Darko

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Jackattaq, Sep 19, 2006.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They are, just not in the Detroit news.

Here is a recent FL Today article:

JACKSONVILLE - In a matter of two very telling possessions, Darko Milicic gave a brief glimpse Wednesday as to why the Orlando Magic desperately want him to emerge as their starting power forward.
    Milicic took the ball at the top of the key, and after noticing that rookie James Augustine had backed off, the sweet-shooting lefthander buried a 20-foot jump shot.
    Seconds later, after his squad got the ball again, Milicic used his noticeably larger 270-pound frame to pin Augustine back helplessly beneath the basket. The 7-footer then sank an uncontested hook shot from point-blank range.
    Dwight Howard, Grant Hill and Jameer Nelson are the unquestioned stars of the Magic, but no player has garnered more attention so far in training camp than the 21-year-old Milicic. That's because the Magic coaches and players view Milicic as a rising star loaded with gobs of talent and potential.
  2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

He's actually shot the ball 62 times, in 111 minutes, if you count the times he was fouled. 27 shots a game in 48 minute stats. That can't be good. And you have to wonder if JMax gets the ball, does the rest of the team just stop and wait for him to shoot?
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You have to respect the foul damage he is doing to the other team though. Maybe we should play him for the first 5 minutes of each quarter. Chauncey can kill them with his 90% once we are in the bonus.
  4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i haven't watched him this year so i can only go by what i hear on forums and that's what they are saying.

maxiell wasn't glued to the bench for 2.5 years. yeah i think his motivation level is a little higher than darko's. jmax wasn't constantly humiliated by his coach. maxiell wasn't losing playing time to darvin ham. jmax wasn't sitting on the bench being told to earn it while anybody that stepped off the street came in and got playing time. yes. i agree their motivation level is different but the handling by the organization was also very different.

i know the great pumpkin isn't going to arrive. jmax thought it was a ball and he already shot it. nothing ball shaped gets out of the black hole.
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

It didn't take Darko 2.5 years to show no effort. He did that almost immediately. He also seemed to do it compulsively, which is why he sat on the bench.

Darko's motivation should have been much higher than Darko's. In fact, as a 2nd round pick, his motivation should have been in the millions.
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I heard a rookie ran Darko over last night and Brian Hill is livid. Anybody hear the whole story on what happened?

Darko supposedly hurt his back and is day to day..............

Ran him over on the court playing that is..........if anyone is thinking a Stephen Jackson run down...............
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Reality...altering before my very eyes! At a 2.028 pts per shot, Maxiel would get 54 pts per 48. Even at 30 minutes you are looking at 34 pts pergame. Bad?

Are you tuning into the games? Because my recollection is a lot different. Flip dumps it to maxiel for the jam. Delfino on the break...pass to maxiel and he dunks it. Delfino feeds maxiel in the post...and he's fouled. The guy does not back his man down. He's not going to put a series of fakes. He's too short for that. he is going to explode before the defense can react and see how that works.

IF all he did was fadeway jumpers hitting front iron, I'd have a problem with that but he's taking it strong and he's not turning the ball over a lot and he's drawing fouls.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Apparently the Magic are sending tape to the league and Darko's back may be hurt. There is an article on it in "Florida Today"
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Sheldon Williams bulldozed Darko while trying to get to the basket. Said that he lifted Darko up...and that pointed to an offensive foul. The Hill incident wasn't about the hit but that they didn't call a foul on Williams since the contact basically injured his key guy.
  10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Havent seen any non Knicks preseason games, so take my judgements for what they're worth. But if what you're saying is true, fantastic. More reason for Flip to play the bench, and another good reason to play guys that shoot (JMax) and guys that distribute (Delfino) together.

As for the Darko foul, Darko went up for a block, and some goon put a shoulder into Darko's back, in front of the ref, and no foul.
    Reality is JMax is aggressive, Darko is finesse. Both ways have their places. Compare Tay with Ben. Problem is most people refuse to accept a finesse power forward. As a go to guy, their probably right. Matched with D HO, watch out.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Darko went up to block a shot, and the offensive player purposely ducked under him and basically bulled him over. No, it was not a situation where a guy fakes a guy off his feet and ducks under. Darko had a clean block, and then got bulled over. (At least, Orlando contends this, and admits they did not capture a very good shot of the incident.)
  12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

BTW,
    Orlando's opinion of Darko is that he is one of the cornerstones of the franchise, basically D Ho's Pippen. From ESPN:

Told he had to become bigger and meaner if he was ever going to reach his potential, Milicic spent four days a week lifting weights this summer. He not only bulked up from 260 pounds to 278 pounds but also had his way with Spain's Pau Gasol and China's Yao Ming in the World Championship.

Smith and Magic head coach Brian Hill needed little time to see that with Milicic's newfound dedication, combined with his overflowing arsenal of skills, it was time to promote him to the starting lineup.

"I tell people we'll be as good as those two 20-something-year-old kids take us," Smith said, referring to Howard and Milicic.

Howard's relentless aggression has seemed to rub off on Milicic, and at times the possibilities seem limitless for the Magic when the two are on the court together. Because their skills are so different -- Howard brings the powerful low-post game, while Milicic has a feathery-soft shooting touch and the passing skills of a guard -- they seem like a match made in heaven. In a preseason game this week against Atlanta, the two displayed their blossoming chemistry by assisting one another on five different baskets.

This should have been Darko and JMax, nice job Joe.
  13. roscoe36

16, I'm not hassling, but please always link to anything you quote as a sign of credit. We're not "licenced" for reprint without permission. Credit is typically a good faith workaround. :)
  14. max

max All-Star

Everyones hanging out in the Darko thread, as usual.
  15. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Sounds like a good future FA target to me. :fingerscr
  16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Un...Huh.. That's exactly how I remember it.

But wait...
    That can't be true. It doesn't support bballjay's arguement. :laugh:
  17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Howard to the Pistons would be awesome! I doubt if Orlando ever lets him go though. They'll reup him wayyy before that happens.
  18. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

19. roscoe36

TaShawn, do you go back to the BadBoys days? Maxiell reminds me of Dantley.

His black-hole-edness, his game almost exclusively in the paint, and his ability to draw fouls with contact.

Obviously AD was a more polished scorer and rebounder, but it would be neat to look at his eFG and True Shooting #s contrasted with JMax.

And admittedly, it is only the preseason...
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, I was playing Middle School ball when the bad boys were dominating.

So, here are Dantley's numbers during the 3 seasons that he was in Detroit.

192 games. 3,894 points. 2,484 field goal attempts.

That means that he averaged 1.57 points per shot.

eFG of 78%.*

He had 8 Free throw attempts per game (12 per 48 minutes).

I have to bring up the small data set for JMax, because we are only looking at 5 games worth. If he kept up his current pace, he would be the greatest player in NBA history. I think that it is safe to say that he has a nice touch and a natural ability to get fouled.

* by the way, I'm not using the true definition of eFG%, since I am also including point off of free throws in the numerator. I'm not sure what the stat I am using is called. Maybe modified eFG.