Delfino Says He Wants Out

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ggazoo69, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Delfino:
    Promised? Well now, let's take a look at that. If a player is "promised" minutes and then doesn't get them, what does that tell you. Either:

a) the coaches (two of them now) and JD are plain ole meanies; or

b) the player didn't earn them.

I will be the first to say that he should have got more PT last year. Bout midseason, it was like a light went on and he started to play some defense. Of course the minute he did that there were those who were ready to vote him onto the all defensive team; but what else is new?

And then I read he is on vacation....fishing. Yep; that a sure fire way to earn more PT next year. :ohwell: This cat has enjoyed more vacation time than a six year vet on a six year lottery team. At some point he has to go to work!

Since some feel playing with his national team will better prepare him for the NBA than the summer leagues, I expect he will set the world on fire. But you can bet one thing. If Joe signs Flip Murray or any other 2 or 3 or 2/3; the handwriting's on the wall. Delfino better get with the program or it's hello Clipps! :mad:
  2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Things I would LOVE to hear about Delfino:

"His game is speaking very loudly at the Vegas Summer League, (or where-ever)."

"was the league's third-leading scorer, averaging 23 points. He also averaged 6.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists."

"His brilliant 29-point performance..."

"He was even better than that Sunday."

"He is a very good scorer. He needs to work on the defensive end, but everything we've asked of him this summer, he's done. We are very pleased with that."

"He is playing with more confidence and more bounce."

All I can do is approach this like it's a make-or-break summer," Acker, er...Delfino said. "I am not taking no days off and I am going as hard as I can on every possession. I see a lot of guys out here who want it, but I want to be a contender, too. I am trying to stay in here and last as long as I can."

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Now contrast this with saying (in whatever context):

"I want to play for another team."

"They didn't give me the minutes they promised."

"I have my passport; I can go play in Europe."

"Get the net ready Sergio, I've got a BIG one!"

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Some folks prefer the second set of quotes. :noidea:

Thus the difference between the "Win Now" and the "Win Later" clubs. :tsk:
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

He can be a good player. He isn't yet. If his shot were good, it wouldn't have shown up. You can't keep a shooter down too long. He is a slasher and gets to the whole. Good. But he hasn't learned to finish yet. He can be good and needs minutes. But he is not there just yet.
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

You forgot c, the coach gave minutes to his pet.

And you say hello Clips like that's a bad thing. With the way this team is imploding, under Flip's brilliant coaching, I wouldn't be suprised if at the end of next season, Delfino's complaint is I need to get out of Detroit so that I can play for a playoff contender.
  5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Interesting quote from Flip on Delfino (Mlive):
    Q: How different will this team be next season?

A: We'll be different in some areas, and I think we'll be better in some areas. Prince is developing into a go-to type player. Delfino, with not having the riff between he and Mo Evans, will not have to worry about having an opportunity. You look back to last season and many of our best fourth quarters was when McDyess was on the court with Rasheed. I think McDyess will get more playing time and push himself to become the All-Star type player he was like five or six years ago.

Interesting choice of words, riff. Wonder if there was some fighting going on between the two of them, and it looks like Mo lost. Also makes me really wonder what the heck Flip was doing last year.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What was going on in that locker room last year? How can Detroit beat reporters be so out of touch as to miss all this stuff? With this and Sheed / Ben, sounds like there was a slugfest in there every night.

Botton line for me is I'm glad Delfino is saying stuff like this. He was quiet for a long time and now he probably sees his NBA chance starting to dwindle away. If he was just willing to sit down and do as he was told I think I'd have less respect for him.

Anyway, he is still a ways from being an NBA player. I just hope he gets the chance to either succeed or fail for this team this year. I think he can play in this league, but only the chance to play will prove or disprove that.

He shot the ball pretty well early on last year, but seemed to fall out of rhythm as the season wore on. Once he seemed to lose confidence in his jumper, the drives that he had set up with decent shooting early in the season started to close down and he got a lot of shots tossed back in his face. I thought he made some good defensive progress last year - he clearly has good defensive fundamentals (stay on the ground, don't reach, defend by moving your feet, etc.). And I like that he rebounds and pushes the ball.

Now that the riff is out of the way, maybe he will get a chance.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I just wanna know what a riff is irregardless of whether Flip is being made into an escape goat or a lair over this whole Delphino matter. :confused:
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

1. I'm kinda tired of Delfino airing his PT grievances in foreign newspapers. Regardless of the context or tone, it's become a bad habit. A habit that Memo, Darko and Arroyo did not fall into.

2. I've long wondered how the local press can be so asleep at the wheel. It's almost Orwellian the way they function as a first line PR department for the Pistons at times. No one to ruffle feathers... Perhaps that is why CD feels the need to let loose elsewhere. Perhaps his phone calls to Chris McCoskey and ASB go unreturned.

"Hello? This is Carlos Delfino. Please, return my call. I want to be traded. I have important information about Ben Wallace and Flip Saunders. Please, this is the 11th message I have left since Monday..."
  9. dba

Well, they're not foreign to him.

LOL
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

So now there's a report that Barcelona will be tryng to sign Delfino... this guy is a borrowed backup... might as well cut ties.
    Pavlovic (drafted just ahead of Carlos) has hired a personal trainer and is participating in the SL... sounds like a guy who cares about improving his game in our league.
    Carlos best work on his lure baiting some more... some folks say he's a Master baiter.
  11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

YOU READ: Delfino Says He Wants Out

Okay, we don't know what sort of PT promises Joe has made to Delfino in the past. So we need to stop speculating.

The guy busted his butt last offseason to rehab and to get into good shape. And he wants to play in the World Championships, against NBA players, instead of in the SL for what 5 or 6 games, where they get 10 fouls each, against guys trying to make the NBA (didn't we have this argument before). So we shouldn't question his dedication.

Darko didn't complain about playing time? Arroyo didn't think he should be a starter on another team? Memo didn't leave for more money (granted he actually played)? Get real, Delfino isn't the first foreign player to want a larger role, and if the Detroit papers would actually want to interview him, he may be nervous about expressing himself in his 2nd language.

The guy is young, and his life is basketball. LB actually played him some decent minutes before his injury. Flip treated him like Mo Evans was his son, and Delfino was the red headed step child, and they played the same position on the little league baseball team that Flip coached.

He's trying to rattle the cage. He's trying to explain to his home country fans why one of their golden boys isn't playing.

When he played, he played well. But how do you explain him playing 10 minutes in one game, and playing well, with energy, and defense, and hustle, and then sitting for the next 3 or 4 games? Coaching.

And if you think we have a lot of players that can get to the hole on this team, you need to watch some game film. If you watch it, or if you even saw any of the games, you'd realize, aside from the occasional Rip to Tay on the fast break, we have very little penetration, and Flips offense, with his "huge" playbook is inexplicably one dimensional. Which also explains why teams, in a 7 game series, figured us out.

I don't know if Delfino will ever become a superstar in this league, or if he'll ever really catch on to the "NBA game", but I think he has the skills and the mindset to do it. And as far as he knows, he's done what he needs to do, and what's been asked of him. If he needs to improve certain aspects of his game to play, the coaching staff should be telling him and working with him. His contract is a bargain, and he has the potential to make an impact off the bench.

So as he sits on the bench and watches another year of his prime development time pass him by, I can understand why he is frustrated.
  12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Superstarov, agree, our guys rarely get to the whole and I will go a step further, Flip had no offense in the playoffs. Larry, had an offensive plan/strategy. I didn't agree with it but you knew that Larry was going to pound the ball in and work the clock. It was our will against theirs. What was Flip trying to do???
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, the Detroit writers don't ever seem to take an independent stance. It happens in LA, too, but here there was at least one guy in the LA Times who blasted the Lakers about Shaq and called the team a rebuilding team as soon as he left-- while Laker management was pushing a championship run with Kobe that first year. Many Laker fans were duped into thinking that because they had Kobe, they were still a good team.

We are still a good team but what the heck has been happening since the all-star break???
  14. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Re: YOU READ: Delfino Says He Wants Out

15. dba

I think you're right on the point throughout your post.

And very good point about the summer league. I've never really paid attention to any of the SLs before (but now I can :) ), but so far you really do have to ask if this is the best place to get experience. It's cobbled together teams with some pretty funky rules. I'm not sure how anyone can show what they can do / progress on their game with a foul called on average every 30 seconds.

Granted, Delfino would have played on the Piston's SL team and he may not play as much in the WCs. But still...
  16. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I know where you're coming from with this, but I wonder if that would really be the case or not. Would the coaches actually play a guy who's already under contract that much, and who they think they know, more than a guy who was undrafted, a FA, or a fresh young rookie with their job being to place him for the next season.

I mean we know Delfino will be with the Pistons:fingerscr , but there are guys on the SL team who are trying to prove they should be on the Pistons, and not on the DL team, or that they should be on the DL team and not bagging groceries. And if a guy dominates in the SL... so what? That doesn't mean much. No clear coaching plan, jumbled rotations, tons of transition baskets, and as you mentioned, constant fouls.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree that the Pistons need to go to the whole more.
  18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Plus if he were in Vegas it would have also cut into Acker and Amir's minutes significantly. (Besides, I think there is a 3-non rookie limit per team)
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree. They need to use the whole court more. As in getting out on the break. Delfino could help with this. The guy is swift.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That Speedy guy is pretty swift, too.