (sore right knee) and small forward Hedo Turkoglu (flu-like symptoms). Backup point guard and sixth man Carlos Arroyo (strained abdominal muscle) and top rookie guard J.J. Redick (torn tissue on bottom of left foot) also sat out. In keeping with the Red Cross theme, the star of the night, Dwight Howard, wore a bandage over his left eye."

11. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

mercury, and that is with 17 players in camp. They really have taken a beating.

But the strange thing is that Grant Hill was one of the healthy ones left on the floor at the end. Will wonders never cease!!

This is going to be a fun season. First time I can remember being this interested in two NBA teams at the same time. I am really planning to get down to the Palace for the two Piston/Magic games, at least. And I am very strongly considering dropping Charter Cable to get a dish so that I can get NBA League Pass. Charter is not carrying it, so bye bye.

12. roscoe36

With no hesitation, Howard says he's Magic leader - Orlando Sentinel : Orlando Magic

Obviously this Orlando writer is a hater. :rofl:

13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Actually, she's not a Darko hater, just an all out Dwight lover. Darko represents a threat to her favorite player.

BTW, Darko stuffed Dwight twice in the scrimmage, but was also blocked twice by Dwight and outscored 24-8.

15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

not hard to swallow at all. i think right now that d. howard is a better basketball player than darko. i say darko is the more complete of the two though. she got a little ahead of herself with the annihilated comment. from the other reports i heard this was more of a battle than an annihilation. dwight got the best of the encounter but darko wasn't just making the teams even. i heard it was a heated battle and i'm happy for darko and dwight.

this shouldn't be the highlight of your day. this is the eastern conference nightmare that we'll be seeing for 10 years. don't forget that these 2 are on the same team and will be getting better since they are both super young.

isn't it weird how they reference how howard was babied when he arrived. darko was abused when he arrived with the pistons. there is a difference. but now they are both in the same boat and ready to take the league on together. they have each other's back and aren't trying to backstab or stunt anybody's growth as a player or get anybody shipped out of town (malcontent).

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Jay, I saw Howard and Darko play the last 30 games of last season. There is no way Howard is the better player. Howard is a very good player, but Darko's ability to move so well outclasses Howard on D to such a great degree that the rest does not matter. Plus, you know Howard has had a ton of experience playing already while Darko is just getting started. Me, I will be routing for Orlando and both Howard and Darko on an every game basis thru League Pass. I will keep you posted as to which player is improving faster.

17. MotownPride

Welcome back Lee. That's the Lee I know...

Darko > Howard

Umm... No. :(

18. MotownPride

Thank God you're with them to validate this, otherwise I would just say you were making it up to boost your arguement.

19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I know it will not surprise anyone but I too read many reports of the Intra-Squad game and everybody else led with the fact that it was an all-out war between DMC and DH. The lady reporter was the only one who called the way she did.

To me, it made me aware that DMC is competing with the only other player of his age, strengths, and desires, and they are ON THE SAME TEAM.

As the coach said, "it would be foolish to put them together in this game. They used the game to make each other better and to gain more respect for each other.

Lee, I cannot get NBA League Pass with my cable company but intend to ditch Charter for a dish because they DO carry it.

As a matter of fact, Darko blocked Dwight's first shot and then stole the ball from him the next trip down. Probably pissed him off.

Sure shows the difference between playing and sitting on the bench. Would you believe it that the guy playing gets better than the guy sitting on the bench?

Imagine that :rolleyes: .

20. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

While Lee is routing for Orlando I will be watching them get routed by the Pistons. :)

Howard is much better than Darko, but he will make Darko so much better because teams have to focus on Howard. When they do Darko will make them pay by creeping out and hitting wide open jumpers. Darko can shoot the ball folks. And he can block shots.

I bet Joe D would love to have another PF that could flat out shoot it and block shots, huh? :sssh: