Delfino Says He Wants Out

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ggazoo69, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

I say that we jump to conclusions based on a partial translation and call for this guy to get shipped out immediately.

He is 24 years old and the thing he does best is to play basketball but he doesn't get to play, he sits on the bench and watches others play. Someone asks him about his priorities for next year, I am thinking "I want to play" is an honest answer.

With a contract of about a million dollars Delfino's potential is more valuable than any player we would get in trade for him. Coupled with Joe's comments about getting people (Flip) to listen to him, I am thinking that Delfino will be staying and playing.

With the salary structure being what it is, it really helps to have a young player or two outperforming his contract if you are going to have any depth. Guys like Josh Howard, Boris Diaw, Udonis Haslem, Dwayne Wade and Tay in our championship year. Delfino is pretty much our only shot at having that next year. I believe that this was what Joe was alluding to in his post season interview. Will we be hearing from Joe any time soon?
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wouldn't be the first time. Remember all the cyber stuff we wasted last time we got hold of a poor translation of a Delfino interview.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

That's good that people are just jumping to conclusions because the second i saw this thread I thought it was legit.
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Sorry everyone. I didn't mean to start something here that might not be true. I just saw it on hoopshype and thought it sounded legit. I guess it's more of Delfino's belly-aching. Anyway, go back to using your heads for something other than banging it against the wall. Either that or go back to reading threads like "Does Flip's Tick Bother You?" "Will Ben Ever Love Us Again?" "What Kind of Soap Do You Use and How's That Working Out For You?"

You get my drift. :fingerscr
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Here's a translation from
    **LINK**
    Justin Rogers/MLive Full Court Press Blog

Carlos Delfino is talking to Argentinean papers again. With the help of a co-worker who has a bachelor's degree in Spanish (thanks Mike!), here is a loose, but a contextually accurate translation of the most recent article.
    quote:
    After finishing his second season in the NBA, Carlos Delfino recently settled in our city for a deserved vacation near some dear friends.

After a fifteen day stretch completely dedicated to rest, complete with one of his favorite pastimes: fishing, the Coast caught up with Carlos.

Was this just a season with scarce minutes on the court?

"That's it, but I'm ok, even though it didn't meet my expectations. I had hoped with a change of coach, it would have changed. It didn't change, and even with a new coach, he will still put confidence in the players he knows. Specifically the players that have proven something and the ones that helped make the team successful. I was a little scared, but I repeat, I am satisfied because I did everything that I could possibly do. I don't have any doubts and I'm not bitter. There are better things to come. I still have one year on my contract in Detroit, the coach is still new, and now that Ben Wallace has gone to Chicago, anything can happen. That guy left after six years, and it will be a very hard blow to the team. The team had very high expectations for next season and was hoping one of the players didn't leave. As for me, I do not want to stay in Detroit because I want to be developed as a player on a team where I can play. After two years of having them tell me they want me, they have not given me the minutes they have promised. I'm comfortable, but I'm not content because I want minutes; they are what I need and what interests me. I want to look at the possibilities, see if teams are interested in me, something could possibly happen this summer."

As we continue the dialogue, Carlos talks about the possibility of returning to Europe.

"As far as Europe goes, the doors are always open for NBA players. Without a doubt I have an advantage because I have a passport and I am well known. The fact that people read that I am not happy always gives them reason to think that I will return to Europe, but my dream has always been to play in the NBA. I'm going to do everything possible to fulfill that dream."

"I'm not satisfied to spend another year on the bench. I'd prefer to leave the NBA and try to test my luck in Europe and return to the NBA in the future. It is true that I am young, but it will not be that way forever. Presently playing time is the selling point. I need to get into a rhythm, to have opportunity and to feel victory and defeat. No one wants to be on the bench, without pressure and without the good and bad responsibilities of competition."

Weighing your playing time, do you feel like you improved your game?

"After my first season they said my inability to transition from FIBA defense to an NBA defense cost me. This season I improved my defense. I'm always improving and learning things, but I'm not given the chance to prove it on the court."

What is your relation with the team?

"It was always good, never bad, not even with Larry Brown. When we went to New York last season I spent fifteen minutes chatting with Larry about each others' families. My relationship with the players was also good."

Did Miami deserve to win the championship?

"Yes, mainly for the changes they made from one season to the next. It was a somewhat atypical season. Miami peaked during the playoffs, not like us who peaked in the beginning of the season, or San Antonio somewhere in the middle. Dallas maintained it for three fourths the playoffs, but Miami remained dominant throughout and took advantage of their opportunities. We had a very good, strong beginning, but in the end we ran out of fuel. We didn't have any legs."

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great. Now we have the guys who don't play buying into the "tired" excuse.

Maybe Darko was tired in Detroit.
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Sad, just sad.

The "Going to Work" era is truely dead.

Welcome to the "Dog Ate My Homework" era!
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

He makes some good points.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

LOL. We are now the Detroit Timberwolves :frusty:
  10. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

It's an interesting and highly relevant interview that nobody else seems to have noticed. Thanks for posting it. :)
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think so too.

But will anyone in the organization listen or do something about it?:fingerscr
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This is a great explanation. How do you trust Joe and Flip? Give him minutes guys. Or trade him midway thru the season :mad:
  13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can't say I'm surprised at all. Joe D and the coaches have been lying to him for years. Just the same way they've been lying to us.

Why should Delfino believe Joe this time? Its the boy who cried wolf syndrome.

I don't blame Delfino at all. Hopefully he sticks around though and does get a chance to play. I like his game.

I'm glad he's mad though, I want players that want to play. Not guys that are content to sit on the bench and collect a pay cheque.
  14. max

max All-Star

I am sure he will change his mind if he plays next season. So he is not actually asking for a trade just more PT? Thats about the gist of it.

Ironically the guy ( Mo Evans ) who played ahead of him left for more playing time.

Young guys in Detroit for the past 3 season have been set up to fail. Thats the bottom line. Its not just the coaches its Dumars as well for always signing vets to play the same positions.

Its simply natual for a coach who wants to win to go with the vets and Dumars has been more than willing to supply them.

I don't know why they even bother with drafts or summer leagues. Anyone under the age of 23 has a snowballs chance in hell of getting PT on the Pistons.

Hopefully this will change now that we are a back to the pack team and have lost our main all-star.
  15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

We lost our main All Star? Who's that?

We lost our main marketing gimmick, and a great source of energy. Give the young guys a chance to fill that role, and Ben's loss might not be as big as some national commentators think.
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

While he's here he says he wants to stay... as soon as he goes back home he wants to leave... two summers now.
    His trade value is low right now... he'll need to prove something in the World ships and preseason....
    I guess this long fishing layoff was more important than joining the SL... he must be exhausted from the pine :ohwell:
  17. max

max All-Star

Well he is what 24,25 years old? We expect these young guys to have all kinds of maturity.

He could be using the foreign press to yank everyones chains - play me or else!
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

What he needs to do is work on his jumper. I wouldn't have played him much either with his offensive skills at present. Young players need to get their shot down. With a shot, then he can be good.
  19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

he is the one piston that goes to the hole. slashers are exactly what we need. his jump shot isn't bad at all. he just needs to play more minutes so he can be consistent. ben can't shoot at all but he still plays. delfino gave lebron, wade, jefferson, carter and pierce trouble on the defensive end that's enough to get him some playing time.

if flip can play mo evans who can't dribble at all. how come he can't play delfino?? his shot is really good. you just can't tell a guy to be consistent with his shot if he gets off 5 - 6 shots in game time during a 2 week span.
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

A lotta players can go to the hole... but can they finish?
    He can help create space by knocking down some perimiter shots... otherwise the defense just collapses.

What I find interesting is his comment about finding out if teams are interested in him... has he asked for a trade?