Darko

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Jackattaq, Sep 19, 2006.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

it's simple to me. darko isn't a bench player. a lot of people are just looking at stats but darko shuts down the paint. i agree with you lee darko covers lots of ground for a 7' guy. darko routinely makes people miss cause he covers so much ground so quickly and he gets cheated out of a lot of blocks. he does in fact inbound precisely and quickly.

he prefers to start and some team in this league will do it without making him jump through hoops to "earn" it. if orlando doesn't get to it soon he will sign with cleveland, miami, lakers, indiana, san antonio, minnesota. he will instantly make them contenders or push them over the top. i'll agree that right now darko doesn't look like that superstar player but he is a pippen type player. match him up with a star and they will both be great.

b. hill hasn't figured this one out yet. darko and howard on the court at the same time is one of the best defensive frontcourts in the league.
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

You're crazy.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I really, really hate talking about this guy, but this darn thread just won't die!!!! I'm so sick of hearing about Darko, but I just couldn't resist throwing in my 2 cents.

I agree as well. I can only speak for myself, but I know that was one of the things that had me the most excited about him. A 7' with agility and quickness. He's very athletic for his size. But I'll take dedication and heart over potential any day.

Yeah, he should join the club. Show me a player who doesn't - especially a young player.

At what point does it become Darko's fault? His 4th team? Maybe the 5th or 6th? Maybe its Darko that don't get it. Maybe its you that don't get it about Darko. Maybe its you that hasn't figured it out.

It looks to me that its clearly a motivational issue with Darko. The Pistons tried to light that fire in him and failed. Now the Magic are trying the same thing, with not starting him and making him play for a long term deal.

I really think Darko would have been much better off had he gone undrafted, or at least not as a lottery pick.

So Darko isn't playing like a superstar, but match him up with a star and he'll play better. Wow, that's really going out on a limb there. That's what superstars do. They make those around them better. Including 7 footers with a sense of entitlement and no desire. The trick is for him to do it on his own.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This takes the cake. First it was Darko needs minutes to grow...he wasn't given a chance to earn it. Then it morphs into Darko needs to start and shouldn't have to earn it. Its not like he has to out play Yao ming to prove he's worth a starting job. This is Tony Battie.
    Darko has been getting minutes. If he can't handle coming off the bench for part of the season (his first full season with the team) I'll lump him with the mark blounts and magliores of the NBa.
  5. bball jay

yeah. but what happens when the potential guy puts it all together?? the problem is nobody has ever tried to get the most out of darko. they have tried to stuff him into a mold when darko's game breaks the mold. don nelson would have the guy playing like an all star. darko has dedication or an insane steroid habit. he put on like 20 lbs during the summer. he's worked on his post game and is effective down there exclusively. i think darko is doing great this year seeing that he isn't playing in his comfort zone (face to the basket).

how many teams did it take finals mvp chauncey to figure it out. darko is barely 21. he should still be in college. people forget that darko has about 13 more years in the league. i think it's worth it to wait for him and help him figure it out.

i think the magic will be effective because they are playing him while telling him to earn it. it's difficult for him because he has to outplay battie but battie gets the benefit of playing off of howard. battie gets rebounds and points off of dwight howard. the magic will have a tough time signing him when someone throws him a big contract plus starting and starter minutes.

he is entitled. he's 7' and a athletic freak. if orlando doesn't want to give it to him he will get it elsewhere. darko knows this. so teams can be stubborn if they want to while he's under contract.

he can be the star if put on the right team. darko will make d.howard better too that's why they should play together. darko will rack up the assists because he is a superior passer to d. howard. they will get lots of weak side blocks together. darko will get more rebounds because of alterations from howard and vice versa. my point isn't only to make darko better but it will make howard better and the orlando magic better.
  6. bball jay

well i never said darko had to earn it. i always thought he should be getting minutes. tony battie plays off of howard. darko has to play with the second unit and they play off of him. the game is easier for tony cause dwight is out there. the true test of both players is how they play with equal minutes on the court with dwight. darko hasn't complained at all about his minutes or coming off the bench. it's just me and some people in other forums that think he should start.
  7. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At first, I thought Darko COULD have an attitude problem. But now, I'm pretty sure he has one. The biggest problem problem of Darko is himself.
    He'll have his breakout season, though. I can't see a talented big like him becoming the second outcoming of Derrick Coleman. He'll do fine- maybe not this season, maybe not in the next 2 or 3. But he'll surely do. Some players simply need huge amounts of time or a midlife crisis to pan out.
    As I said many times, Joe TOTALLY blew it by trading him way too early. Ben's gone (and that's probably good since he isn't worth all the money the Bulls pay him) and we have a lack of big man. Exactly the void Darko needed. We also have a huge need for a solid backup PG who can provide a spark off the bench. Exactly what Arroyo offered. If Joe hadn't done that trade we'd be in the title run. Not because Darko's that great, but because we'd have a quite nice roster that could lift us to the title if used correctly.
    The team is still ok, but since the title in 2004, it got continually worse. I don't get it. Why are Teams like Dallas or San Antonio able to keep their core together or at least fill their voids while our Pistons let players like Okur, James, Milicic, Ben, Arroyo or even Campbell go without getting enough in return to be considered a contender? The roster quality has continually diminished back to mediocrity. This could have become a dynasty or at least a team that collects more than one 'ship.
    I can't stand people talking about the title from 2004 as a "one hit wonder" that was only possible because of a Lakers team with a lack of team chemistry and an injured Malone.
  8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Watching Darko in the Seattle game tonight..he still looks pretty wack. lol.

Brian Hill was pretty funny yanking Darko out the game after only 2 mins of being on the floor. Apparently he wasn't too pleased watching Darko get manhandled by Nick Collison on the offensive boards after a missed free throw. Darko does NOT look like a very good rebounder. His positioning looks horrible. Somehow he managed to draw 3 fouls in the span of 2 mins. lmao!
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pretty interesting happenings in the Orlando game tonight regarding the Darko. He gets in the game and immediately fumbles a nice pass out of bounds like he wasn't expecting it. He goes back on D and steals the ball, but turns it over on the outlet pass. Then he fouls the guy who stole the ball as he took it to the hole. The 2nd free throw is missed and Darko fails to get the rebound that came right to him. He then fouls the player who got the rebound... and he is yanked.

He is reinserted again in the 3rd quarter and he picks up a couple more fouls and a turnover.

But for some reason, Brian Hill decided to put him in again in the 4th quarter. The Magic quickly go from 4 down or so to a healthy 8 point lead. Hill leaves Darko in down the stretch and puts Howard in with him. Darko blocks a couple shots and the two of them lock down the paint. Darko dives to the floor in a crowd for a loose ball, passes it out off of his belly and Turk hits a huge 3 to put them up further.

Then with 2 minutes to go in the game with a 6 point lead, then run a play for Darko on the low block. He fakes, spins baseline and appears to make the shot as he gets fouled... but they call him for the hook and he fouls out of the game.

In the next 1:58, Seattle goes on a 7-0 without Darko on the floor and takes a 1 point lead with 3.5 seconds.

And Turk erases the whole collapse with a fade away last second shot from the corner.

Darko played like crap, got a 2nd chance, played like crap again, got a 3rd chance, and then helped to win the game.

The moral of the story is that they need to pair him up with Dwight Howard and let their defense make up for their turnover proned offense.
  10. Slippy

moral is: he has to stop playing like crap.
  11. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I an beginning to suspect what some of you guys have known for a while now, that I don't know the first thing about basketball. I just cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on in Darko's case.

I went back through the many pages of the Magic forum, pages that were posted during the game. As you might suspect, there are people down in Orlando who do and who don't like Darko, just like in Detroit, and the comments about the many fouls on DMC last night were met with comments of outrage and disbelief, including the one where he made the basket while being fouled, only to be called for the non-existent hooking foul.

His demeanor and play reflect many things from playing like crap to being very productive and active, all during the same game. I guess this is the result of being so young and inexperienced, but it is so frustrating. I felt that it was really bad until I realize that Dwight, the one who everybody is predicting all-star status for soon, is also having very bad segments.

What I do see is that they both play well when played together, and the team benefits from it to a very large degree. So why don't they take advantage of that?

I don't know that either.
  12. Slippy

What is with all this moaning about darko needing to be paired with D.ho??? What he can't play without him? I'll buy the he'll be inconsistent for a while line because he is still developing but saying he sucks so bad he needs to start defies logic. If brendan haywood gets outplayed by etan thomas, haywood sits. It doesn't matter if haywood plays better with jamison and arenas.
  13. bball jay

nobody ever said he can't play without d. howard we are just saying if the evidence shows that the whole orlando magic not just darko plays better when the two are on the court why not do it??? nobody said he sucks so bad he needs to start. i'm saying the he plays better with howard. batman and robin, stockton and malone, arroyo and mcdyess. the point is when you find a good combination you use it.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Jay, one of these kids is not like the other... LOL!
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The reason that a lot of people are calling for it is that it is very unusual to have a dynamic combo of 7 footers. Duncan and Robinson, Ben and Sheed (even though Ben is only 6'3" without the fro). If it is pulled off, then it really has a feedback effect... creates spacing, shuts down the paint, allows the guards to pressure on the perimeter, etc.

Dwight gets shaky outside of the paint like Ben, and Darko lacks aggression and likes to shoot the ball like Sheed. Also, Darko is on the last year of his contract, so there is some pressure to see what they have. Without some sort of found treasure, they are probably not good enough anyway. So, they may as well roll the dice a bit.

Same with the Pistons and the bench. We need to see what we have, cause the starters can't win it alone.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And lest we forget, Ralph and Hakeem did all right. And maybe are the most potentially similar looking pair, though Howard probably doesn't have the same finesse game.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just wanted to mention, that Orlando won last night using Howard and Darko in the 4th quarter. Together, they are each far better than when either is out there alone. And obviously, as evidenced by who played in the 4th quarter, Coach Hill knows it.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm sick of Magic fans cursing Hill all the time.

He never gets credit when he plays Darko, he only gets crapped on when he does not.

Darko fans are very hard, and unreasonable with coaches.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with that. I think that Hill is pretty gutsy when it comes to giving guys PT. He played Arroyo down the stretch 2 games ago when Nelson was struggling. Also, I don't think there is another coach in basketball who would have put Darko back in the game last night in crunch time after his first 2 horrific stints.
  20. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I think that Brian Hill gets so much flak because we all know so much more than he does :pound:.
    We just cannot understand why he cannot see what we see :stirthepot: .

I think last night was the first time this season that he had Darko out there with Dwight in the fourth quarter, this season. I could be wrong about that. But that is why so many call for the Double Ds be out there together to end the games :hoops: .

I do think he had a lot of courage to put Darko back in that last time. I think the Serbian Mob kidnapped his wife and kids at the end of the third quarter :pound: .