delfino gone from pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Sep 9, 2006.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

For a lot of players, yeah. Mo Evans could probably make more money in Europe, a la Acker, but he wants to be in the US, and play in the NBA. But Delfino is an Argentinian, money being equal, he'd probably rather play in Europe, especially Spain.
  2. max

max All-Star

Question is Can you make 6-12 mil in the Italian league? And has another player in Delfino's situation ever asked to be bought out ( hypothetically because it has not happend yet) so he can play in Europe?

Delfino is no scubb. He could have a good career and he has about 15-20 MPG practically being handed to him next season. That should translate over pretty well after his rookie contract ends.

He has talent, opportunity and is already familiar with the US game.

Super - I think Wilkins was pretty washed up at the time he played in Europe. The Celts gave him his last chance and he was too slow at his age. But that was a long time ago.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Can't help but wonder about this writers credibility... Why is he saying that he'll have a new deal with Barcelona withing two weeks... and the negotiations with the Pistons (termination) is getting closer?
    The writer is either blatantly lying or he has some inside information.

If something was to take place you would expect it to happen before camp started.
    Any comments by Carlos about possible trades to other teams would have to have come at Carlos's request... or he would not have known about any offers... my guess is he had his agent look into trades.
    We can all agree that a buyout would be a major setback for the team when you consider they could have drafted Barbosa, Howard or even Baby Shaq....
    If Joe is working on a buyout and he had other trade offers why wouldn't he accept a trade vs getting nothing in return?... at least a 2nd rounder.
    Was this the reason they signed Dupree?
    Can't you smell that smell.
  4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I agree with the other points you made Merc.

But I think they signed Dupree as insurance. With Delfino as a question mark, at all, the other options to back up the 2/3 are pretty risky. I think Dupree was just a move for depth.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think it is safe to say that if Delfino reports to Training camp, we can assume things will proceed as normal.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Another recent Delfino quote from the Siberian Herald... "I don't care what is written about me as long as it isn't true"
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think the door has completely closed on Carlos being a Piston and I still think that there's a possibility that he re-ups with us.

I think it depends on how far its gone in Delfino's mind. Even with major minutes this season he may have already made up his mind to simply play out his contract and get the heck out of Dodge. On the other hand, perhaps major minutes will finally convince him that the Pistons are serious about him being an important part of the team.

But I'm sure that his play this summer has only made him more bitter about his lack of PT with the Pistons. If he isn't given significant minutes from the start of this season, he'll be gone.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have never, ever heard anyone call Delfino a scubb. :pound:
  9. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It's this particular assumption that, if I were in Carlos Delfino's position, I wouldn't feel at all confident about.
  10. max

max All-Star

I know he does not have much to go on based on past experiece but I really believe a lot of thigs changed with that loss to the Heat.
  11. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I get ya. and I want to believe that as well. i just can easily understand why delfino might hedge his bet the other way, for now.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I wonder why Euro teams can't pay on par with the NBA?
    They fill their Arenas in the larger successful towns.
    I read somewhere that Stern was not going after a Euro NBA league yet until these clubs came up with better facilities.
    They must not be able to capitalize on the high $ endorsements.
    They certainly market local products... these companies pay big bucks to have their brand on the FT circle.... they plaster the Arenas with merchandise promos and even have large display ads on the Jerseys.
    Even the best players come here for the bigger contracts... Jascevicious (sp) & Anthony Parker.

Here's an article that talks about the Euro contract comparisons... sounds like if it's a high profile player he can earn more than most rookie contracts but much less on the 2nd contract
    Euros staying home
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Merc,

You have to rmember that the Euroleague is really a champion's tournament. It's not actually a real league with consistent franchises involved and a lengthy schedule.

Most of these teams play for domestic leagues, the Italian Serie A, and Serie B, the Israeli League, the Spanish ACB League.

Now if they were all unified, then they could go out and pursue larger TV deals and endorsement contracts. But they aren't.
  14. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah. just like darko believed things changed with that loss to the spurs. the pistons have no credibility when it comes to young players. when flip came in to coach delfino maybe had some hope but after last season he sees it's an organization thing to not play the young players. the only way fino would believe if he saw joe sit flip down and threaten to fire him if he doesn't develop the youth.
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I don`t know if Joe gave Flip an ultimatum about playing Delfino, IMO if Delfino stays with the Pistons and gets significant minutes, the ultimatum theory works for me!!!!!!!!
  16. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

And I will always wonder why he didn't do it a year sooner :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: !!!
  17. max

max All-Star

The way things were rolling last year I can't really blame him. Plus Evans was outplaying him until he lost his shot.
  18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or not, depending on who you ask... :sssh: :banplease
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In the past, Joe D has always maintained a "hands-off" approach with his coaches. He doesn't give directions to the coaching staff about playing time, who should be starting, etc. Who knows if that will change in the future?
  20. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'll believe Delfino is gone when the Pistons organization announces it. Until then, based on these continued rumblings, I think it is all speculation at this point. I'd love to have Carlos on our team though. Not only is he talented, but he is entertaining to watch. Besides, a good preseason and a quick start in the regular season could bring alot of peace to the lockerroom.