1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

David Stern's and Officials article

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by justise32, May 2, 2006.

1. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

I just read an article on David Stern and his comment on how the officials are handling the playoffs.

I GOT A QUESTION????
    What is this suppose to me? :confused:

The escalating noise level in arenas and the excessive time it takes to play the final minutes of a game are a growing concern for Stern.

He said the league is monitoring noise levels and fining teams for exceeding it.
    :confused:

Too-too many time-outs. Huh???

The league plans to examine the numbers of timeouts at the end of the game, adding there already are limits.

"Usually I come into the office and say, 'Will someone please time the last three minutes of this game that took 22 minutes and tell me why?'" Stern said. "I'm not sure that we're showing our fans our best basketball."

:fingerscr WHATEVER!!!

You can read the article at: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2430769

2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Obviously Stern has gone delusional in his attempt to boost TV ratings and draw the international audience to NBA basketball.

What does the noise level in an arena have to do with anything other than creating excitement for those in attendance, and players alike!

Has King James requested silence as he plays these days? Perhaps D Wade wants the noise to be toned down so the TV audience can hear his bones crack from one of his numerous falls.

I can hear the coaches now applauding the call for less timeouts. The only coach that might want this proposal is Edddie Jordan who just lets Arenas and his boys coach themselves for stretches at a time, don`t believe it.

Look for some strange rule changes this off season. Stern is going to run folks away, not bring more people in.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with the timeouts. It kills the flow and coaches use them just because they are there.

I say that teams should only be able to use 2 timeouts in the last 2 minutes of the game. Let the coaches prepare their teams before they get there. Maybe shooters would stay hotter without all the breaks and it would increase the excitement.

4. max

max All-Star

TO's are a pain in the arse if you are there in person. Not so bad at home but still an annoyance.

Not so much the timout itself, rather the length of them. Stretched out to as long a 5mins in a National game with both coaches calling as many as 3-5 of them in the final minute of a close game is a lot.

Why not just turn the balance of timouts remaning in the final 2 minutes into shorter durations? That way teams can still use them and fans will not have to wait as long.

Taking them away would change the game too much.

On the noise - why encourage it so much? I thought raising excitement was a good thing.

5. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

not sure how many full and 20's teams get in the final 2 minutes at the moment (someone update me), but how bout they just scrap all full timeouts and replace them with 20's. it doesn't take that long to design a play, considering it should be one they already know well...

so how bout 3-4 20's in the final 2 minutes, that way the tv stays with the action and coaches are forced to think quick on their feet. and it builds the excitement a little bit without putting us to sleep for minutes.

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

1 timeout, and you can stop the clock by running out of bounds.

7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I can't wait to see what the $$$advertisers$$$ think of those ideas.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is D. Stern throwing digestive wastes at the wall to see what sticks. He's absolutely clueless about what fans want.

I want more RonRon. I want more physical play. I want the Pistons on primetime. I want Bernard King in the HOF. I want to be loud.

How lame is a game that ends without the customary FT march? There is a nice scoring drop as teams dribble out the clock because there are no timeouts. At what point in the game do you start? Up 20 with 3 minutes to go, just waste possessions?

Can you imagine a stadium full of face painted fans, covered head-to-toe in the team colours clapping and remaining seated? Ridiculous!!! They may as well lace the concessions with thorazine.

Does anyone think that they are going to reduce timeouts and cut into ad time? The NBA is all about selling every conceiveable minute, inch and sound to advertisers.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here something that bugs me about the announcers and free throws. How many times have you heard them say "they are sending to the line and stopping the clock, that's the worst thing they could have done."

How much time gets wasted when a guy just dunks the ball? 1-2 seconds until it is inbounded? They are confusing football strategy with basketball strategy.

Stopping the clock does not hurt either team in basketball.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I want to hear noise from the stands whether I am at a game (only 1 this year) or if I am watching it on TV. It means the fans are into it and it is not a boring game. Even when the Pistons are on the road and kicking %%%%%, the transplanted Pistons fans even make some noise..

I was just floored when I went to the Pistons-Clippers game here in LA back in December that closed to 2000 people had on their Pistons garb and then the chants were ringing out DEEETROIT BAASSKETBALLL all over Staples Center.