delfino gone from pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I haven't seen any quotes from Delfino since before the World Championships... have you?
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

And it doesn't take an Einstein to understand that the 7-man rotation will not change as long as Flip is here. To believe that he will have magically transformed over the summer into a developmental coach willing to give 8-10 guys regular minutes is a pipe dream.

The Pistons roster seems clogged up at the 2-3 spot...the two starting spots for which, are occupied by the best conditioned players on the team and are both under salary for a few more years. Rip & Tay are both capable of handling a few more minutes. I’m sure Delfino knows this and wants out.

If Playstation leaves, I can't blame him. Though I never cared for his attitude, I think he can play and wasn't given sufficient time. The crossover from LB’s game to Flip’s game has had a big impact on the team and I don’t mean that in a good sense.
  3. max

max All-Star

He will if he wants to keep his job.

Impression I got over the summer is that Dumars wants to see these changes and Flip seems to be onboard based on his comments. Flip even stated that he will go deeper and develope the team even at the expense of a few wins.
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I believe this was before his two interviews saying he wanted to play eleswhere.
  5. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I was just making up something that sounded like what Joe D would say for PR control. I wan't really quoting an actual interview.

Pretty good huh?
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

What Flip 'says' and what he 'does' are very different.
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

He's posturing because he doesn't believe the Pistons. Flip is a proven liar, and the credibility of the rest of the Pistons management is shaky at best.
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I like Delfino but Merc is right. Delfino can't get PT much less a starting role. When looking at your career, this is a dead end. Maybe that's why we get the folks we do. If he's going to take time away from a keeper, then he's got to go. OTOH, you can't keep giving away talent for peanuts and stay successful.
  9. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

How about trading Carlos Delfino and Amir Johnson for Grant Hill and his expiring? :stirthepot:

I don't know about the salaries and I don't want to learn. I just want to continue making dumb suggestions. :wedgie: :wedgie:
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great line lazy. You made me laugh.
  11. max

max All-Star

No it would not work. Francise is still pretty high on Johnson so hopefully we will not trade him away. I don't want to get to the point where we see all these x-Pistons excelling with other teams.

detteam - all that stuff was before the team folded in the playoffs. I would like to think they all learned something from it and that they both are serious about what they are planning.
  12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Which is why Joe D is starting to go from one of the best GMs in the league to one of the worst. It's one to say we don't have room for certain players, it's another to just give them away.

So far we've lost Okur, Darko, Dribbles, Big Ben, Mo Evans, and about to lose Delfino (all players capable of playing minutes on most NBA teams) for a combined 1st round pick, a 7foot stiff and a 2nd round draft pick.

No team improves by giving away assets.
  13. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i really don't understand this at all.

i really don't know whether Carlos could really hack it as an NBA regular, though I am a fan of his. And I certainly do believe that the Pistons need a player of his type.

What i don't get is that I thought JD had told Flip to play Delfino this year. Now all of a sudden he's gone, or he's all but gone? I don't know quite how to interpret that.

But finally, it's hard for me to see in what ways we are getting stronger...the personnel movement and development just seems incoherent.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Translation from the Professor

as.com - Baloncesto
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree. I am a homers homer.....However, it is becoming more difficult by the day to defend this Pistons team. They haven`t played a game mind you, but they seem like a team falling apart before the season has started.

Again, I am not totally giving up, just growing very impatient........:playball:
  16. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

This is the same exact article/quote as before. It isn't new, just rewritten.

Everyone should go overreact to some other thing.
  17. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

super astute of you Hobbs, but i don't remember roscoe posting it as new.

you mean, like, whether or not a translation of an article from foreign press is new or just rewritten??

or how about whether other posters are overreacting to the right thing or not?

seriously, i won't speak for anyone else... i'm mostly just bummin' a little that one of the players i liked from last year and that i hoped to see more of this year might wind up gone....and i'm also confused by our recent moves and how they fit together to make us stronger in the short or long run. but if someone can help understand the strategy/aims/logic of the moves we've made, by all means...

live and let live...
  18. max

max All-Star

Question - Is this a new artice on Delfino's comments or the same one from earlier? I thought Dumars and Delfino had already cleared that up. If it is something new and Delfino is still saying the same things then I don't know.

Yes the moves have not been steller lately. A lot of that was arrogance and some bad guesses. In hindsight it was absolutly stupid to trade your backup point when the iron was hot for a title. And after all that work with Darko one would think he would not be traded unless he was a bust and now he is playing well.

Of course at the time singing Ben was a lock and it was supposed to free money up for Ben but we lost him as well. Go figure, Mohamed had better show more than he did in San.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As usual I concur with you Dlev. This organization appears to be regressing even though we have just come off our most successful REGULAR season. The decline actaully goes back to march of 2005 when the Cavs started courting LB and the NY post started rumours rs that he wanted to move the Hamptons.

Didn't help that LB was having some internal plumbing issues either, but all of those distractions probably cost the Pistons the Back2Back :second: and a coach that could have lead us back to the finals for the possible threepeat:third: . Instead we got one who could just lead us part of the way and chose to follow in LB's footsteps only playing the players that he recognized form the prior two years finals. (with the exception of MO). If Delfino stays, he has to play and if he dosn't then it Joes move to get Flip to do what he is paid to do---get everyone with some talent some minutes to prove it.

Remember the 2004 NBA Champions Pistons--- A Dynasty that never materialized....:(
  20. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

That is one true statement. I had visions of a real run, a genuine dynasty. We all have our own take on why we did not, but it is hard to deny that the '04 Pistons had a real chance to go that way.

Those chances do not come along with any degree of regularity.

DAMN :deadhorse