Darko

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, Jul 3, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It is when you play the guy and he doesn't play hard.

There is a reason why this guy is on his 3rd team in 5 years. If he was a second round pick, he would be out of the L, but his contract was guaranteed and everyone is still enamoured with his upside, even with the hype erosion over time from lack of evidence.

He's gone from future league MVP to quality big man. Give him 3 or 4 more years and he will be "serviceable big" who says "play me or trade me".
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

n is a variable for the formula. It just holds the place until you put a value in there. The ! (exclamation point) is a symbol for factorial. Factorial means that you take the number, and then multiply it by all the proceeding integers down to one. For example: 5! is 5x4x3x2x1= 120.

The formula is used to calculate total number of possible combinations in a given set. In this case, the question is, how many 5 man lineup combinations can you have with 15 players.
  3. max

max All-Star

I thought Darko was happy in Orlando and only had problems with the GM?

Kind of ironic that he goes to Memphis. Kind of like the 2nd pick never happened as it was Memphis who gave it to us. Good thing Dumars was able to finagle Orlando's pick from them.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The pic don't lie.
    :pound:
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I understand Darko's request for playing time is partially a result of some health issues that he has been dealing with so I'm OK with it.

Apparently he developed some circulatory problems to his lower extremities during his first 2 years in the League. His pine riding in those days contributed heavily to this problem.

He has to be very careful to move about quite frequently to keep the circulation regulated and for this reason he also likes to avoid playing any garbage time minutes. The reason? He doesn't move during garbage time so the circualtion problem is aggravated.

I trust these issues have beed addressed in his new contract.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Ben Wallace
  7. mikhail1973

ESPN - TrueHoop
    More in the article.
    I am at a loss about what fit in what Flip's system they're talking about. Anyone has any thoughts on that?
  8. max

max All-Star

I don't know but I don't think it was an easy go at first for Darko in Orlando. He got better with playing time. The kind of playing time that they had the patience for and Flip didn't.

Still its not like he was 1st team NBA or anything like that. He has not made it yet.
  9. roscoe36

I appreciate Henry's blog, but he's no expert when it comes to evaluating basketball talent.

ESPN has an interest in Darko panning out. Chad Ford's buyout must be enormous.
  10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

The blog has a point though. Darko has been on the short end of coaches his entire career. LB hated him, Flip wasn't willing to put up with rookie mistakes, and BHill preferred loyalty and seniority to talent.

Yes Darko played half-butt in gt in Detroit, yes he was inconsistent in his time with Orlando, but he was better inconsistent the whole year than a consistently mediocre Battie. Just as Henry said.

And Darko completely outplayed Battie in the playoffs, yet Battie still played more minutes. Sounds like a coach valuing loyalty over winning.

I know a lot of people still think Darko is a bust, but consider this, as of now, he is the highest paid free agent center this year (not counting Howard). Teams have had 4 years to evaluate him, and despite his inconsistencies, he still got more money than Mikki Moore, Varejao, and Magliore have been able to get.

Iavaroni isn't an idiot, he's not part of the DHOF or a Darko hater, he knows how to scout. So you have to believe that Darko has been a victim of his circumstances, and not a cause.
  11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

There is clearly a major difference between the theoretical number and the realistic number unless you were playing in an under 6 foot tall league where most of the parts could be interchangeable. But in the NBA they are not. So in reality the number of actual playing combinations you can get with 15 guys is a lot less than "n factorial" because the fall off is exponential going from the theoretical to the real.

:hoops:
  12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

So, I need a math major. The scenario:

15 guys, 5 can play at one time, 5 capable of playing the 4 or 5. 5 capable of playing the 1 or 2. And 5 capable of playing the 2 or 3. I hate small ball, so no 3's playing the 4.

How many possible lineups?
  13. roscoe36

The only reason he is better paid than those guys is his height and youth.

And yeah, he is a bust for as #2 overall pick in that draft.
    I'm not buying that Darko is a victim. All we wanted was some effort when he was in Detroit. I bet effort would have kept Joe from trading him.

But at the end, he clearly and obviously tanked here, which is unacceptable.

There is a reason why people gravitate to JMax. He's not immensely talented or genetically gifted, but you rarely get the feeling that he doesn't try to be more than he is. That he has committed to proving his worth, and exceeding or meeting expectations.

Darko didn't give us performances like that with any consistency. And in Detroit, where playing hard is as important as winning, that dog won't hunt.
  14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'll second that Roscoe. I think, for the most part if you come here and give it all you have and don't sulk about playing in garbage time or whatever the fans will support you. You get veteran players, like Corliss Williamson for example who got stuck in the doghouse....but didn't pout and worked their way toward some playing time...people respect that.

Lindsey Hunter is the one example of a guy who gives 100% when he is on the court who seems to get bashed quite a bit...don't understand that so much...but Darko dug his grave by acting like a child.
  15. mikhail1973

Darko was a child when he came to D-town.
  16. roscoe36

and when he left.

"Nightmares, nightmares, nightmares"
  17. mikhail1973

[SIZE=-1]“But Mommy, they made me do it!” [/SIZE]
  18. max

max All-Star

I am a little indifferent to Darko now. We had him when he was 18-20 years old. I am willing to give him the benifit of doubt in that perhaps he has learned a few things since then and has a better idea of what it takes to succeed in this league.

To say he is the highest paid Center. He is by far the lowest paid out of that top draft class. He got a good offer. Not for the full 5 years but its still pretty good.
  19. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Darko demanded a trade, if he hadn't, he'd still be here. As for JMax, all his effort has gotten him little more PT than Darko had when he was here.

The problem isn't the players, it's the system. Which is what Joe is trying to change going into next year. Stuckey and Affalo will be GIVEN PT, as opposed to the old way of having to earn it.
  20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

What about Okur? He said screw Detroit's system and became an all star with Utah making a ton of money.

Corliss, gone the next year.

Amir and JMax make less combined than Darko will next year. Who got the most respect league wide? People need to realize, it aint that much of a privilige to play for Detroit anymore.

People keep saying Darko couldn't make it in Detroit, I say, Detroit couldn't do what was necessary to keep and develop a blue chipper.