Darko

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Jackattaq, Sep 19, 2006.

1. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I don't really think his Robin costume is causing the lack of blocks. He did lead the World Championships in blocks this past summer. As we all know, the pre-season is not a good test, but the World Championships were.

I believe that it is mostly because he is not being challenged as much here due to his reputation as a shot blocker. Instead, right now they are challenging Dwight and he is getting the blocks.

If you guys stop talking about it for a while, maybe the NBA players will forget and start challenging him again. :rolleyes: :pound:

2. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Hey don't be so modest. It's also time to let everyone know that, during this pre-season, Nazr Muhammad makes like Shaq and Garnett look like Tom Nivens and Reggie Harding. :sssh: Nevertheless, I hope both keep on track.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't get it. Maxiell has shown the same attack the basket aggressiveness that he showed last year in garbage time that he does in this preseason...the biggest difference is that he is getting more of it.
    People like to bring up the whole black hole thing but this guy is the point of the spear...all you need him to do is puncture the defence and stab them in the heart while your main guys catch a breather. The guy gets results.

Off the bench we need finishers. And while Delfino is struggling with that, JMax is proving it with each game.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

As much as I'd like to see Jmax use Darko's forhead as a stepladder I'm not sure this would be a good matchup for the Brahma.... I would have payed double to see the Pistons real training camp last year just to get a first hand view of how DMC competed against Jmax, and the other bigs.

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

even though that's what most darko die-hards were touting (the potential and blocking ability) all of last year? singing a different tune now that he's not blocking as many shots, eh?

6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

He has never gotten results in real game time minutes. Doesn't mean he can't, just means he hasn't. Right now I doubt people are playing that tough a D, especially for big men.

Right now, JMax is trying to show that he can score and get put backs, which he has done. He still needs to show he can play D and get defensive boards.

Darko is trying to develop a rhythm with Dwight, and work on his D. If Darko shot every time he touched the ball, like JMax, I doubt B Hill would be very happy.

BTW, other than Joey D, I bet every GM in the league would stil pick Darko over JMax.

7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

my guess for him hitting 40% from the field is that he is an outside player. he has had some games where he shot really badly. he bulked up in the summer and it might take him a minute to get used to it.

blocked shots are a mystery because i'm not watching the games. i do know he used to get robbed of block stats while he was here. i also think the emergence of d. howard on the defensive end is taking a lot of pressure off darko to block shots. teams know not to come in the paint against orlando.

what's your excuse for jmax not getting any assists?? jmax and darko will never match up well in terms of stats. i think jmax is just a more selfish player and darko isn't so he'll never put up lots of numbers besides assists. isn't it great to get 3 assists from your pf. darko would rather drop dimes to d.howard than jack up a shot every time he touches it like jmax.

8. Slippy

Darko's FG% is not that big of a deal. He had two shooting nights that were terrible...other than that he pretty much rocked it. His hustle stats are down from last preseason probably because he is starting. He has a responsibility to play under control and not take as many risks but that should balance out too.

As for MAxiell, the guy is a finisher. He is the guy that you give the ball to at the end to cap off a play. Jmax played 22 mpg so far. He shot 54 Free throws!!! That is more than D.HO and Darko COMBINED. D.HO and Darko COMBINED to sink 27 free throws while Jmax and his weak FT% still got 31.
    I'm not talking about Howard and Milicic...I'm talking about Maxiell. The guy attacks and he's drawn fouls. He's shot 53%. Why do you want him to pass? That's what we have Will, Carlos and Flip for.

9. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Shoots under 40% (you forgot the under part buddy..I'm sure that was by mistake though, right?) because he is an outside player....that's a good one. Most would think that if you shoot under 40% that doesn't make you an outside player..but I digress. I'm sure Darko will get it going again but its funny to hear how you make every excuse in the world to defend the fact that he has sucked so far in the preseason. Last year when he was successful with blocking shots during the preseason you used that as the premise for every arguement that validated his future Hall of Fame status. Ironically, this year his inability to perform must be the weights and the fact that he is so excited about wearing his Robin costume. Whatever supports your arguement, right? Here's a novel idea.... Maybe, just maybe.....Darko still has alot of development to do this year before he can be a force in the league. Nah...that would take away from the Legend of the Serbian Fire Truck Captain. :pound:

Maxiel, on the other hand... WOW! This dude is a beast! He no need to pass. Hulk smash players. Hulk smash ball into rim. Hulk SMASH! SMASH! SMASH! The thing I like about J-Max is that we've never had to make excuses for this guy...he just performs. Its refreshing not to go through piles and piles of psycho babble about the proper lighting, ergonomically correct sneakers, pats on the back, and inspirational speeches required to show up to work and receive a million dollar paycheck.

My prediction....

J-Max will dunk hard on Darko this year and that hilarious moment will be captured in my avatar the following day without hesitation. :)

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:pound:

Milicic the enigma...some believe in him and some don't.

Dumars probably refers to him as the "immaculate deception".

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Pistons never promoted Darko they way they have promoted Maxiell.

You'd like to think the players make their own legend, but the marketing machine is in the drivers seat.

12. MotownPride

Trust me...I don't blame Darko for the hype that has become his legend. He's never really done anything in a Pistons uniform to invite infinite praise or complete disdain. He is simply what happens when a talented kid in need of motivation gets drafted to a team that requires tremendous self-motivation to break the lineup. His biggest problem in this league has continuously been that SO much is expected out of him. So much so that learning the game under a realistic timeline is often never a part of Darko discussions. If Darko is predicted and selected as a 10th pick for instance, would there be any Darko debate? Opinions of him are often on each side of the spectrum. This has to be difficult for Darko, but hey, he gets paid to learn his job without any real seasoned skills. Hard to feel sorry for him.

13. bball jay

i don't want him to pass.

he doesn't force many shots and the ones that are forced usually end up with him getting fouled. he is also starting to hit those free throws. i just was pointing out his black hole status to make a point of why his stats will always be different from darko.

i'm saying he shoots 40% because he shoots mostly jumpshots. 40% from the outside with a few horrible games dragging that percentage down isn't bad at all.

darko has only sucked when you only look at stats. reports out of orlando is that he is playing well and deserving to start. he isn't blocking many shots but doing plenty of intimidation. there is no intimidation stat for us to look at.

maxiell is on the court and we are getting to see what he can do that is why there is less speculation. ben and darko gone, davis hurt, sheed and dice coasting is the perfect oppurtunity for maxiell to show what he can do. darko never had an oppurtunity like that. it's weird that you always like to point at darko vs. jmax. i'm pissed that it's not a frontcourt of darko, jmax and amir coming off our bench.

jmax can't bulldoze darko he's too big and his arms are just as long as maxiell's. i predict lots of charges this year for maxiell. i predict darko will take maxiell inside and outside and shut him down offensively.

14. bball jay

ben gone + darko gone + davis injured + sheed coasting + dice coasting + flip getting a stern talking to from joe d = maxiell getting some playing time.

that's called the stars aligning not self motivation. if darko had the same oppurtunity we'd see a different darko than we saw in his piston uni.

the biggest motivator to darko was playing time and the coaches wouldn't give him that. maxiell sees light at the tunnel so that his effort will be rewarded. darko's effort wasn't so therefore his motivation level dropped. he was basically waiting to be traded or be a free agent.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Jay, you are like Linus in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arise.

"It doesn't matter what you believe as long as you are sincere."

16. MotownPride

Actually, unless you are talking about 3 pointers, 39% jump shooting is not good. Sorry, to break it to ya.

Sounds like the arguement we've used to defend Ben from your attacks the past year. You might want to rethink that one.

I point it out because they have approached the game differently. I've yet to see J-Max not take advantage of the time given to him. We could have used him more last year...but we didn't. Doesn't appear to have hurt his motivation, huh?

He can...and he will. ...and I'll be laughing at you as you wait for the Great Pumpkin to arrive. :pound:

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just to get statistical for a moment, the sample size is a bit small.

Through 1 game, Darko shot 50%. Through 2 games, 50%. Through 3 games, 48%, and due to a 1-8 performance, this has dropped to 39%. It is like an early season batting average in baseball. Neifi Perez may look like an all star after 4 games.

When you incorporate all of Darko's scoring, it shows that so far this year, he scores 1.15 points per shot for an effective field goal percentage of 58%.

Maxiel's points per shot are off the charts though. He gets 2.028 points per shot for an eFG of 101%!!! 71 points off of 35 shots. He does it by making a high % from the floor and getting fouled a LOT. If he were an 80% free throw shooter, then his eFG would be 119%.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

For everyone excited about Maxiell making a contribution this year, here is a flashback to last year's preseason:

"AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Five observations from Pistons camp:

1. Not-So-Dark Days: Darko Milicic, blocking shots?

Darko Milicic, scoring points in crunch time?

Darko Milicic, actually calling for the ball?

The Pistons have seen all of the above from the 2003 No. 2 overall pick in the first two weeks of the season. After two years of inactivity (and worse) under Larry Brown, Darko is finally getting a chance to contribute from Flip Saunders.

"Darko's looking really good," teammate Chauncey Billups said. "I'm proud of him.""

Marc Stein

19. MotownPride

So true Tashawn. Call me crazy but I get the feeling we will actually see this carry into the regular season this year though. The management, the coaches, the players, the media and the fans are all ready for the Brahma Bull to be unleased! :)

20. Slippy

Too bad they aren't writing those things about him anymore