1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Defending JJ

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As I mentioned, JJ would be taken out of the rotation eventually. And as I stated, I doubt many people will join me in supporting this guy getting playing time anymore. Afterall, the great coach has spoken.

So who will defend JJ with me? I will start.

As a small forward, even though he was just a touch slow for one, he hustled like crazy and actually helped our rebounding. Gee, this last game he played, he was our only plus player despite only making one basket himself.

Also in this last game, he helped hold Dirk nearly scoreless in the first half. Good defensive job there. DNP the next game?

The guy can shoot the three. If let to shoot. He can catch and finish at the basket well. Good hands. This comes in real handy finishing fast breaks.

Now while we are at it, Daye and Summers have also shown promise. Indeed, Summers has particularly had a lot of bright spots this season, if and when he gets to play.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

JJ should definitely be getting 20 minutes a game. To develop him, and because he helps our team now. I'm not a big fan of Daye or Summers, but I think they should be getting at least 15 minutes combined a night as well.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with you. JJ has gotten lit up a few times this year, but look who was holding the blow torch, Kobe or Melo etc. There is no shame in that.

Jerebko can just play. He may not be great at anything, but he is not hopeless at anything either.

I said it a while back, but the pecking order for the 3 rookies in terms of deserving to play goes 1.) JJ 2.) Summers and 3.) Daye

I think it is pretty bad that Daye can't get on the floor given how bad things have gone. I don't blame the coach for that either.

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

JJ should and will play more. He makes his living off hustle right now. I don't think it's a bad thing to limit his minutes from time to time.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

JJ has 30 starts this year as a 2nd round draft pick. Not sure he needs any help from us. Stuckey and Ben Wallace are the only one's with more starts.

As far as 3-point shooting, he is only taking them when he's wide open and is hitting them at a .255 clip, which is fractionally higher than Chucky Atkins.

6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

He will get his time back. I think the coach is experimenting to see what he has. He has an almost complete roster at his disposal for the first time all season. I have no problem with him juggling the line up.

I don't mind JJ playing the 4 as I thought the skills he has are suited to that position. He is a bit undersized but I thought he would make up for that in hustle.

What I need to see is either Daye or Summers given the ability to fill in at the 3. Tay needs his minutes reduced and I don't want to see one of our guards playing SF.

I think Kuester will get to this point but I hope it doesn't take him forever to get there. I actually see Summers replacing Chucky on the roster before the end of the season but I am not sure who else will sit with Chucky once Bynum is healthy.

We have enough guards to man those two positions, we have the forwards we need as well. The Center position is our weakness and we need to find a way to make up that deficiency from the other positions.

It may not be a popular opinion but I still think Kwame can give us some things defensively and when we are getting lit up by an opposing big, I would like to see Kwame get a crack at him. Could Brown have been more help on Dirk then what we had going?? We'll never know.

7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'm with you 100% Lee. JJ should definitely be regular part of the rotation. I pray that what Q did in the SAS game was aberration.

Daye should be the SF when Prince sits down. The only time that I'd like to see Rip or Stuckey at the 3 is against undersized bench SFs. Daye would work well as a bench SG as well, like you mentioned several times. However, that position is way too crowded for him to get minutes there.

Summers unfortunately is the odd man out. I'd like to see him play more to see what he's made of. THe best scenario would be to have Summers & Daye split bench SF minutes.

8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I agree.

9. baller

baller First Round Draft Pick

Kuester on the San Antonio lineup switch, moving Jason Maxiell back into the starting lineup at power forward for Jonas Jerebko: “Just a change of energy. Jonas has done a wonderful job for us and is somebody who’s going to be a very special player in our organization. Sometimes you’ve just got to make some adjustments. And Maxy came in and did some nice things. We’ll see how it goes the next couple of games. But we’re focused right now on getting Max to play at a high level. He has shown signs.

This last part scares me. He has shown signs? What about the rookies? They have shown signs! More than signs!

Come on..

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

JJ and all the rooks should get more PT in a down year.

We should know by now that players PT doesn't always make sense before the deadline... if they need Jmax or Rip to get more attention to improve their trade value then it's a good thing.

I'll wait til after Feb before getting excited about the kids PT.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. From what I've seen so far, I like all three rookies. None of them should several consecutive games of DNP the rest of the season. Keep sending them out there and let's see what we've got.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I like starting Max at the PF spot. I like that Q said they are trying to get some stuff from Max, because we most definitely need to show the league that he's worth taking on in a trade.

JJ should be getting all of the SF minutes behind Tay. Actually with Bynum out, JJ should be getting a ton of minutes as Tay is probably our best PG on the team right now and should be getting all of the backup PG mins, increasing the number of minutes available for JJ at SF.

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Until we get one our PF posters to get in there and coach this team, we will never be satisfied as who plays and who gets the most minutes. We never agreed on Flip over the playing the vets, Curry's rotation and now after a seemingly endless losing streak, we are now questioning Kuester direction, and yes it does need some scrutiny here.

I am all in favor of JJ playing and even starting...if needed. However, the 27 mins a game might be a bit much when you have your # 1 pick sitting on the bench 13 mpg and has three DNP's. Those min have gone down since Tay has come back and there is no way Tay should be playing 35+ mins a game while still trying to recover from a ruptured disc. So I am adding an addendum to this thread called defending AD:sssh:

14. max

max All-Star

Thing about rookies is if they do not play much in their 1st year then they never will for your team. Tend to build around them over the summer because they would still be un-proven players.

JJ and Day got off to decent starts but it's not enough. Not 1/4 of a season.

Whats worse than losing? Losing with the same tired old vets. Its beyond dull.

15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Lee's preaching to the choir.

We all want to see JJ and the rookies get steady minutes.

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think he is recruiting for the choir.

17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It has become pretty thin, lately, hasn't it?

18. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's what I'm thinking. Hopefully that last part of Q's quote reads like 'Other teams have shown signs of trading for him'. But I have no idea who would want him on that contract.

I think the fat lady has begun to warm up as far as this season goes.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

NBA.com: AutoTrader +/- Stat

On a cummulative +/- basis this year, Jerebko is last on the team at minus 114. Over the last 10 games, he's -74.

But part of this is because he plays so many minutes. When you look at the +/- per minute of the players on the team, here is how they rank:
    1. -.027 BW
    2. -.037 RS (take that all you Stuckey haters)
    3. -.039 BG
    4. -.079 RH (take that all you Rip haters)
    5. -.083 CV
    6. -.102 JM
    7. -.117 TP
    8. -.123 CA
    9. -.131 JJ
    10. -.141 AD
    11. -.145 WB
    12. -.158 KB
    13. -.343 DS
    14. -.366 CW (yikes!)
    It's weird to see the whole team in the negative. Last time this was the case, they weren't keeping this stat.

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Indeed the +/- seems to be used only to support certain agendas... in otherwords not a peep until it works for the cause.

Individuals +/- by itself is flawed on many levels.... as 5 man units it actually works.