Darko's Value

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

sup lazy! what do Memphis fans say?
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Thanks Slippy -- and Roscoe.

No word yet on this from DHOF club members. How surprising.
  3. Slippy

people have chimed in. its been a negative reaction overall. I don't think anyone said anything positive or deflective about it.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Try reading other boards on occasion. This one ain't the only one. As I said on another board, unless you know how to speak Serbian, and are familiar with what goes as acceptable (which can be pretty raunchy), I would not try to judge Darko.

What if you were in a very strongly religious country, and you heard someone over here had sworn, using a very common swear word meaning you want someone to be damned by their creator. Are you going to start preaching that the American who said that meant what he said, and should be severly punished for such a thing? Are you really ready to judge someone's severity of swearing-without even knowing the language, or what goes as the norm?
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And some of you didn't think he had fire. He has too much. He needs therapy he's so intense. He needs a transponder bracelet on his ankle and neighborhoods should be notified when he is within 50 miles.
  6. Slippy

find me 1 link where someone says that thats the norm for serbians. Swearing whatever. He was pretty specific as the WHAT he wanted to do with the refs, their moms and their daughters. I don't care how many expletives he uses but to defend that behavior with a cultural shield is to insult that culture. Oh yeah. Serbians to that to each others moms all the time.
  7. Slippy

Apparently I take that back.
  8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

The problem here is...even the loose translations have all been pretty consistent. I don't care what country your from, that's pretty vile and there's no amount of explaining about dialects, cultures, and/or linguistics that makes that kind of rant excusable.

I find it remarkable that anybody can still make excuses for this guy. If someone like Barry Bonds had said something even close to this, there would be a public execution.
  9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Lee,
    I come from the same part of the world Darko comes from, and my language is close enough to get a pretty good understanding of what he did say. And I'll say this - it is unacceptable in Serbia just like it is unacceptable here in US.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lazy, when I first heard about this and thought about fan reaction, I thought about you. I'm sorry to see you are disappointed and appreciate your classy and thoughtful perspective.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Show me the link to a translation that was that specific. I think a lot of people are just making stuff up. I have been reading translations extensively over at the Grizz forum. I can't refer you to that since they have deleted the thread. Basically, Darko was cussing up a storm. Sure, there is a translation. But the most correct one is that he was swearing and cussing, blowing off steam, and there simply was not much more to it. Certainly nothing meant seriously by Darko.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Quite unacceptable, just as if you were to start taping the conversations in the locker rooms of this country after a loss. Care to wager how well it would be accepted if some of what Larry Brown was yelling at Darko in practice if it got taped and released to the public? I will give this one excuse for Darko cussing. He learned from the master.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Can I hold you to that?
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well...I have to disagree with you on that last statement. I think that in general, merely saying something is vile while actually doing a deed is much worse...but I see your point. Darko should not be let off and I hope the punishment is severe.

I didn't like Darko very much before, but I'm glad he did this because it removes any lingering doubt I had about him. Now there is absolutely no question in my mind that he is a spoiled self-centered overpaid brat.

I hope that those people that avidly supported this (insert expletive) stick finally get off the Darko bandwagon, because the wagon is filled with (insert same expletive).
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Lee, that's a bunch of bunk and you know it!
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No its not. Believe what you want. And by the way, I will still continue to watch every game Darko plays.
  17. Slippy

contains vulgar language

We Suck at Sports: Darko: "I politely disagree with the officiating"
  18. Slippy

The difference is that its public. if LB said that in public, he would be crucified. IF Darko said that behind closed doors and it leaked out...that would not warrant anything at all. But Darko apparently made those comments public. Amir can flip the bird in his pool and that ain't the same as Vick doing the same thing to fans at a game.
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

LB knows Serbian?:) Seriously though don't blame this on LB. He's a grown man it's not like Larry Brown raised him as a child. If anything he learned it from Sheed, but Sheed doesn't even take it that far. Sheed is very open, but he is not dumb enough to lose control in a press conference/interview.
  20. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

It always nice when your the GM of your new team is forced to make a public statement about your actions before you've even suited up for the preseason.

Griz unhappy after Milicic outburst