delfino gone from pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

First of all there is no need to :eek: .With out Ben or with or without Delfino we are under :construction: 3,7-letter words Detroit...... Pistons...... Revenge....... And we all know revenge is a dish best served :cold: So get out the :popcorn: and get ready 4 the :boxing: You see, this year we will reach the :cheerlie-GOAL: this year we will get the dance :djparty: Then it will be what I like to call........ Peanut-Butter-Jelly-Time!!!!! :dancingparty: Now let us :pray: that the Prophecy has been Revealed (But remember the absence of evidence is not necessarily the evidence of absence):amen:

2. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The article on the site that Roscoe linked me to when he asked for the translation was dated September 9, 2006. (And it's the same as the one posted earlier on Saturday in this same thread -- but new and completely different than an interview Delfino gave an Argentine newspaper way back when that was misquoted and badly translated in the US media. In the case of yesterday's article, the translation has been revised, though the revision really doesn't alter the basic meaning in this case, just makes it readable English.)

So that appears to be new, at least there on that site. Even so, it's possible it's just newly reporting older news, but then given the references to meetings during the FIBA games, it certainly seems like something new is going on.

It's important to note that what Delfino here says is that a) he's had offers from other NBA teams; b) he has a real offer from Barcelona; c) the Pistons will not release him to another NBA team but would release him to a European squad.

Nowhere does it say that Delfino has signed with another squad or that the Pistons have let him go, though it gives strong indications that such would be the most likely outcome of the way things are currently moving (at least visibly).

3. max

max All-Star

Thanks Professor.

How can he have offers from other NBA teams? Must have meant that they have inquired about trades. Even so why would Delfino have known about it?

Make me wonder if tampering goes on a lot more than we are aware of.

He seems to be more interested in Barcelona. Strangest thing about this. Usually players are trying to get into the NBA not out of it. This is not like Alex Acker who took a temporary hiatus oversees to avoid sitting on the bench for a year. Delfino has a chance to have a lucrative career in the NBA and he wants to throw it all away for 1mil per oversees just because it would be more comfortable for him.

4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

This is the part of the translation that scares me:

Savic was present in the Japanese city of Saitama, during the recently concluded World Championship, negotiating with the player’s agents and with representatives of the Detroit Pistons, the club with which Delfino still has one more year of contract and an option the club can exercise for the following year.

He can't sign without Detroit's permission, but if Detroit is negotiation, that means they are considering it. Even scarier, the only thing they could possibly negotiate is money, so it looks like Joe and company are willing to go with Super Dupe and Flip as our primary backups for an extra mil in the teams bank account.

These guys are worse than the Marlins. At least they reload after dumping everyone.

5. max

max All-Star

C'mon its not that bad.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice job 16, I missed that when I read it the first time.

Max, some international players are more comfortable living and playing in Europe. Not to mention that European wages can be lucrative particularly when you figure in the bonuses like free transportation and rent.

Acker is making at least $200,000 more than he could have made in the NBA if he took the Pistons QO.

I mean, playing time + more money, = ideal situation right?

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The article is new. The quote is old. The offer from barcelona is also old. The article is reporting on how hard the team is trying to get Delfino rather than how hard delfino is trying to leave the pistons.

I hope they have a game plan to play Delfino. I'm down with a mid-season trade if he still ain't happy but they need to allow him to contribute and try to fit in first.

You have to also look at it from a players prospective...all he's proven in the nba is that he won't be given playing time. Our roster is full of guys who didn't get a chance until he got here. Well, we got some guys who didn't get a chance to prove themselves until they went someplace else.

8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This was also my reading of the emphasis in the article, Slip. Though, like 16 and Roscoe, I was kind of struck that Pistons reps were willing to talk with Savic and thus perhaps help him get Delfino.

9. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Amen to that. Memories of this squad will always be bittersweet.

10. max

max All-Star

Its different with Delfino. If he applied himself he has the talent and opportunity to possibly get 6-10X the amt talked about in the Barcelono offer.

Like I said its a good situation for someone like Acker but most guys with talent and opportunity tend to go for the max deals.

Can he ever make 10-12 mil/season in Barcelona?

11. roscoe36

Delfino is probably looking at BEST given his limited PT at a MLE type offer. Around $5 million a year.

Even that seems high considering how little he has played.

Which is probably why he wants to move. He can make the same, if not more playing in Europe and actually playing.

12. theBigMuddy

theBigMuddy Second Round Draft Pick

its not about going to barcelona as much as getting out of the pistons dead end.

13. max

max All-Star

True, my point was most guys want to go for it and not settle. Tons of players over in Europe that would love to change places with Delfino.

14. roscoe36

I don't necessarily buy that. I think it's one of those perceived things like that the Americans must win gold in International basketball, because, they are the best.

There are a LOT of great players in Europe. Granted it's a different game, and they may not see the same success in the NBA, but several great NBA players like Rodney White go to Europe and disappear to a 4th tier Belgian team until they can get a roster spot in the Phillipine Basketball League.

That Orlando Magic draft pick 2 drafts back decided to sign in Spain for what I believe was as much or more than what he could have received as a lottery pick. Fran Vazquez.

The culture and the lifestyle is different overseas. The money is catching up.

It's the backdraft on David Stern's Internationalization of the NBA.

15. max

max All-Star

Whats the avg salary and max salary in oversees? I don't know but I am sure you can make a lot more in the NBA especially with endorsements.

Can you think of any examples of players that have been in the league a couple of years with a promising future and opted for Europe instead?

What about all the Mo Evans types that are trying to get here?

16. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

I really REALLY don't like the idea of losing Delfino, therefore if Joe finally wants to strongarm a guy into playing here then he should go ahead and put his foot down with CD. I thought after Dumars traded off evans for almost nothing Delfino would feel more accepted and have something to look forward to being here. In my eyes that was a clear indication that he's going to get quality playing time here this year, so what's his freckin problem now... DAMN!?! Bottom line just letting Delfino walk and not getting anything out of the deal would be a true mistake to say the least. I hope this is just a silly rumor and the foreign press has taken CD's words and ran with it once again, Carlos Delfino can help our squad if he shuts up and is also given the chance. Hopefully he is working hard on his suspect (at times) outside shot and overall game is ready to BRING IT this season!!!
    By the way Flip better wake the F up and give the dude a shot with some quality pt for crying out loud.

17. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I don't know numbers Max, and I'm not an expert on Euro League basketball... But I do agree with Roscoe on this one.

I have seen the same thing happen in Hockey in recent years. Now, the top of the top players in the NHL/NBA do make more money than they could playing in Europe. But the young guys and the role players... it's kind of a crap shoot as to where they'd make the most money. I am more familiar with hockey on this topic, but some of the contracts I hear about for Euro-players are even better than what they could get in the NHL.

The other factor is that in Europe, these foreign born players are playing the game, the way they learned it. If they come to the NBA/NHL, they have to learn the North American game, which while not all that different, in both the NBA/NHL seems to have less of a flow to it (which is because of overly involved management of the leagues, in my opinion).

I realize I'm going way off topic here, but it makes you wonder, as the European leagues catch up, financially (which is because the owners of our North American teams can't trust themselves with their own money and have salary caps in place) do we really "have" the very best players in the world? And are there players who could be stars in our leagues that we'll never even see?

And to answer your question, at least in hockey, there is no "max" salary overseas, and therein lies the problem.

18. max

max All-Star

Super. Perhaps I am out of date here but I have not heard of a player already in the NBA with a chance at a prosperous career asking to be bought out so he can go oversees.

If you guys can come up with some?

Now there have been a lot of cases of guys getting drafted and staying over there like Zelly, the magic pick, etc..
    And guys like Acker who go there to for a chance at some PT.

The world may be catching up but unless some of the wealthier countries like Germany, the UK or Japan catch on they cannot compete financially with the US.

19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

joe also brought in flip murray right after he got rid of mo. that's just another person to share minutes with. murray is also more experienced than delfino so he probably thinks big flip will give lil flip more minutes just based on experience alone. in my eyes it was a clear indication that delfino won't get significantly more playing time.

his shot isn't suspect. he's a streak shooter. if he's allowed to put up the shots they will go in. in the world championships he hit 3's on a regular basis. you can't really judge a guys shots from 1 for 3 shooting every 6 games or so. delfino has major game and the pistons shouldn't let him go for nothing like they did my boy darko. anybody complaining he hasn't did it against nba talent didn't watch the world championships. he did very well against our own usa team.

20. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Well, remember Dominique Wilkins? He had to go play in Europe to win a championship. And that's about the only example I can think of.

But what I am saying is that in a lot of these guys cases, I don't think they really care if they don't "star" in the NBA. THEY VANT TO PLAY.

Yeah, they could eventually make more money in the NBA, but not if they don't see any playing time. So if they go to, or stay in, Europe, they still make enough money that they never need a regular job again. And when you get to that point (never needing a regular job again) does it really matter where you play?